You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Duffy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 124125126127128 157>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 5:05pm
He absolutely cannot start against Serbia. If Kenny starts him and we get beaten he will get hammered for it and deservedly so.

Egan and Clark would be the clear pick at the moment.
Sponsored Links

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 5:14pm
Unfortunately, Duffy is one of a couple of players (in my eyes anyway) that, should they start in Serbia, I'll really begin to worry about Kenny.

I've no problem giving Stephen Kenny time, but I do have an issue with him making choices that are just straight up tactically wrong given the system he wants to play.

If he hasn't spotted what does and doesn't work from the players in the last 8 games then... Confused
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 5:18pm
The thing is, all managers have a "blind spot", and it manifests itself in a player that come what may will start. He was captain, and that will count for something, and it may well be seen as something which transcends performance. There are options, and options who are playing better right now. However, I not 100% sure that Duffy's form will put him out of the reckoning.

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 5:24pm
Maybe I'm wrong but I get the impression that Stephen Kenny came in with the assumption that certain players were playing beneath themselves or capable of more. He's mentioned three or four players who fall into this bracket and from the last 8 games I've not seen anything to convince me otherwise.

I agree with the theory of a manager and blind spot for players. Whatever about carrying one player in the game against Serbia, the way Kenny has been selecting there is the potential to have 3 players who really shouldn't be in that team, purely from a tactical point of view. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Maybe I'm wrong but I get the impression that Stephen Kenny came in with the assumption that certain players were playing beneath themselves or capable of more. He's mentioned three or four players who fall into this bracket and from the last 8 games I've not seen anything to convince me otherwise.

I agree with the theory of a manager and blind spot for players. Whatever about carrying one player in the game against Serbia, the way Kenny has been selecting there is the potential to have 3 players who really shouldn't be in that team, purely from a tactical point of view. 

Honestly, I'd actually go slightly further, and say that there could be five or six players who might make the team, under the guise of "tried and trusted" (not by Kenny BTW), and depending on how other people are playing at the time, it will be more damaging to him if we lose, with those players. I agree with a number of people that we (a) have to be realistic about the realities of team selection and (b) that wholesale change for youth with "potential" is not sensible. However, there are positions up for grabs, either by usual players being out of the club sides, or out of form.
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 5:45pm
It really depression from an irish player perspective at the moment  and seems to be getting worse every week.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 5:57pm
Realistically making 6 changes isn't going to happen. Our Achilles heel is midfield though.

If I was to harbour a guess, as things stand, Kenny's first choice midfield would be James McCarthy as the sitter with Hourihane and Hendrick ahead of him. I would have none of these in midfield. I think unfortunately this is where Kenny may come unstuck unless he makes some brave decisions.

I remember Kenny talking about James McCarthy as this defensive midfielder who would take the ball off the back for and instigate attacks. Kenny also waxed lyrical about his passing ability. I've never seen James McCarty do any of this and his passing is definitely not something I would put down as one of the strengths.

Jeff Hendrick has lots of energy and will run and run, unfortunately he will also run and run away from the ball.

Hourihane strikes me as somebody who will only work if he is played as the advanced midfielder surrounded by midfielders with a.) Lots of energy b.) Will supply him the ball (i.e. will always look to be on the ball themselves)

James McCarthy and Jeff Hendrick are two players who do not want to be on the ball, therefore creating a situation where an immobile Hourihane struggles. We end up with a midfield that's completely rudderless and has no link between defence and midfield and midfield and attack. 

Kenny proclaims to want to play more possession based football but 2 of his 3 first choice midfielders seem to go out of their way not to be on the ball.

I do think there is hope when it comes to Hourihane but only if he is surrounded by 2 midfielders that will compliment him.

Now the idea that we play yet another counterproductive midfield and then add a completely out of form Duffy into centre defence.... It doesn't bear thinking about...

Frabhoy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 7:34pm

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Gosh, I think Celtic fans have a right to be aggrieved somewhat. Duffy has been brought in on a premium salary for Scottish league standards. Hes playing against some poor forward players and been shocking to the point of costing them games. 

Today he didn't make his usual calamity of errors and celtic fans should be grateful? Just because he wasn't terrible? 

But that's not the issue. The issue is he's getting roasted regardless of how he performs. It's fairly transparent stuff from Celtic fans. They're p!ssed off and scapegoating the low picking fruit. 

Duffy has by and large been sh!te for Celtic, but he's one of many issues at the club.

As mentioned, they should be light year ahead of Rangers. Neil Lennon? Give me a break. Penny pinching and a lack of ambition has denied them the 10 in a row not Duffy.

I am a Celtic fan and have been a huge fan of Duffy for the national team but honestly his time on loan has been a disaster. A big issue has been his attitude though. His general fitness has been apalling since he got up to Glasgow. It hasnt improved and he was breathing very heavy in the first half today. Even though i agree, his performance today was fine. But the bridges have been burnt with the fans. 

