You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Duffy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121122123124125 157>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by GaretFarellysNutSack GaretFarellysNutSack wrote:

So how does a massive club like Celtic not figure out that he wouldn't suit their style, I mean it's hardly rocket science if armchair pundits like me can figure it out ffs

I didn’t think he suited them but did I think he’d be as bad as he has been? Most certainly not he isn’t that bad fair is fair. 

Not to say he hasn’t been exposed overall.
Sponsored Links

GaretFarellysNutSack View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 4:19pm
Yeah it's a pity, he puts everything into it when play for Ireland, I hope he finds a club that suits him sooner or later. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 4:24pm
He does I have nothing against him. Reality is he’s out of form and I wouldn’t even hold them against him too much as football didn’t start in October he was in okay form the previous 4 years prior to it. 😂

My main reason for wanting him replaced is the style of play he’s clearly not suited to it simple and the fact he’s out of form you can’t justify playing him.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 4:25pm

So how does a massive club like Celtic not figure out that he wouldn't suit their style, I mean it's hardly rocket science if armchair pundits like me can figure it out ffs

Celtic knew what they were getting and that is an old school type of defender. Celtic fans were delighted with signing him.

But results went south and Duffy (who has made some mistakes) took the blame and ultimately he's been the scapegoat. 

And now he's a bit of a joke figure.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 4:36pm
Injuring his own teammate/CB partner (the ball playing CB) while scoring in his 2nd appearance wasn't a great start

Completely unsettled the back 3 or 4 as Julien missed a couple of months with a lower back injury courtesy of Shanes knee lol

Edited by tonyjaa - 30 Jan 2021 at 4:38pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 4:43pm

Complacency. Simple as that. The 10 in a Row was a given.

The system was not hugely important, as it was assumed (with good reason) that Duffy was of sufficiently high quality that he would make light work of a lot of Scottish teams, after his years in the PL and Championship, along with his historically good performances for Ireland.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 4:45pm
A scapegoat is someone who is blamed for the mistakes of others. Duffy hasn't been a scapegoat, he has been criticised for his own mistakes, let's face it he has been utter crap since he has gone there.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 4:59pm
Rafael Scheidt had a better time of it 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 5:01pm
The level of his demise is frightening 
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 5:28pm
St mirren have 4 irish lads playing for them that are nowhere near the irish squad but they matched celtic today, this is the level Duffy is playing.

Duffy for the second goal especially was Sunday league. Not winning an aerial battle is shocking as that's his main strength.

I hope he turns this around but as things stand he shouldn't be near the squad come March 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 5:32pm
Just saw the goals from the Celtic game there - Duffy really was just hopeless for the winning goal, it was just a long punt into the box, he was running away from it instead of attacking it, let the attacker inside him, was brushed off ridiculously easily and was five yards away by the time the shot was taken.

It has to be more than just an issue with the style of play at Celtic, that kind of ball should be easy pickings for him, two years ago he just attacks that and heads it away.

It really is one of the most staggering drop offs in form I have ever seen from an Irish player, he's not old by any means, just looks terrified whenever the ball comes near him now, no confidence in himself clearly.
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 6:27pm
belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Just saw the goals from the Celtic game there - Duffy really was just hopeless for the winning goal, it was just a long punt into the box, he was running away from it instead of attacking it, let the attacker inside him, was brushed off ridiculously easily and was five yards away by the time the shot was taken.

It has to be more than just an issue with the style of play at Celtic, that kind of ball should be easy pickings for him, two years ago he just attacks that and heads it away.

It really is one of the most staggering drop offs in form I have ever seen from an Irish player, he's not old by any means, just looks terrified whenever the ball comes near him now, no confidence in himself clearly.

Yea agreed, the likes of today's kistake is nothing to do with style of play or Celtic's set up, its just terrible defending. His confidence is shot and he is second guessing everything he does
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Originally posted by tonyjaa tonyjaa wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Hard to believe what has happened to him in the last 18 months.

Hard to believe he made it as a pro footballer

Neve give up on your dreams folks , u might bluff and fluke it in the end

This is very simple Duffy was successful in a Chris Hughton team where they played deep and it made him and Duffy look top notch. Same for Ireland. 

Under Potter and Kenny they try to play with the ball and pass it. He’s been exposed he can’t play that style. 
Celtic this has been showcased most wildly as Celtic dominate against most teams by default. They play high up. 

He’s been exposed and basically in that scenario that’s what he is League 1 or League 2 player. 

Did I think he’d be as bad as he has been? No I didn’t I won’t lie. He also has had a rough time privately by all accounts.

Not to say he wouldn’t be an asset in a certain type of team. I think he’d be fine playing for Palace or Burnley if he went there for example. 

Reality is if Kenny wants to lay down any sort of foundation for the future then Duffy needs to be on the bench simple as. Egan Clark O’Shea,Collins I’d even play Coleman CB before I’d play Duffy. 

I wouldn’t kick him out the squad as he’s been an asset to us deserves a squad place for the moment. Football didn’t start in October. 

I agree with all of this. 

If we'd a match next week i wouldn't be starting him. His confidence is gone completely, but i'd still have him in the squad. 

To respond to a later question, maybe Celtic thought they'd get away with it despite the fact that they have a lot of the ball and play high up the pitch as he was dropping down a considerable level from where he was 
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 6:56pm
He needs to leave Celtic 

Edited by aviva8 - 30 Jan 2021 at 6:57pm
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

He needs to leave Celtic 

Yeah. It's best for Celtic at this stage rather than him.

Not really sure where he's gonna go from here considering the lower tiers of English football is basically punt the ball forwards 60 yards and he can't handle it at a Scottish level.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 7:09pm
Shamrock Rovers on loan would be a good call for him, European football and a chance to regain his confidence. Not sure if the money would add up but a short term loan deal wouldn't hurt.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
DR.HUGO View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DR.HUGO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 7:34pm
I said it before I will say it again it’s all about belief in himself and being confident....right now he’s at rock bottom he needs to leave Celtic ASAP and a manager who can pull him out of the mire.
Mick McMCarthy would do it he’s brilliant at man management although as others on here have said Chris Hughton would be great if forest were interested.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121122123124125 157>
  Share Topic