You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Conor Sammon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 75>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Conor Sammon
    Posted: 07 Nov 2010 at 3:32pm
Seems to be gettin on the scoresheet regularly, anyone seen enough of him to tell me how good he has become? Killie fans seem to like him judging by their mb
Sponsored Links

tribalarmy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2010 at 4:37pm
Seems to have come on leaps and bounds this season. He had a woeful scoring record up until a few weeks ago. Kille manager seems to like him. He's a long way from the Irish set up at the moment but hopefully he makes Trap think about him at least in the future.http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/kilmarnock/2010/11/05/paatelainen-conor-sammon-is-the-big-fish-at-kilmarnock-now-86908-22694029/
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2010 at 5:04pm
Has impressed me alright, scored a lovely goal last week against Hearts and played well v Celtic recently.  Doing well.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
dublin-hammer View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dublin-hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 2:57pm
 just got his second there! playing very well!
I'm not a fascist, I'm a priest. Fascists dress in black and go around telling people what to do, whereas...priests... More drink!
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 2:58pm
Just bagged his second of the night
Jokerman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jokerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 11:37am

Sammon aims to keep run going

CONOR Sammon hopes he can keep up his sensational goalscoring form with SPL side Kilmarnock.

The former UCD and Derry City man scored his 11th of the season for Killie against Dundee United, and only Rangers star Kenny Miller has scored more goals in the SPL this season.

"I am thoroughly enjoying my role in the team. I just want to keep scoring and come the end of the season see how many I've got," says Dubliner Sammon.

"I want to keep progressing, keep on learning and take my game to the next level. I think I've still got a lot of improving to do. I think I'm at the right club and I've got the right manager to help me do that."

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 7:12am
The lad's on fire

A goal against the Gers Clap
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Darren View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 7:19am
another one against the forces of darkness. Never heard of Conor before but have become a big fan in the last half hour
darragh1888 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darragh1888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 7:41am
2 goals 2day, and it says that he has 11 for the season on score centre, fair play to the lad!
"26 + 6 = 1, No Surrender"
wrestler313 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrestler313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 12:00pm
really having a great season fair play to him
Jokerman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jokerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 9:53am
Good article Thumbs%20Up

Conor Sammon: I know how lucky I am to have a career as a professional footballer

Dec 5 2010 Scott Mcdermott, Sunday Mail

CONOR SAMMON used to count people's money as a bank teller in Dublin.

Now goals are the only thing the Kilmarnock striker is tallying up.

The Irishman has been a revelation in Scotland's top-flight this term with Mixu Paatelainen's side - who have been this season's shock troops.

After an indifferent two years at Rugby Park under Jim Jefferies and Jimmy Calderwood, Sammon is flourishing under the big Finn and has already hit the back of the net 14 times.

His blistering form has prompted links to bigger clubs and a possible Republic of Ireland call-up for the 24-year-old hitman.

But Sammon's grounding at part-time outfit UCD (University College Dublin) in his homeland will ensure his feet are never too far from the ground.

As a promising youngster in Dublin he split his time between football and a Bank of Ireland branch where he would work five days a week.

And the Killie strike star is adamant that year-long experience behind a desk has helped mould him into the player he is today - because he'll never take his current job for granted.

Sammon told MailSport: "It was always football, football, football for me back home. It was all I ever did as a kid and when I went to UCD it was part of a sports scholarship - I went there straight from school.

"There were studies involved but it just wasn't for me. I was so keen on being a professional footballer it was all I ever thought about.

"UCD was an enjoyable time for me. They were a part-time team so we'd train two nights a week then have a game at the weekend.

"So I was working full-time in a bank during the week. It was a proper nine-to-five job as a teller at a Bank of Ireland branch in Dublin.

"I look at myself now and realise how lucky I am that I can just concentrate on football every day.

"Working in the bank was a great experience - I was there for a year.

"When I see boys in Scotland now who have had a professional contract since the age of 16 I think I have a real advantage over them.

"I've seen what it's like on the other side, doing a normal job and having less time to train and practice.

"Even when I worked in the bank I was confident I could be a professional player. At UCD there were always stories about clubs watching me.

"I was focused on achieving my goal and thankfully I've done it. Now, it's about progressing further and trying to be the best player I can possibly be.

"Every day I come into training with Kilmarnock I take nothing for granted.

"I compare myself to a young Scottish lad at 16 who has never done anything but played football.

"They haven't experienced another job and - you see it with some of the youth players - they think 'I'll just go on from here and be a top pro'. But it doesn't always work out like that.

"I'm grateful for the experiences I've had in the past. They've helped me become the player I am today."

Derry City took a 20 grand punt on Sammon and his talents were quickly recognised across the Irish Sea in Scotland. Hamilton Accies were interested but Killie secured his signature two years ago.

But after failing to hit the heights after first arriving in the SPL it looked like he would only ever be a bitpart player in Ayrshire, before the arrival of Paatelainen in the summer.

After hitting a hat-trick in his first start against Airdrie United in the Co-op Cup, the transformation in Sammon's game has been nothing short of remarkable.

He credits his gaffer with part of his development - but is adamant he's always been capable of producing the red-hot SPL form he's currently in.

Sammon said: "Mixu has given me a lot of advice and pointers. I was given my chance against Airdrie early in the season. I was keen to impress that night and managed to score a hat-trick.

"I've taken confidence from that and Mixu has shown great faith in me by picking me from the start every week.

"Obviously he was an international striker himself, he played at a high level in England and was a quality frontman here in Scotland too.

"I'm keen to learn and there's not many better - or with more experience - who I could learn from.

"When I came to Kilmarnock initially I only managed to score seven goals in my first two seasons. It was a frustrating time for me because I wasn't always involved in the side.

"I was on and off the bench and at times I even sat in the stand watching on. We had a lot of strikers such as Kevin Kyle, David Fernandez, Mark Burchill and Allan Russell.

"I always felt capable of doing more. I tried to channel my frustration in the right way as deep down I knew I could do what I'm doing just now - score goals regularly in the SPL.

"I feel I can continue to improve so I have to keep taking advice on board."

Contrary to reports suggesting the striker is out of contract at the end of the current campaign, MailSport can reveal Sammon has a one-year option which will be activated when he has made a certain amount of appearances.

The Irishman is close to reaching that mark now and he insists he's in no rush to head for the Rugby Park exit door - because he feels like he'll score in every game he plays in.

He said: "My confidence is so high I'm going into every game feeling I can score. I know I'll get chances and I'm confident that I can take them.

"I have an option in my contract for another year if I play a certain amount of games and I'm very close to that already. I'm happy at Killie, we have a great spirit, quality players and a good manager.

"This club is a great springboard for me to keep progressing."

tribalarmy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 12:26pm
On his way to S****horpe.
Ireland4ever View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ireland4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 5:34pm
I dunno how true this is but someone told me his nickname at UCD was
''The sammon of college''  

Funny enough if true...
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 5:37pm
This is true I4ever, very clever nickname!
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 7:20am
Irish man doing well in scotland................be with Celtic next year.
Chips don't bounce
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 7:54am
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

Irish man doing well in scotland................be with Celtic next year.

I read somewhere he is bing linked with S****horpe.
The U View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 2:56pm
Great article a few posts up...doesn't forget his roots Clap

Yeah was called Sammon of College
The U View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 9:46am
ANOTHER goal today, against dundee utd 41 mins into it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 75>
  Share Topic