I think he chucked it after the home defeat to Sparta Prague. The instagram of him using the finger emoji riled up fans immensly. The abuse rn is centred around Lennon more so than Duffy. Lennon has riled up fans with his interviews and press conferences that he could pass wind and Celtic fans would be all over it on social media. 

Some of the abuse is totally out of order. But alot of the frustation of the supporters has been terribly managed by the higher ups of the club. Lennon should have been sacked and i imagine duffy would have left in January in a pre covid environment. 

Hopefully Duffy can get a move to the championship and get some form back. 

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

A lot of celtic fans really are pathetic with their attitude towards Duffy. I watched the game today(he was solid)and they were calling for him to be taken off and even one or two tried to blame him for the goal, when it was nothing at all to do with him. I know he hasnt been good overall but they go way above board with regards their criticism of him at times. 

I don't know why Irish players bother TBH. They've had the same poxy attitude about any Irish player that's played for them in recent memory, whether it's Stokes, Murphy or O'Dea.

Did they?

They seemed to like Johnny Hayes and i never heard much bad said about Stokes or O'Dea
Frabhoy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

A lot of celtic fans really are pathetic with their attitude towards Duffy. I watched the game today(he was solid)and they were calling for him to be taken off and even one or two tried to blame him for the goal, when it was nothing at all to do with him. I know he hasnt been good overall but they go way above board with regards their criticism of him at times. 

I don't know why Irish players bother TBH. They've had the same poxy attitude about any Irish player that's played for them in recent memory, whether it's Stokes, Murphy or O'Dea.

Did they?

They seemed to like Johnny Hayes and i never heard much bad said about Stokes or O'Dea

Stokes was an absolute hero for Celtic around 2010 to 2013, when he barely got a look in at the Ireland team. Wonder why that was? O'Dea was also very much a fan favorite. His goal in the 2009 league cup final being a highlight. He just was maybe a level below what Celtic should aspire too. Nothing wrong with that?

Johnny Hayes also very well liked at Celtic. Unusual signing from Rodgers bjt had a big impact in winning 8 and 9. 
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by Frabhoy Frabhoy wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Gosh, I think Celtic fans have a right to be aggrieved somewhat. Duffy has been brought in on a premium salary for Scottish league standards. Hes playing against some poor forward players and been shocking to the point of costing them games. 

Today he didn't make his usual calamity of errors and celtic fans should be grateful? Just because he wasn't terrible? 

But that's not the issue. The issue is he's getting roasted regardless of how he performs. It's fairly transparent stuff from Celtic fans. They're p!ssed off and scapegoating the low picking fruit. 

Duffy has by and large been sh!te for Celtic, but he's one of many issues at the club.

As mentioned, they should be light year ahead of Rangers. Neil Lennon? Give me a break. Penny pinching and a lack of ambition has denied them the 10 in a row not Duffy.

I am a Celtic fan and have been a huge fan of Duffy for the national team but honestly his time on loan has been a disaster. A big issue has been his attitude though. His general fitness has been apalling since he got up to Glasgow. It hasnt improved and he was breathing very heavy in the first half today. Even though i agree, his performance today was fine. But the bridges have been burnt with the fans. 

I think he chucked it after the home defeat to Sparta Prague. The instagram of him using the finger emoji riled up fans immensly. The abuse rn is centred around Lennon more so than Duffy. Lennon has riled up fans with his interviews and press conferences that he could pass wind and Celtic fans would be all over it on social media. 

Some of the abuse is totally out of order. But alot of the frustation of the supporters has been terribly managed by the higher ups of the club. Lennon should have been sacked and i imagine duffy would have left in January in a pre covid environment. 

Hopefully Duffy can get a move to the championship and get some form back. 

I watched the game today and it’s very true what you say about Duffy....his fitness is shocking.he barely broke out into a jog today,he just played center/right side of the defense,rarely actually marked a player and won a few headers.the game was terrible quality wise and he was bent over,hands on knees blowing out of his arse a couple of times.there’s no way he can start for us purely because he’s not in an condition to.

hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
wexfordman1 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wexfordman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 6:11pm
Video leaked of Duffy texting an 'only fans' model not too sure if real or fake from what people are saying is real not much in it for me
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 6:16pm
just had a look there. Looks as though she messaged him first. No big deal, bloke has an aul barley looking at a pair of baps online but he really doesn’t have too much going on between the ears. Fans will take further aim at him. Eye off the ball at the bhoys and firmly on tits online.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 6:19pm
https://twitter.com/kez_67/status/1363509645214629890

People can make up their own minds.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 6:19pm
Shocking stuff. She's rough as hell.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 6:21pm
If he has a missus he’s a moron. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 6:30pm
Ah, it's nothing compared to some of his previous stuff. But if he's going onto only fans for a wank there must surely be some better quality on there than her.

If you're going to do something wrong, at least do it right.

Edited by You Tell Me - 21 Feb 2021 at 6:30pm
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 6:39pm
He not even in the squad tonight
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 124125126127128 157>
  Share Topic