You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Duffy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8283848586 157>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 11:52pm
Some Celtic fan floated the idea on a fans' forum about signing Duffy but I doubt there's any substance beyond that. West Brom and West Ham are the real contenders I think. McCarthy has four or five Premiership clubs interested but if the finances permitted I've no doubt he'd love to play for the Celts. More credibility there, maybe.
Sponsored Links

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 12:01am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by Stimpy Stimpy wrote:

Looks like a move to West Brom. Talks underway 

The article I read played it down a bit. Said there's been no bid and that he is merely one of several defenders he are interested in.

We all rate Shane pretty highly, and I'm sure he will get a move sooner rather than later, but I don't think he has as many teams after him as people seemed to think.

West Brom will probably be the worst team in the division next season and he is just an option for them, not someone they have their hearts set on. I think that's a bit of a wake up call.
Bang on Duffy is decent but the reality is if O’Shea Collins Masterson one of the good young CBs kick on in the next year or two Duffy won’t be starting for Ireland for obvious reasons. Even if they don’t Ciaran Clark if back playing for Newcastle could be picked. Duffy should be on the hit list for any bottom half team that doesn’t want a manager playing pretentious possession based styles like Potter. West Ham and Palace for example must be nothing short of braindead if they aren’t throwing the kitchen sink at him would improve both immeasurably. Also West Brom fans suggesting Duffy wouldn’t start for them. Clearly gaining promotion has gone to their heads if they think Duffy isn’t a better CB than what they have combined. 
That’s his level though a basic mid table PL team at a push 
Garngad View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garngad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 9:32am
Duffy has held talks with Lennon, story coming from Daily Mail Journo Stephen MacGowan (known for his links to Lawwell) the move would probably suit Brighton too, rather than selling him to a rival in the relegation fight next season.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 9:40am
That would be some coup from a Celtic perspective - he'd be a big upgrade on the centre backs they currently have. Not sure how great it would be from an Ireland perspective but would be good to see him getting regular football again. Still hoping he ends up at WBA though.
Ecumenical Matter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecumenical Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 9:44am
Duffy would be a good cheap buy for a lower half EPL club.  He’s a decent defender and a goal threat from set pieces.   

You can see the attraction of Scotland.  He’d be well received and would expect first team football, but what might be good for him might not help us. Outside the old firm, the depth of opposition in Scotland is pretty thin, which doesn’t give him much practice of playing against quality forwards, other than in europe.  

Either way though he needs a move.  You have to be playing.  Careers are short. 
Garngad View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garngad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 9:55am
if he does come to Celtic he'll be playing at very least group stage europa games, be under massive pressure in the league, be up against physical centre forwards have 3 domestic cups to play for in one of the biggest seasons in our history. 
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 10:05am
Originally posted by Garngad Garngad wrote:

if he does come to Celtic he'll be playing at very least group stage europa games, be under massive pressure in the league, be up against physical centre forwards have 3 domestic cups to play for in one of the biggest seasons in our history. 

Massive pressure in the SPL? Expectations I presume rather then actual opposition.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 10:26am
Does he really suit Celtic's style? He's a far better defender than what they currently have, but the reality is that Celtic dominate possession in 90+% of the games they play in the SPL, so it's arguably more important that they have defenders who can carry the ball forward/pick out passes than it is to have defenders who are great in "backs to the wall" situations.
We're decent enough..
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 10:29am
Duffy needs to leave Brighton and I would hope he goes to another EPL club for regular football purely from an ireland perspective.

He needs to be playing against some of the best players in Europe and I think going to Celtic won't provide that level of opposition.

Of course he'd do very well at Celtic and win stuff there, but he's a quality defender and won't need to push himself to his limits there.

I'd go as far as saying its a disappointing move if it happens.

If we have Egan, Clark, oshea, Kevin Long etc all playing in the premier league then they should be ahead of him.
Gabrieléire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabrieléire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 1:10pm
Could Celtic afford to pay his wages? Met him a few times and he told us he was on 35kpw at Brighton and that he had spoken to Rodgers when he was leaving Blackburn but wages was the issue. Although f*ck knows how true that was from him LOL
“I managed to stay alive for 63 and a half years, baby”
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by Gabrieléire Gabrieléire wrote:

Could Celtic afford to pay his wages? Met him a few times and he told us he was on 35kpw at Brighton and that he had spoken to Rodgers when he was leaving Blackburn but wages was the issue. Although f*ck knows how true that was from him LOL
What I heard is  he had a deal  agreed with Rodgers and went home on the beer and talked about it and Rodgers pulled the plug. I can't imagine him being suited to Rodgers at all though. 
manchesterbhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manchesterbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 2:10pm
loan fee of £1m and 35k per week wages being mentioned 

a european campaign beyond christmas would keep him in shape for internationals esp if champions league
cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 2:18pm
Daily Mail piece is wrong, not the first time that's been saidLOL. I believe the agent met PL over the weekend and a deal put in place. Supposedly a medical for Tues past, but Duffy gone a bit cold on move as thinks it may be hard to get back into Premier league. 3 other Premier league clubs interested also.

I'd imagine agent can see a permanent deal and new contract if 4 clubs want him.

Be nice if he signs for celtic, lure of 10iar most be huge for him. 

Edited by cardwizzard - 13 Aug 2020 at 2:49pm
Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by Garngad Garngad wrote:

All right Tony how's things boy? 
greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 2:42pm
surely this move would be a no brainer for shane, celtic and us. 
Shane would get regular football, European experience which he wouldn't get if he stayed in the bottom half of the EPL and trophies.
Celtic would get a solid centre half who I feel would stroll it up in Scotland.
And we'd get him playing regularly, winning trophies and full of confidence
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 3:13pm
I see your line of thinking here greenlad but in the EPL he will need to be 100% week in week out, he'll be facing the best of the best. 

At Celtic he'll be facing L1 opposition week in week out. My personal opinion would be that you lose a bit of sharpness and concentration.

The odd European game would help but unlikely the same 

E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 3:18pm
Celtic would be a terrible move for him. Really awful.

The opposition he will be against on a weekly basis will be absolutely piss poor. Massive drop in standard when he is surely capable of getting a game at a couple of bottom half premier league sides.
greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 3:38pm
Yea suppose your right there.
He'd be better off going to a bottom half team, losing games every week rather playing in a winning team with European games and have medals in his bag. 
Makes total sense, can't see why I never considered that..... 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8283848586 157>
  Share Topic