You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Australia and all them weird places

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 6:13am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

If anything, one of the issues I would have with Oz is that it is too similar to Ireland in ways so lads who are homesick must be very used to their ways.

Australia is a lovely country I must say, but If I was going to live away from Ireland again it would be to a totally new culture and I dont think Australia is different enough from Ireland. 

spot on. i've a load of mates all over the world at the min, canada, the usa, aus, spain, germany etc etc and without being biased the 13 of us here in Shanghai are definetely havign a far better time than the rest of them, a lot of that to do with how different it is!
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 6:54am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

If anything, one of the issues I would have with Oz is that it is too similar to Ireland in ways so lads who are homesick must be very used to their ways.

Australia is a lovely country I must say, but If I was going to live away from Ireland again it would be to a totally new culture and I dont think Australia is different enough from Ireland. 

spot on. i've a load of mates all over the world at the min, canada, the usa, aus, spain, germany etc etc and without being biased the 13 of us here in Shanghai are definetely havign a far better time than the rest of them, a lot of that to do with how different it is!

How did you rate Argentina the last year when you were there Baldie ????

Also I do see your point on Oz , the big thing for me is that you are a long way from well, anywhere really I have meet a good few over the years who got disenchanted with life in Oz after 5 or 6 years not sure why maybe missed home . A bit like London after two years you start to become negative about the place then it drains the soul out of you . I always said if you are going to move to a different country then you have to go the whole Hog and be a True Blue Aussie just like your mate next door .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 7:00am
Argentina was great and was as cheap as chips. 

Actually that is a draw back about Australia at the moment how expensive it is 7 euro for a pint in many places and sometims more,  because of the exchange rate and that is across the board from Perth to Sydney to Hobart to Melbourne and not in poncy bars either. 

I loved Argentina for a holiday, again I woudl not live in it but Buenos Aires is an incredible city, amazing food,  amazing wine,  women, culture, and a fascinating history. 

Best  steak I ever had in my life was in Argentina. 

In relation to Australia, the most liveable place I have been in so far has been Melbourne, in my view it kicks Sydneys ass but thats a personal view.  The locals say Sydney is for the day time and Melbourne is for the night time and the amount of sport in this city is unreal.  Heading to the Australian Open tomorrow which should be good 29 Dollars for the day which is about 25 euro.  Great deal. 

deisedevil View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deisedevil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 7:11am

Argentina was great and was as cheap as chips. 

Actually that is a draw back about Australia at the moment how expensive it is 7 euro for a pint in many places and sometims more,  because of the exchange rate and that is across the board from Perth to Sydney to Hobart to Melbourne and not in poncy bars either. 

I loved Argentina for a holiday, again I woudl not live in it but Buenos Aires is an incredible city, amazing food,  amazing wine,  women, culture, and a fascinating history. 

Best  steak I ever had in my life was in Argentina. 

In relation to Australia, the most liveable place I have been in so far has been Melbourne, in my view it kicks Sydneys ass but thats a personal view.  The locals say Sydney is for the day time and Melbourne is for the night time and the amount of sport in this city is unreal.  Heading to the Australian Open tomorrow which should be good 29 Dollars for the day which is about 25 euro.  Great deal. 

€25 for a days entertainment aint bad,
did you have to ajust your €15 an hour mantra for your trip to AuzWink
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 7:12am
Yeah that is nearly the minimum wage here so could not have having that :) 
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 12:46pm
Anybody folllowing the Adam Goodes story? The old racism is never far under the surface with a lot of white Australians and the last couple of months have proved it. 

Adam Goodes of the Sydney Swans is one of the best players to ever play Aussie Rules and an outspoken campaigner on issues affecting Indigenous Australians. A great player and a great guy who makes no apology for being proud of his identity.

A couple of years ago he was called "an ape" during a match by a 13 year old female Collingwood fan and immediately pointed her out in the crowd after hearing the comment. Despite saying he did not blame her personally for the comment due to her youth, but rather the overall culture in which she grew up, he was roundly criticised in the Aussie media for his reaction.

A couple of months ago, the AFL had their annual "Indigenous Round", in which the Swans played Carlton. Goodes kicked a goal and then celebrated with a kind of Indigenous war dance gesture. Since that he has been roundly booed at most grounds any time he touches the ball by opposition supporters. This booing is clearly as a direct result of Goodes' celebration. And yet a large amount of white Australians still deny there is any racist element to the booing. You'd actually laugh at the lameness and stupidity of the denials of racism coming from everywhere in white Australia, including the likes of Shane Warne, if they weren't so, well, racist. 

It's actually mental to see such obvious racism so widely defended in a so called civilised country.

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 12:50pm
Really can't get my head around the Adam Goodes situation at all - As a country, it seems Australia are still struggling to come to terms with what they were, are etc. 
I would hesitate to call anybody outright racists but the treatment of Goodes is astonishing. 
ShayGivensBum View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

The lighter coloured grass is painted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShayGivensBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 12:53pm
They are sooooooo racist its sick. They make no secret of it either. Ive deleted two people I worked with over there off facebook due to their racist comments - disgusting in this day and age!!!
Sligo Hornet View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Runner Up, Branson lookalike 2003

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sligo Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by ShayGivensBum ShayGivensBum wrote:

They are sooooooo racist its sick. They make no secret of it either. Ive deleted two people I worked with over there off facebook due to their racist comments - disgusting in this day and age!!!

You are right to blacklist them
Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 1:04pm
Racism is fashionable again. White people say 'Its the new black'.

Edited by Trap junior - 30 Jul 2015 at 1:04pm
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Really can't get my head around the Adam Goodes situation at all - As a country, it seems Australia are still struggling to come to terms with what they were, are etc. 
I would hesitate to call anybody outright racists but the treatment of Goodes is astonishing. 
The attitude of many white Australians towards Indigeneous people is basically "Know your place. We'll tolerate you if you shut up, smile and don't say anything that might make us uncomfortable, but if you do or say anything that might remind us in any way of the reality of not just the history of white Australia's racism and oppression, but its present, you're going to suffer."

That is the mindset which has led to this situation.

Edited by sid waddell - 30 Jul 2015 at 1:04pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Racism is fashionable again. White people say 'Its the new black'.
David Hanly actually once said this on Morning Ireland about Clinton Morrison. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 2:12pm

What comments were they making?

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 2:19pm

I hope you're not painting every Australian with the same light brush
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 2:22pm
Tweet from a former Brisbane Roar goalkeeper:

The offending tweet, which has since been deleted.
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Some Aussies are great craic bit harsh on them, its like everywhere you'll always find a group, either racist or homophobic or both. South Africans are the worst I've ever encountered for racism, Americans towards Mexicans are just as bad.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

Some Aussies are great craic bit harsh on them, its like everywhere you'll always find a group, either racist or homophobic or both. South Africans are the worst I've ever encountered for racism, Americans towards Mexicans are just as bad.
Irish towards Travellers too.
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

Irish towards Travellers too.

Hadn't through about one Sid, travellers usually don't help themselves however. Shows like 'Big fat gypsy wedding' for example.

Edited by SByrne24 - 30 Jul 2015 at 2:35pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic