You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

David Forde

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 21>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: David Forde
    Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 3:22pm
The Millwall keeper has been linked with moves to Wigan and Sunderland.
Sponsored Links

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 4:38pm
Thought he was Northern Irish no?
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

ericdogg View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericdogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 4:48pm
Played for Derry City...but from the south afaik. Good keeper...having a great season! Thumbs%20Up
International Caps - 7

International Goals - 1
soccerc View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soccerc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

No, born in Galway and played for Galway United.
decky_eire View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decky_eire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 5:45am
yup he is Irish, hopefully he gets the move!
I am no miracle worker....... I am just Giovanni

elroy45 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elroy45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 4:13pm
31 years of age so not exactly young but could yet prove to be an option
criostoir Óg View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote criostoir Óg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

I think you're thinking of this guy Wink

What happens on away trips, stays on away trips...except syphilis!
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 4:06am
Trevor Keane spoke to Forde about his call up.
Good lad Forde Clap

David Forde delighted with call-up
Trevor Keane, 15 March 2011
david%20forde%20B
spacer

Sportsnewsireland.com caught up with Millwall goalkeeper David Forde to discuss his first call up to the Irish senior international squad.

Fresh from a gathering with the Irish pensioners party ahead of the St Patricks day celebrations, the Galway man is clearly delighted about his call up and hopefully a first cap in the friendly against Uruguay, Its been a long time coming, its hard to put in to words, its something that Ive always wanted to do so hopefully I will be given an opportunity to impress.  I am looking forward to working with Alan Kelly (Irish goal keeping coach) and hopefully making my debut

At 31, the call has indeed been a long time coming but David does not feel that age is a factor in this instance, 31 is young for a goal keeper, you look at the premiership and there are a lot older keepers playing at the highest level. I just kept persevering and believing in my abilities and hoped that I would get noticed

Get noticed he has, but its been an unconventional journey for Irelands newest squad member with the Galway born custodian beginning his career with home town club Galway before moving to Barry Town, then making the step up to the Premiership with West Ham United.

The move to the big time didnt quite work out as David failed to make an appearance at West Ham and eventually found himself back where he began at Galway before making the move to Millwall via Cardiff Its certainly been an unorthodox route but it helped that I have belief in myself and kept going.  Football can be funny like that, sometimes it doesnt happen for you at a club, and you need an element of luck too.

I got a bit of that initially at Millwall when I got into the side due to injury but its up to you take the chances when you get them. Millwall is a great club and Ive had a fantastic two and a half years here. Ive been to Wembley twice with Millwall and we are currently 10th in the table just outside the play-off places.

With 8 games to go Millwall are certainly in the frame lying just 7 points off the play offs and the basis for their success has been the form of David, who has kept 17 clean sheets to give Millwall the fourth best defence in the division but to David its all about the team This club is ambitious and we are very committed.  At the start of the season the aim of the players and the management was to push and hopefully get another promotion.

One of the main worries ahead of the crucial games with Macedonia and the friendly with Uruguay is the fact that the 3 keepers selected have only 5 caps between them however David does not see this as an issue This is something that the management team will have looked at and whoever they go with has plenty of club experience that they will draw upon for the occasion. At the moment it looks like Keiren will get the nod for the qualifying game but whoever starts is going to be able to handle it.

Goalkeepers are often described as a different breed of footballer but if David has anything that might make him stand out in the Irish changing them room then he is giving nothing away Well soon find out is his answer before admitting that were all a bit different. One thing is for certain however, David Forde is not just around to make up the numbers.

YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 9:42am
What a remarkable journey! Top marks for perseverance.
packiesglove View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote packiesglove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 11:40am
good keeper, surprised he never got a call before. always done well when i've seen him for millwall
When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't worry give a whistle....
scottyccfc View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottyccfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 11:42am
Always thought he was a great keeper for Derry, he left in his mid 20s and thought after the Cardiff disaster he wouldnt make it, delighted for him!
Hometown football, cant beat the feeling...
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by scottyccfc scottyccfc wrote:

Always thought he was a great keeper for Derry, he left in his mid 20s and thought after the Cardiff disaster he wouldnt make it, delighted for him!

an opportunity to disagree!! Nver rated him when he played over here, thought he was a bit of a dracula-didbn't like crosses- but he has proved me wrong and looks good anytime I see him play.
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 1:07am
The Irish Times - Saturday, February 2, 2013

Forde making the most of changed Irish landscape and increase in opportunities

The Millwall stopper feels he’s in the best shape of his footballing life, writes EMMET MALONE

They never came close to displacing Shay Given as the Republic of Ireland’s first-choice goalkeeper but as he named his squad for the friendly game against Poland last week Giovanni Trapattoni strongly suggested that Keiren Westwood and David Forde are doing enough these days to keep the Donegalman in retirement.

