You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Barcelona

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrenC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

If Catalonia got independence, what would happen with their standing in the EU? 

I'd imagine the EU would be on the side of keeping Spain as one nation, and would tell them if they split they are out of the EU, and considering how well that is going for the UK, that would be one hell of a decision for them to make 

Spain would block any independent Catalonia joinging the issue unless the vast majority of remainig Spanish population were in favour of allowing them.  Would be too big an incentive for Basque region etc. to split. 

Spain were very vocal around the Scottish referendum that they would never support Scotland joining for fear of the precedent it would set. 

SuperDave makes a very good point about it not being the easiest cause to sympathise with.  "We don't like subsidising the poorer parts of Spain" isn't the most compelling call to arms.  But if the Spanish govt keeps reacting the way it has, global support will increase dramatically for the independence movement.  
Team Emmet
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 3:51pm
Can't help thinking there are parallels with 1916 here.

Nationalists, despite less that rock solid support, pushes for independence.

Ruling government brutally crushes uprising.

Support for independence rises as a result, and is eventually achieved?

Edited by newrynyuk - 04 Oct 2017 at 3:52pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 3:53pm
I'm not sure I agree that there are parallels. Maybe in the broadest sense, but I'd struggle to agree.
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 3:58pm
*wrong thread

Edited by AnCearrbhach - 04 Oct 2017 at 4:00pm
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

That's what the EU have said anyway.

I don't know where I stand on Catalan independence. What's the logical distinction between Catalan nationalists and the Lega Nord? I don't see one. Spain is a federation of different ethno-linguistic subdivisions just as much Italy is with its 20 regions. There are plenty of Sicilians who can barely understand a word that a Venetia or Ligurian says, and vice versa.

Yet I doubt most of those here in favour of Catalan separatism would be in favour of Lega Nord's secession plan. It's the same deal: a rich part of the country has had enough with spongers elsewhere and wants its cake back, thank you very much. Just because the Catalans are leftists and the Lega Nord closer to fascists doesn't change much on the constitutional issue.

I can't see a distinction between their constitutional positions and I don't really favour either.
There is a lot of valid points there and even if I am predisposed to be sympathetic to the Catalan demands for independence, those points certainly temper those sympathies.
However, I think there is one major difference between the two and that is that Catalunya has always seen itself has a country and indeed has been a country, albeit in the distant past, which is slightly different to the Lega Nord which is a union of former states who want to break away for solely economic reasons. 
Nonetheless, your points are valid. What isn't in dispute, however, is how the Spanish Government, police and even the King have reacted to this have made a very difficult mess to clean up and poured petrol on what was no more than a spark.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I don't know where I stand on Catalan independence. What's the logical distinction between Catalan nationalists and the Lega Nord? I don't see one. Spain is a federation of different ethno-linguistic subdivisions just as much Italy is with its 20 regions. There are plenty of Sicilians who can barely understand a word that a Venetia or Ligurian says, and vice versa.

Yet I doubt most of those here in favour of Catalan separatism would be in favour of Lega Nord's secession plan. It's the same deal: a rich part of the country has had enough with spongers elsewhere and wants its cake back, thank you very much. Just because the Catalans are leftists and the Lega Nord closer to fascists doesn't change much on the constitutional issue.

I can't see a distinction between their constitutional positions and I don't really favour either.
There is a lot of valid points there and even if I am predisposed to be sympathetic to the Catalan demands for independence, those points certainly temper those sympathies.
However, I think there is one major difference between the two and that is that Catalunya has always seen itself has a country and indeed has been a country, albeit in the distant past, which is slightly different to the Lega Nord which is a union of former states who want to break away for solely economic reasons. 
Nonetheless, your points are valid. What isn't in dispute, however, is how the Spanish Government, police and even the King have reacted to this have made a very difficult mess to clean up and poured petrol on what was no more than a spark.

Plus Catalonia suffered repression from a fascist dictator in the relatively recent past. The territories that the Lega Nord claim to represent have not had to contend with that.  

Edited by MC Hammered - 04 Oct 2017 at 4:17pm
El Puto Amo
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Plus Catalonia suffered repression from a fascist dictator in the relatively recent past. The territories that the Lega Nord claim to represent have not had to contend with that.  
One could actually argue the opposite, but talking to some Spanish people about, albeit the couple of lads I work with are hardly a broad demographic of the country, there is a little resentment from some on the Spanish left that Catalonia wants to f**k off and leave them with Rajoy.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 4:31pm
Every year Catalonia hands over €13bn more than it receives in federal funding. Incidentally it's a similar sum that we're due from Apple, a sum that would pay for our health system for an entire year.

