You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Duffy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9394959697 157>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

That's a great record in fairness.

McAuley has the same amount of goals as George Best.
Thing is, McAuley was an IL player until he got a move to Lincoln City (4th tier), aged 24.

But he was such a good professional that he worked his way up via Leicester and Ipswich to the PL with WBA. And while he was always going to be an old-style, back foot CB, as his career progressed he proved rather better with the ball at his feet than you might have expected. Who knows how good he'd have been had he got a move to England while a teenager?

Whereas Duffy learned his trade as a youth at Everton, later playing eg for Blackburn at an age when McAuley was at Crusaders, meaning you'd have expected him to be the more accomplished, all-round footballer by now.

But at 29 next birthday and playing in the SPL, it's hard to see him changing his style now. 
Sponsored Links

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 3:55pm

I'd fear for Duffy in this system. I like him but he isn't comfortable enough on the ball to play out from the back. Hopefully he can adapt. 

It will be interesting to see the development of Collins, Masterson and O'Shea to see if they will be able to make the step up over the next couple of years. 
El Puto Amo
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 4:02pm
Kenny's system will have to be f**king amazing to warrant leaving out our best players.

And I'm afraid I didn't see that last night.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Kenny's system will have to be f**king amazing to warrant leaving out our best players.

And I'm afraid I didn't see that last night.

Kenny couldn't even revolutionize Irish football in 90 minutes. The man is clearly an impostor. 
El Puto Amo
exgrad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exgrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 5:55pm
Always wondered why Potter didn't seem to trust Duffy at Brighton as one of his centre backs.  Last night answered that question unfortunately.  Hopefully he can adapt as he is too important to us to leave out.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 5:37pm
Its been a terrible year for Duffy, he's had a tough family situation, he's not played football for Brighton, his fitness yesterday was poor (as with most)

Egan will play vs Slovakia but I'm not sure Duffy will be the best option to partner him. All depends how he gets on at Celtic really but if we play a high line, duffy looks really slow. 

If Clark starts some games and does well he might be a better option. Kevin Long did ok at the end of the season. I wouldnt test oshea in that game.

If we stand any chance against Slovakia, every player needs to be on top of their game 
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Its been a terrible year for Duffy, he's had a tough family situation, he's not played football for Brighton, his fitness yesterday was poor (as with most)

Egan will play vs Slovakia but I'm not sure Duffy will be the best option to partner him. All depends how he gets on at Celtic really but if we play a high line, duffy looks really slow. 

If Clark starts some games and does well he might be a better option. Kevin Long did ok at the end of the season. I wouldnt test oshea in that game.

If we stand any chance against Slovakia, every player needs to be on top of their game 

He's our best (only!) Goal threat. He'll be playing in Slovakia barring injury 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 6:27pm
I think we will be stuck with Duffy for the Slovakia game but longer term his place in the team is absolutely in question. I don't doubt his commitment for a second but he's 100% a defender and 0% a footballer so he's simply not going to fit into our system as time goes on.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 6:44pm
Delusional stuff thinking Duffy won't start.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 6:58pm
I like Duffy, and best of luck to him, but tbf he’s always been overrated/hugely overrated by a lot of Irish fans. 
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Fitz Fitz wrote:

I like Duffy, and best of luck to him, but tbf he’s always been overrated/hugely overrated by a lot of Irish fans. 

In the land of the blind the man with one eye is king.
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Originally posted by Fitz Fitz wrote:

In the land of the blind the man with one eye is king.

True enough I suppose. 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 11:59am
Playing in Scotland didn't seem to harm Glen Kamara on Sunday. He was probably the man of the match for me

grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 4:47pm
Debut goal for Duffy today
The only way is up
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

and Man of the Match
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

and Man of the Match

He'll probably win a lot of those this season given the standard he's now playing at. I don't think that strolling through 5-0 wins against league 2 standard teams week in week out is of much benefit to him, but it's an easy paycheck I suppose.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

and Man of the Match

He'll probably win a lot of those this season given the standard he's now playing at. I don't think that strolling through 5-0 wins against league 2 standard teams week in week out is of much benefit to him, but it's an easy paycheck I suppose.

Doesn't seen to be affecting Glen Kamara too much playing the SPL, wasn't he being compared with Thiago during the game against Ireland?

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

and Man of the Match

Got to be better than being on the Brighton bench surely?
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9394959697 157>
  Share Topic