You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Australia and all them weird places

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 5:41pm
These guys probably missed there mammys? Know a few fellas here in my local town who think they are big shots went to Oz and were totally out of there dept and came home after a month. Some just cant hack not being the big shots anymore. Oz is the best place i have ever being ( after Thailand) Wink.
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 6:07pm
i know some people have to leave because their bored on the dole etc but if everyones poor then f**k it as a country that boomed we still moaned as much as we did when we were poorer off.
i may decide someday to leave travel, work but ill always return someday.

i love this country
born and bred in this country and
i intend to die in this country
MrFantastico View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrFantastico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 6:10pm
what are the ladyboys like in thailand cheap or what ?
We hate princess diana, we hate elton john too, we hate orange bastards but rovers we love you.    KOH
Sheikh Yerbouti View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheikh Yerbouti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by jamo1 jamo1 wrote:

These guys probably missed there mammys? Know a few fellas here in my local town who think they are big shots went to Oz and were totally out of there dept and came home after a month. Some just cant hack not being the big shots anymore. Oz is the best place i have ever being ( after Thailand) Wink.

Know of a few lads like that myself. The familiar, small town life suited them down to the ground, and a few weeks in the big city where hardly anyone knew them scared the sh*t out of them.

I loved Oz, and might have to go back because of the way things are.
I’m technically Catholic, it’s the box you have to tick on the census form: 'Don’t believe in God, but I do still hate Rangers.' - Dara Ó Briain
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Australia is better than Ireland in every possible way.

I'd love to hear what they didnt like about the place.

It probably is if you look at all the physical tangible benefits, its definitely a country I would love to go to a few a few months, maybe even a year, but this island of ours in the North Atlantic is home and despite the weather, the corrupt politicians, the recession, our lack of confidence in ourselves as a Nation, I would rather live no where else. They probably were just homesick. I went to Chicago for 3 months, had an absolute blast, but I was delighted to come home

I went for the year and I was delighted when I came back.
Does'nt mean that you abandon ship with 48 weeks to go LOL

Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Ah Walls, show me somebody homesick after 3 weeks and I'll show you somebody who hasn't been away from their Mammy for more than a long weekendLOL

LOLLOL

Nope fair point lads, I was being a bit on the serious side. I agree even if you are homesick if ya go all that way ya should stick it for a bit longer. I know I would stay just because I didnt want to hear all the abuse from the lads back home!!
Honey Monster View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honey Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 9:18pm
Personally I left as i wanted to see the world and experience a bit of adventure instead of the constant routine back home. Then i didnt return as things got worse ten fold with the economy. I find it strange that anyone would wonder why young people are leaving the country at the moment Confused

Feel sorry for your mates Trap. Even if they were homesick, they should have stuck it out and at least travelled around the country to see the place. Find it hard anyone could be homesick while travelling along the east coast. I reckon your mates will regret this big time...
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 9:58pm
In fairness the 1st week of my travels was one of the worst weeks of my life! Home sickeness kicked in and was very overwhelmed with everything. But I knew it would settle down and now I just don't wanna go home! 8 weeks on the road and counting:)
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 4:12am
One of the things that I noticed about some Irish people in OZ - is there inability to do anything.
Make breakfast, dinner etc
Wash or iron clothes
Clean up after themselves - basic things like a plate or cup.
All because their mammy use to do everything for this.
It's a typical Irish thing I reckon.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
jamo1 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 11:11am

One of the things that I noticed about some Irish people in OZ - is there inability to do anything.
Wash or iron clothes
Buddy of mine (27 at the time) in a hostel didnt know how to make his bed EmbarrassedEmbarrassed we had to make it for him. Chap was very very embarressed!! Still sl*gging him to this day LOL. Im away to Canada on the 17th for a year, cant wait to get out of here TBH and get traveling again!!
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

Blue Man View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 11:17am
All but booked to go to Oz, will prob link up with HM, make sure he's ok and all! Little pet struggles away from home im told!!

Im leaving because Im in a job I hate with no career prospects, cant see myself ever owning a house, the weather is sh*t, the depression of everyone else depresses me and I want to see the world. Ive lived in the States for a year and have the experience of living away so Im dying to go.
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 11:24am
If I was in me early 20s I'd give it a go, big time.  Brother was affected by the mid-80s recession and is in Oz since 1989, he misses his mates and family here but Australia has pretty much saved his life and him and his Dublin wife have loved it out there, hard work rewarded, climate, weather you can pretty much depend on, big sporting nation, what's not to like about it?  Too late for me now but I'd encourage anyone to go.