Westwood has been the most obvious beneficiary of Given’s departure and must have wondered how the Italian would react when the long-time number one said over the Christmas that he was available to return again.

Forde insists that life at club level teaches a goalkeeper to accept the events that he can have no hand in but there’s no denying that things have changed for the Galwayman with Trapattoni’s decision to consign Given to history at 36.

The Millwall player is now firmly in the frame to play in each and every Ireland game with just one man standing between him and a starting spot. There is a downside too, though. At 33, recent events might be taken as a reminder that time is running out if he wants to complete the final stage of what has, to date, been a scenic journey towards the top of his profession.

“I’ve been a late developer in my career,” he readily acknowledges. “Hopefully it’s still not too late for me to get to the Premier League. I’m still hoping to achieve that. Staying involved with the Irish set-up, getting some more caps and getting to the Premier League, they’re the ambitions for the next few years.”

Pipe dreams 

For much of his career such lofty targets must have resembled pipe dreams with the former Galway United and Derry City player suffering several setbacks as he tried to make even a fairly modest breakthrough in Britain.

More than once he seemed set to crack it but spells in the Barry Town, Barnet and Cardiff City first teams ended in disappointment and on a couple of occasion he came home to pick himself up and turns things around.

When he moved to the New Den in June 2008, those watching from a distance might have been forgiven for anticipating more frustration. Forde, though, says he always believed and fortunately this time so did Kenny Jackett, the club’s Welsh manager who reckoned the Irishman’s time had come.

“I’ll always be grateful to the manager for believing in me,” says Forde, who also credits the goalkeeping coach, Tony Burns, with playing a major part in his late emergence. With the pair’s support, he played 100 first-team games in barely two years and he’s approaching twice that number at this stage.

Injury ended a long run of consecutive appearances after which loss of form meant that he had to watch as veteran Northern Ireland international Maik Taylor got a run in the side. Having earned his third cap against Oman in September (more than a year after that memorable second against Italy in Liège), however, he got back in and within a week Millwall had put a poor start to the season behind them to embark on a 13-match unbeaten stretch that placed them firmly in contention for a play-off spot.

Fortunes 

He refuses to be drawn on the contrast with the fortunes of Westwood at Sunderland, where the current Irish number one is a long-term fixture on the bench, but remarks: “I think I’ve been doing very well. I’m happy with what I’m doing. I just hope that it’s been noted.”

There’s certainly no sense of injustice on his part. “I’ve been long enough waiting for it,” he says. “And there were times alright when I thought the day would never come but for the moment it’s just great that I’m involved. To be in there, challenging Keiren along with Darren [Randolph] . . . it’s a dream come true really.

“I suppose it [his eventual rise] is down to a bit of everything, including luck. But I’m probably in the best shape I’ve ever been now fitness-wise and I am a far better goalkeeper now than I was 10 years ago. Back then it was all about the potential that I would have had where as now I think I’ve fulfilled a lot of that potential.”   He talks about learning to settle for “controlling the controllables” over the course of his career. Given, he acknowledges, was understandably unhappy with the way the European Championships went but, “maybe, looking at it afterwards, he may have thought he’d made a rash decision”.

Forde, however, can only do his best to make the most of the changed landscape and the increased opportunities it might bring. And on other fronts, events outside of his control may have conspired against him playing in the Premier League next season, something that might be expected to influence the pecking order at international level.

Departed 

Much of their momentum was lost, he believes, when strikers Chris Wood and Darius Henderson departed for Leicester City and Nottingham Forest respectively, with the pair having scored 25 goals between them at that stage.

“Them going took a lot of goals out of the team alright,” he says. “But we played very well on Friday night against Villa (in the FA Cup; a game they won 2-1), that was a fantastic result for us. We know the potential is there.

