You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

things that annoy the fook out of you

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 823824825826827 984>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 9:22am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

yeah they should have banned alcoholics Confused
I think you’ve missed the point. This is a regressive strategy aimed at the poorest people in society, and people who rely on alcohol will still drink or worse. 
It’s been implemented in other countries and rarely had a positive effect. 
I’m delighted it doesn’t affect you 
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 9:25am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

MUP - coming in January. Going to be €2 for a can of anything half decent.

Getting rid of the so called "pocket money" priced drinks will have the biggest effect on the poor unfortunately. The people who by the Tesco own brand vodka, gin, beer etc on a daily/regular basis would have a serious addiction problem already IMO. Increasing the price of what they are still 100% going to buy will just end up meaning less money in the house for food, children's clothing etc. 
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 9:33am

It already is
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 10:21am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

yeah they should have banned alcoholics Confused
I think you’ve missed the point. This is a regressive strategy aimed at the poorest people in society, and people who rely on alcohol will still drink or worse. 
It’s been implemented in other countries and rarely had a positive effect. 
I’m delighted it doesn’t affect you 

That’s your opinion.  I disagree.  No need to make it personal about whether it affects me or not.  You can be in favour of things that negatively impact on you personally.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 10:34am
Would this make any change to the big drinks like Heineken, Guinness etc? I don't think it will. Vodka and wine look like they will go up.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 10:38am
Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

Would this make any change to the big drinks like Heineken, Guinness etc? I don't think it will. Vodka and wine look like they will go up.

Not necessarily from my reading of it. Same goes for the Whiskey's like Jameson etc.. 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 10:42am
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Getting rid of the so called "pocket money" priced drinks will have the biggest effect on the poor unfortunately. The people who by the Tesco own brand vodka, gin, beer etc on a daily/regular basis would have a serious addiction problem already IMO. Increasing the price of what they are still 100% going to buy will just end up meaning less money in the house for food, children's clothing etc. 
As funny as it might sound will be a big blow for college students also. 13 euro for a bottle of nikita (tesco vodka), or the four euro tesco wine used to be the go to for many.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 10:54am
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

It will be from €1.70 for a can for the average alcohol content of a beer such as 4.8.  Anything stronger than that such as the craft beers is usually 2 euro a can anyway.  

So the days of a slab of 24 cans for 24 beans will be gone. Closer to 40 now. 
Or 20 bottles of Carlsberg for €12 as it was last week with your clubcard, I remember buying cans of Carlsberg in 1986 at 89p a can.....I wonder will we see the return of the famous Booze Buses to Newry. 

Edited by Cabra Hoop - 06 May 2021 at 10:57am
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 11:11am

It will be from €1.70 for a can for the average alcohol content of a beer such as 4.8.  Anything stronger than that such as the craft beers is usually 2 euro a can anyway.  

Or 20 bottles of Carlsberg for €12 as it was last week with your clubcard, I remember buying cans of Carlsberg in 1986 at 89p a can.....I wonder will we see the return of the famous Booze Buses to Newry. 

So it was cheaper last week than it was in 1986.  There can’t be many other products that fall into that category.  
AKA pedantic kunt
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 11:35am

So it was cheaper last week than it was in 1986.  There can’t be many other products that fall into that category.  
Most electronics, a lot of toys/games, top brand aftershaves were all more expensive in the 80s,  
Should we put the price of a 21inch tv back to £300? Or what’s your point. 
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 11:58am
This is aimed at teenagers and young college goers etc who wouldn’t be flush with cash. The studies in other countries such as Canada shows it works🤷‍♂️
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 12:04pm
24 cans of Heineken going from €25 to over €40. Absolutely pointless.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 12:07pm
MUP brings together two negatives in society namely nanny statism and vested interests. If alcohol is inexpensive, its for the companies themselves to decide what is profitable, not for the state to add on inflation, which will hit the poorest people, and won't influence alcoholism.

Nothing makes me cringe more that Official Ireland's attitudes to alcohol consumption, which always seems incredibly wide of the mark, or when it is on points comes up against paternalism and vested interests.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Most electronics, a lot of toys/games, top brand aftershaves were all more expensive in the 80s,  
Should we put the price of a 21inch tv back to £300? Or what’s your point. 
Air travel is massively cheaper now than it was in 1986. I don’t know the point is in comparing prices to the 80’s though.

As You Were
Three in a row
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

MUP brings together two negatives in society namely nanny statism and vested interests. If alcohol is inexpensive, its for the companies themselves to decide what is profitable, not for the state to add on inflation, which will hit the poorest people, and won't influence alcoholism.

Nothing makes me cringe more that Official Ireland's attitudes to alcohol consumption, which always seems incredibly wide of the mark, or when it is on points comes up against paternalism and vested interests.
The first thing the government do when the US president vists the country is to put a pint of Guinness in his hand.

As You Were
Three in a row
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

This is aimed at teenagers and young college goers etc who wouldn’t be flush with cash. The studies in other countries such as Canada shows it works🤷‍♂️

To the best of my knowledge, Canada has minimum litre pricing and has a very holistic approach to the alcohol industry in terms of who can sell etc.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

The first thing the government do when the US president vists the country is to put a pint of Guinness in his hand.[/QUOTE]

But successive Governments have also determined that closing pubs and nightclubs earlier and earlier reduces the issues caused by alcohol consumption. Their solutions seem to be around restricting alcohol sales at certain times, and increasing the price to the consumer, rather than looking at drinking culture.
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

24 cans of Heineken going from €25 to over €40. Absolutely pointless.

€1 a can is usually a special on half a dozen times a year. 8 pack of Guinness is normally about €14 so that won't be effected. But no more specials unfortunately. Boxes of 20 bottles will see a big rise I presume.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 823824825826827 984>
  Share Topic