You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

David Forde

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 21>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 2:47pm
What did we make of him last night?

Some decent saves but also some nervy clearances which went straight to Polish players although in mitigation, some of the back passes to him were dreadful too.

I still think Westwood is a better option. We've often seen international 'keepers (not just ours) play just fine even though they don't get regular game time at their clubs.
Sponsored Links

grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 2:52pm
Forde is average. Westwood is a better goalkeeper. I would like to see Bunn and Meara to get their passports sorted and see what they are made of. Read in the IT that Trapattoni is going with Forde for the Sweden game.

''Trapattoni confirmed David Forde will keep his place for the World Cup games despite a few worrying moments last night, most notably when he struggled to guide a couple of first half kicks to safety.''

Edited by grannyrule - 07 Feb 2013 at 2:54pm
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 2:57pm
Some decent saves but too many came after his poor distribution gave them the ball
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 3:06pm
I'd still have Westwood ahead of him. Especially against Sweden away, I imagine after we break up various attacks we might need to back pass to the keeper and one of Westwood's traits is his kicking ability. He might be a bit rusty but I think as a keeper it's not as difficult to step in and play. He'll have been training week in and week out so you wouldn't lose that match fitness edge that say an outfield player would lose by not playing.

If Forde is in goal I would see it as a big weakeness in the team and me heart would be in me mouth any time he had to kick under pressure.

If he is not going to play Westwood and even go for Given.

hopefully Westwood can do everything in his power and gets a loan move to a championship club

Edited by t_rAndy - 07 Feb 2013 at 3:07pm
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I'd still have Westwood ahead of him. Especially against Sweden away, I imagine after we break up various attacks we might need to back pass to the keeper and one of Westwood's traits is his kicking ability. He might be a bit rusty but I think as a keeper it's not as difficult to step in and play. He'll have been training week in and week out so you wouldn't lose that match fitness edge that say an outfield player would lose by not playing.

If Forde is in goal I would see it as a big weakeness in the team and me heart would be in me mouth any time he had to kick under pressure.

If he is not going to play Westwood and even go for Given.

hopefully Westwood can do everything in his power and gets a loan move to a championship club

Sums up my thoughts, don't think Forde is good enough, Westwood still the better option despite lack of game time.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 3:28pm
Said it in the match thread, but this is unnecessary tinkering and it could cost us. Westwood has lost the jersey over nothing he has done on the pitch playing for us, but his lack of activity at Sunderland. He may not prove to be a top class keeper when he gets away from there, but he is a long way better than Forde. For all the ' Forde is playing football' arguments, he was dropped for the middle chunk of Millwalls season last year in favour of Maik Taylor (and come to think of it, Taylor started this season @ No 1 as well, he didn't last long though).  No disrespect, but being dropped from a championship team is not the mark of a top class keeper. 

I don't see what Westwood has done wrong in the Ireland jersey to get dropped, jaysus we looked at Ward and O'Shea struggling in the Euros when Coleman and Wilson twiddled their thumbs, and Ward was still first choice when this campaign kicked off. Trap seems to apply different standards for different players depending on his preferences at the time.

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
gwhite View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 3:51pm
Westwood is definitely a better keeper but sitting on his arse week in, week out is hardly ideal prep for facing Zlatan and co. Forde did ok but he'd want to sort his kicking out because if he plays against the Swedes and starts giving the ball to them, we are royally fcuked.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 3:55pm
I thought I was reading a journalistic error when I read that Forde is now Number 1. Westwood has done very well for us.

Westwood can't get a mov, until the summer as Marty wants a good number 2 keeper
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by gwhite gwhite wrote:

Westwood is definitely a better keeper but sitting on his arse week in, week out is hardly ideal prep for facing Zlatan and co. Forde did ok but he'd want to sort his kicking out because if he plays against the Swedes and starts giving the ball to them, we are royally fcuked.