Now bare in mind both Ireland and Catalonia have similar populations, it really highlights the staggering amount of money they are handing over to Madrid every year.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 4:34pm
It just returns to the fundamental point that all Spain needed to do was ignore this, and repeat the invalid mantra. There seems to be only pockets of people who buy the idea that the referendum was held on sound principles, or that it is a valid democratic vote, and en masse that has been accepted by Governments in Europe. But instead they have taken an approach which has exacerbated the crisis and made it international. Bad diplomacy.
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Every year Catalonia hands over €13bn more than it receives in federal funding. Incidentally it's a similar sum that we're due from Apple, a sum that would pay for our health system for an entire year.

Now bare in mind both Ireland and Catalonia have similar populations, it really highlights the staggering amount of money they are handing over to Madrid every year.

And throw in that average wage in Catalonia is probably 20-30% lower than Ireland.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

And throw in that average wage in Catalonia is probably 20-30% lower than Ireland.

Is it? A quick search on Google gives the piece below. Now, granted, wages outside Barcelona will be much lower, but I always found Barcelona to have the feel of a wealthy city.

Spot on Het-Field, by the way.

A recent survey shows that the average salary for a full-time worker in Barcelona is around €41,000 before tax, higher than the average for Spain as a whole which suggests that the jobs market is stronger here. Keep in mind, however, that this is an average of all salaries ranging from €15,000 at the lower end (entry level tourism, catering etc) to €85,000 at the higher end (management executives). The median may give more realistic average salary expectations at €31,200. Of course, the amount you earn will always be linked to the type of work you do. Teachers can expect to earn up to €30,000 before tax, for example, while IT technicians might earn up to €35,000. The best way to forecast what you might be paid for the type of work you do is to look at job adverts which should give an idea of salary expectations, then use an online tax calculator in order to work out your salary after tax.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 5:47pm

Spain has been a united country for about 450 odd years (and Catalunya has been united with Castille for longer) with fairly large amounts of population transfer. Italy was a collection of warring states until about 150 years ago.

I'm not denying that Catalunya sees itself as a nation more than the north of Italy does but both have gained plenty from being part of a broader union and both want out now for seemingly economic reasons. At least, that seems to have been the first motivation for a lot of Catalans, or at least a large part of it. I doubt there'd be a secession movement if they were poorer than the rest of Spain and in receipt of funds... and that answers the question for me.

None of that makes the Spanish response less than idiotic and I definitely agree with that. I have no idea what the King was at. If his speech was at the behest of Rajoy and with his instruction, that's an appalling abuse by Rajoy and the King should have stood up to him; if the speech was at the King's own urging, he has fundamentally politicised the position of King in a constitutional monarchy, which is equally appalling. His father would never have made a speech like that in a situation like this, that's for sure.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 5:55pm

I thought the Catalan language was banned with their culture persecuted for many years by the central Spanish government. Would that not be the basis for resentment and nationalistic appeal?

El Puto Amo
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 8:36pm
Funny spoke to a Spanish lad today who was born in Barcelona and he is very pro to remain , now cut a very long story short he blames the local councils taking bribes here there and everywhere . These guys are going down ( so he said ) but call independence and these guys walk free , hey or so he says .

Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 8:51pm
Supposedly Madrid are sending in the army with convoys of armoured vehicles heading to Catalunya.
TioPepe View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TioPepe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 8:59pm
I live in Espana. I have for many years now, I'm engaged to a Spanish woman and i speak fluent Spanish. 

Barcelona, will not get independence. I was at a pro Catalonian rally last night totally by accident while walking the dogs in the town square there is certainly support for the region in other areas of the country. The Spanish government ought to be ashamed of themselves, particularly how they have handled the entire event. A 42% turnout isn't anywhere good enough to declare independence either. Seeing our entire street with flags outside their houses, and apartments for entire streets with the la Rojigualda has certainly been strange to see daily.

seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by TioPepe TioPepe wrote:

I live in Espana. I have for many years now, I'm engaged to a Spanish woman and i speak fluent Spanish. 

Barcelona, will not get independence. I was at a pro Catalonian rally last night totally by accident while walking the dogs in the town square there is certainly support for the region in other areas of the country. The Spanish government ought to be ashamed of themselves, particularly how they have handled the entire event. A 42% turnout isn't anywhere good enough to declare independence either. Seeing our entire street with flags outside their houses, and apartments for entire streets with the la Rojigualda has certainly been strange to see daily.

Originally from Down or Tyrone is it?
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 7:57am
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Originally posted by TioPepe TioPepe wrote:

Originally from Down or Tyrone is it?

LOL so obvious!

Byrner must be still banned from the "whatever" section.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
  Share Topic