This country's fooked, financially, morally and so many other ways and though I bleed green and adore our culture, language, folk/ballad music and dancing and all that, there's an awful lot to not like about 2011 Ireland.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 11:32am
Originally posted by jamo1 jamo1 wrote:

Wash or iron clothes
Buddy of mine (27 at the time) in a hostel didnt know how to make his bed EmbarrassedEmbarrassed we had to make it for him. Chap was very very embarressed!! Still sl*gging him to this day LOL. Im away to Canada on the 17th for a year, cant wait to get out of here TBH and get traveling again!!

Thats bad alright. I previously lived away from home when going to college in Ireland and then moved to the UK 6 years ago to finish my degree. When I graduated I decided to hang around and experience the world before going home to settle down as I thought I might not get the chance again. Unfortunately the ar*e fell out of the economy before I managed to get home and am now stuck abroad. At least with Ryanair I'm able to get home 4 or 5 times a year, however I'm sending my CV this evening to OZ where I'm in with a shout for a job. To all those who feel home sickness when they leave they should remember the world is a much smaller place than it was in the 1980's and people have a lot of spare cash when working abroad therefore I know/hope I'll get home to the motherland some day. What state will I find it in....who cares?...we never did before.

It's a shame TJ that your friends decided to return home. It's something they'll regret.

Edited by colemany2k - 06 Jan 2011 at 11:36am
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 6:41am
Thats a ridiculous story! cant believe they did that, everyone i know out there loves it! You need a few months to settle anywhere as well

Can't see myself doing anything but moving to Australia or back here once i'm done in ucd, no jobs goign for me in Ireland, almost everything is better here as well, I'll be back in a decade when we're in better shape!
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 7:00am

Ah Walls, show me somebody homesick after 3 weeks and I'll show you somebody who hasn't been away from their Mammy for more than a long weekendLOL

Spot on Deise met a good few of these at one time or another the beans don't taste the same as the one's you get at home etc etc .

I had 3 trips of 15 months, 5 half years ,and two and a half years and at the end of each of them I was upset to be going home . Hey if you ever lived in Burnley you could undersatnd why Wink
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 7:08am

Australia is better than Ireland in every possible way.

I'd love to hear what they didnt like about the place.

'For what suffer our patriots today....'
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
Sligo Hornet View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Runner Up, Branson lookalike 2003

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sligo Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 7:49am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Spot on Deise met a good few of these at one time or another the beans don't taste the same as the one's you get at home etc etc .

I had 3 trips of 15 months, 5 half years ,and two and a half years and at the end of each of them I was upset to be going home . Hey if you ever lived in Burnley you could undersatnd why Wink

Which prison(s) were you in.....and what were the crimes?
Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

If I was in me early 20s I'd give it a go, big time.  Brother was affected by the mid-80s recession and is in Oz since 1989, he misses his mates and family here but Australia has pretty much saved his life and him and his Dublin wife have loved it out there, hard work rewarded, climate, weather you can pretty much depend on, big sporting nation, what's not to like about it?  Too late for me now but I'd encourage anyone to go.

This country's fooked, financially, morally and so many other ways and though I bleed green and adore our culture, language, folk/ballad music and dancing and all that, there's an awful lot to not like about 2011 Ireland.

Totally agree with you FW. I'm as patriotic as anyone and passionate about the rich language and culture that so many of our own people rate as backward, useless, dead etc etc and are all too ready to throw it all away via their misguided and ill informed perceptions of "sophistication".

But Australia is a fantastic country and they seem to run it properly over there. It was the best year of my life and I was broken hearted to have to come home as I would have happily stayed for a few years at least.

You need to give anything new a chance before you'll take to it and to come home after 3 weeks is pathetic. I remember seeing lads in a pub in Sydney at Christmas crying into their pints thru homesickness when the craic was all around them. Some people just arent grown up enough to handle or appreciate the opportunities presented to them.

However, the future of this fair country of ours has been squandered away in a cesspool of corruption, mismanagement, greed and immorality and the futures of its younger generations lie elsewhere so Thank God they have places like Australia to go to if they're lucky enough to get that chance and sensible enough to take it.
I used to be a schizophrenic.......and so was I
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 6:06am
If anything, one of the issues I would have with Oz is that it is too similar to Ireland in ways so lads who are homesick must be very used to their ways.

Australia is a lovely country I must say, but If I was going to live away from Ireland again it would be to a totally new culture and I dont think Australia is different enough from Ireland. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic