You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

things that annoy the fook out of you

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 824825826827828 987>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

This is aimed at teenagers and young college goers etc who wouldn’t be flush with cash. The studies in other countries such as Canada shows it works🤷‍♂️

To the best of my knowledge, Canada has minimum litre pricing and has a very holistic approach to the alcohol industry in terms of who can sell etc.
They are very strict in British Columbia, i know a guy that opened a bar over there and he said it was so much hassle with licensing laws that have to be renewed every year he closed it after two years. No alcohol in supermarkets only in bottle shops or pubs.
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 12:31pm

This is aimed at teenagers and young college goers etc who wouldn’t be flush with cash. The studies in other countries such as Canada shows it works🤷‍♂️

To the best of my knowledge, Canada has minimum litre pricing and has a very holistic approach to the alcohol industry in terms of who can sell etc.
Yeah Canada is very restrictive, BC anyway. Couldn't buy beer in supermarkets. Off licence beer was fairly hefty
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 12:35pm
the resources would likely be better spent educating people and youngsters in particular that the aim of drinking alcohol isnt to get as hammered as you can, as quick as you can  and stick 10 euro on red bull 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

yeah they should have banned alcoholics Confused

40 euro for 24 cans is about right when compared to other drinks such as Orange Juice or minerals etc.  

People have got used to ridiculously low priced deals on drink.  

So ridiculously low it's the 2nd highest in the EU. Also our consumption has  steadily fallen since the turn of the century. Pandering to another lobby group just. This will push the price of the dearer cans up as well as they won't want them to be the same price as the cheapest cans
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

24 cans of Heineken going from €25 to over €40. Absolutely pointless.

€1 a can is usually a special on half a dozen times a year. 8 pack of Guinness is normally about €14 so that won't be effected. But no more specials unfortunately. Boxes of 20 bottles will see a big rise I presume.
They will put up the price though as Tesco Value lager and the likes will be a similar price!
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 12:56pm
And it’s not a tax either so just larger profits for the struggling tesco & the likes 
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

€1 a can is usually a special on half a dozen times a year. 8 pack of Guinness is normally about €14 so that won't be effected. But no more specials unfortunately. Boxes of 20 bottles will see a big rise I presume.
They will put up the price though as Tesco Value lager and the likes will be a similar price!
The 75c cans will go to €1.58. So looks like Sir Galahads days are numbered. 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 1:04pm

So ridiculously low it's the 2nd highest in the EU. Also our consumption has  steadily fallen since the turn of the century. Pandering to another lobby group just. This will push the price of the dearer cans up as well as they won't want them to be the same price as the cheapest cans

And we have a long standing history of it, when it comes to alcohol. Its worth reading the reportage from 2005 when the suggestion for cafe-bar licences were put out. The idea behind them was to change the culture (similar to NewryRep's point about education). But the resistance was unbelievable, and the idea was cast out.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by jamo1 jamo1 wrote:

They are very strict in British Columbia, i know a guy that opened a bar over there and he said it was so much hassle with licensing laws that have to be renewed every year he closed it after two years. No alcohol in supermarkets only in bottle shops or pubs.
I don’t know about the pub trade but off licenses and wholesalers have to renew their license every year. I’d guess that pubs have to. Seems pretty standard IMO.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

MUP - coming in January. Going to be €2 for a can of anything half decent.

Getting rid of the so called "pocket money" priced drinks will have the biggest effect on the poor unfortunately. The people who by the Tesco own brand vodka, gin, beer etc on a daily/regular basis would have a serious addiction problem already IMO. Increasing the price of what they are still 100% going to buy will just end up meaning less money in the house for food, children's clothing etc. 
As funny as it might sound will be a big blow for college students also. 13 euro for a bottle of nikita (tesco vodka), or the four euro tesco wine used to be the go to for many.

You've just answered the reason why it's been introduced LOL

They don't want students or younger drinkers turning into the next generation of alcos. From reading the odd article they are going off how MUP worked in Scotland which stopped younger drinking. Whether it work here or not time will tell 
It would damage this forums' reputation
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 1:48pm
If the cost of alcohol was too high when I was a student, I would have taken more drugs.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 2:05pm

If the cost of alcohol was too high when I was a student, I would have taken more drugs.

Pushing young people to cannabis for example which has (according to reports recently) massive implications with mental health issues, far worse in the short term than alcohol use. 

Cannabis is legal and strength controlled in Canada, people using Canada as an example forget they’ve a far bigger holistic approach to Alcohol & drug use (misuse). We simply don’t and expect to get the same results by launching €1 onto the price of a can of cider.  

sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 2:12pm

Hopefully it kills off the dirt cheap stuff and the main brands just get charged at the minimum.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 2:13pm

Good point Franko
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 3:31pm

Hopefully it kills off the dirt cheap stuff and the main brands just get charged at the minimum.
Can't see it I'm afraid! Glad to be wrong
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by ripbomb ripbomb wrote:

The Longford wedding today organised by the lovely people. Garda got an court order last night to remove the huge marquee set up. Workers from Longford county council failed to take it down today after going in under protection from the guards. As far as I know the party is going ahead all day with basically the Garda providing security for them. Makes my blood boil
9 Gardai by me came down to break up road bowling. They have a de facto exemption from the rules. This isn't a shock to anyone any more.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 7:15pm

Went back to college in 2014 and there were a lot of students who did just that, as it was cheaper to split a bag of coke or mdma than it was to buy drinks on a night out.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

Originally posted by ripbomb ripbomb wrote:

The Longford wedding today organised by the lovely people. Garda got an court order last night to remove the huge marquee set up. Workers from Longford county council failed to take it down today after going in under protection from the guards. As far as I know the party is going ahead all day with basically the Garda providing security for them. Makes my blood boil
9 Gardai by me came down to break up road bowling. They have a de facto exemption from the rules. This isn't a shock to anyone any more.

As I was being assaulted by a guard while two guards straight out of playschool stood watching awkwardly, the thought occurred to me "this wouldn't be happening if I was a traveller built like a brick sh*thouse".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 824825826827828 987>
  Share Topic