“We’re a very young side but if we can stick together another unbeaten run like the one we managed early in the season there’s no reason why we shouldn’t challenge for those play-off places.”

He could almost be summing up Ireland’s ambitions in this World Cup qualifying group, a road on which, he insists, there is still a long way to go. “The main thing,” he says ahead of Wednesday’s friendly with Poland, “is for us to get back to the sort of form we showed pre-Euros, to start showing again what we can do.”

He might get another opportunity against the Poles to show what he personally can do too. If the last few years are anything to go by, then the chances are he’ll take it.

Long-term goalies second-string number ones

With Paddy Kenny and Joe Murphy out of favour with the current manager and most likely too old for the next one, most medium- to -long-term goalkeeping options have plenty of promise but struggle to get enough first-team action.

Darren Randolph

The Irish number three did the rounds in the English lower leagues during loan spells from Charlton Athletic, where he never quite managed to establish himself. The 25-year-old moved to Motherwell in July 2010.

Stephen Henderson

Perhaps the most highly-regarded of the next generation, the Dubliner (24) caught the eye at Portsmouth during the first half of last season, at which stage West Ham signed him.

Has yet to play a league game for them but recently had a 16-game run on loan to Ipswich Town and rejoined them during the transfer window after a permanent move to Blackburn Rovers collapsed.

Colin Doyle

Appeared to make his big breakthrough at Birmingham City in 2007 when he displaced Maik Taylor and helped the team to promotion. Having started the following season in the Premier League poorly, he lost his place and has been back-up to Jack Butland, who will leave for Stoke next season.

Rob Elliot

Made his league debut as a 17-year-old almost a decade ago while on loan from Charlton Athletic at Notts County. Played about 100 games for Charlton before heading to Newcastle United in 2011, where Tim Krul established himself as the first choice. Elliot and Steve Harper have, at least until recently, taken turns to sit on the bench.

Brian Murphy

Did well at Ipswich Town after his move from Bohemians but turned down the offer of a new contract, preferring what was reported to have been a far more lucrative deal at QPR . When the club started spending bigger money he slipped down the pecking order.

Ryan Meara

The big 22-year-old New Yorker expressed a willingness to declare for the Republic of Ireland last year and an attempt was made to call him up to an under-21 squad. The New York Red Bulls refused to let him travel but his form from then until he was injured in the autumn will have done little to dampen the interest.

Aaron McCarey

A possible starter for Noel King’s under-21s against the Netherlands next week, McCarey joined Wolves from Monaghan United a couple of years back and got a run of first-team games for Walsall while on loan there .

Seán McDermott

Having been let go by Arsenal last summer, the Norwegian-born teenager, who is also in the Ireland under-21 squad, returned to top flight side Sandnes Ulf . He was quickly thrown into the first team and played six games before the end of the season.

Mark Bunn

The 28 -year-old has had spells at Northampton Town, Blackburn and Leicester City before arriving at Norwich, where he has played regularly since replacing the injured John Ruddy. Though he qualifies to play for Ireland through his paternal grandmother, and has declared his interest in doing so , things have yet to reach that stage.
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
hulkhogan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hulkhogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 3:45pm
should be number 1 imo
Whacha gonna do
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 1:28pm
According to the Irish Times he'l be starting against Poland, and probably Sweden.
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 1:32pm
I'm not surprised after what Trap said about Westwood this morning.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
rainpaulo View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rainpaulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 2:07pm
Don't think the guy is better than Westwood but the is playing...hope Bunn gets sorted soon.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 9:24pm
Dunno about this at all. The logic is very simple to be fair to Trap, Forde is playing, Westwood isn't, therefore he deserves a chance. Wouldn't argue too much with that, but it is rare to change your goalkeeper without the fella with the jersey doing something wrong, which Westwood hasn't. With respect to Forde, it isn't like we are dropping Westwood for some clone of Buffon or a 26 year old Shay Given. 

And do not agree with the suggestion that he is now No 1 for the Sweden game 6 weeks away either, if he plays well Vs Poland so be it, he will be there, but what if he does something silly and is at fault for a goal ? ? Then we have the choice of a nervous keeper going into a huge game Vs Sweden, or a No 2 who now knows he does not have the full confidence of the management team, even though he has not done a lot wrong in his appearances for us so far. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 21>
  Share Topic