See, this is one of the things I don't get, as it happens, kicking is one of Westwoods strengths (and he is a lot more accurate at finding a target out of hand or off the ground from kickouts than Forde as well), so why are we taking this risk ?? 

Basically, we are installing a keeper with less kicking skills (and he isn't as quick to start attacks either) on the basis that he may be better able to deal with shots/crosses that Sweden throw at us, even though there is no real evidence to say he is any better than Westwood at this aspect of the game either. 

Blueman knows his stuff about keepers, would like to see his opinion on this, but I think tis nuts. 

gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 4:14pm
Fordeys kicking has never been a problem with his club teams because the defenders ply the ball to his better foot. I know David all g
His life and a more dedicated player you will not meet he is always looking for ways to improve his game and if we stick with him he will Improve in every game. He played over 120 consecutive games with milwall before his injury last season he wasnt dropped .

Edited by gufct - 07 Feb 2013 at 4:15pm
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 4:32pm
Hope yer right T, but if he does something silly Vs Sweden that costs us (and I realise it is equally possible Westwood or even Given could do the same if they are selected) there isn't a whole lot gained by the fact he will improve for the Austria game, it might be too late. What I keep coming back to is that Westwood hasn't been dropped for anything he has done with us, it isn't like the time Alan Kelly made way for a brilliant young keeper in Given, we are taking him out for a 33 yr old lad who is reasonably solid and not a lot more. With respect, if he was better than Westwood, he would be playing for someone other than Millwall. 
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 5:28pm
Well speaking as a Sunderland fan, i firmly stand by what Trap done last night in regard to playing Forde! Westwood hasn't played a league game for SAFC in over a year (open to correction)! 

Forde may improve on his distribution though, it was pretty poor last night but he should keep his place in the starting 11 imo.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
PhilliyK View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Granny Grabber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilliyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 5:33pm
Rafa Nadal comes on his line more often than Forde Ermm

Forde is a good shot stopper - yes, command his area - hell no. Kicking wasnt great and as was said when the ball was played to his bad foot but he was getting completely in the wrong shape to be striking a ball as well. Few opportinities for him to come out with only Irish defenders near him and he stood on his line - 1 incident in 1st half I remember think it was clark had to head the ball out with no Polish lad near him and they lost the ball immediately creating a chance for Poland, could have been avoided if Forde came for the ball and actually caught it instead of that punching it crap he did once or twice
MariborKev View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MariborKev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

Fordeys kicking has never been a problem with his club teams because the defenders ply the ball to his better foot. I know David all g
His life and a more dedicated player you will not meet he is always looking for ways to improve his game and if we stick with him he will Improve in every game. He played over 120 consecutive games with milwall before his injury last season he wasnt dropped .

Fundamentally disagree GUFCT.

Great lad as you say, huge time for him.  However at Derry we had to fundamentally change our game as Fordey is incapable of any control of kicks that are anything other that straight up the middle.

We experimented with trying to get Fordey to hit the space in front of wingers and on balance he either shanked it out of play, or way behind the winger, so we had to resort to him playing it short on the deck to Eddie McCallion or Hargan who would bring it out and launch it forward.
Mr.Mojo Risin' View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

pray for Mojo!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Mojo Risin' Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 2:34am
Would feel a lot more comfortable if Westwood started against Sweden tbh.
Ahh heya!
rainpaulo View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rainpaulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 10:41am
Originally posted by Mr.Mojo Risin' Mr.Mojo Risin' wrote:

Would feel a lot more comfortable if Westwood started against Sweden tbh.

+1.....wasn't convinced by Forde at all.
smart man View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
Not so.......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smart man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 7:43pm
Agree with Green Devil. Forde is playing regular football while Westwood is not. Should Westwood even be on the bench? He has slipped down the picking order a good bit in the last year.   
alive and kicking
Blue Man View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 8:22pm
Poor goalkeeper as internationals go, very average at Championship level and its a pity Bunn won't be on board by the Sweden game
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 21>
  Share Topic