You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Duffy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 157>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jokerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shane Duffy
    Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 2:32pm

Moyes hints at Shane Duffy loan move

3 November 2010  Written by Ronan

After previously deciding not to send 18 year old Irish defender Shane Duffy out on loan, Everton manager David Moyes has indicated a change of heart, in order for the youngster to get more first team experience and develop as a player.

Two weeks ago, Moyes had turned down a loan move from nPower League Two side Northampton Town for the player, but is hoping a team from a higher division will come in for the player. “I’d like to put Shane out on loan,” Moyes told the Liverpool Echo. Duffy made his return to the Everton squad two weeks ago following his freak injury during training with the Republic of Ireland senior side in May. “We’ve been keeping an eye on him at first  and keeping him indoors. He’s very good in the air though, and could have come on against Crouch. If we find the right club he could go on loan.”

Duffy is a former Northern Ireland youth international, playing 3 games for the under-21s and one match with the Northern Ireland B squad. However, when he converted to the Republic of Ireland in February, he faced strong criticism from the IFA and the Northern Irish manager Nigel Worthington. “Shane has represented Northern Ireland at every age group right up until seniors,” said Worthington. “He went to Italy with the squad last year and was the only one to miss out on a cap. Sadly we received a letter from Everton on behalf of Shane Duffy stating that he no longer wants to represent Northern Ireland; he wants to represent the Republic.

“From my point of view it is disappointing because Shane is going to be a very, very, very good player and he is going to be a big loss to us. As I put him in the squad word came back that he doesn’t want to represent Northern Ireland. He has clearly stated that he has made his decision with his family that he wants to represent the Republic of Ireland.”

Duffy’s conversion came in part because of the intervention of former Ireland assistant manager Liam Brady. “Liam Brady phoned me a few weeks ago and spoke to me about my international future,” Duffy said in February after his switch, “We had a chat. I thought about it and spoke to a few people before making my decision. It’s crazy to think that someone like Liam Brady would phone me to speak to me and obviously it means a lot to me. I can’t wait to get involved now because it is a dream to play for the Republic of Ireland.”

“Everyone in my family is Irish and so am I. We are just living in Northern Ireland. I have always wanted to play for the Republic. I grew up supporting Ireland and so did everybody around me.”

If not for his injury in May, Duffy may have already represented the Irish senior team, but just last month he played for the Republic of Ireland under-19s in their Euro 2011 Qualifying Campaign.

Edited by Jokerman - 27 Nov 2010 at 7:30am
Sponsored Links

BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 2:41pm
Liverpool might be interested in him
ericdogg View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericdogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2010 at 8:13am
will be a great player in the future
International Caps - 7

International Goals - 1
sheaoccfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sheaoccfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2010 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by ericdogg ericdogg wrote:

will be a great player in the future

He showen he has the potential to be .

City till i die !!!!!!!!!
Predator View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Predator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 6:58am
When you see Greg Cunningham at Leicester and Conor Clifford at Plymouth, and with Everton having a full squad again you'd think that Duffy has to go on loan. Hopefully he'll get a Championship club.
Jokerman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jokerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 9:14am

IRELAND hopeful Shane Duffy could be in line for a loan move to Championship side Preston as Everton boss David Moyes wants the defender to get first team games -- and that could see Derry lad Duffy form a partnership with Ireland star Sean St Ledger.

Duffy has played a number of reserve team games for Everton this season following his recovery from a serious injury which he sustained in a training game with the Irish squad last May.

And there was a boost for Duffy when he made the bench for Everton's Premier League game with Tottenham two weeks ago, though he has failed to make the match-day squad for the two games since then.

LOAN

Moyes wants Duffy -- who played twice for Everton in the Europa League last season -- to get game time and that could see him move on loan to Preston.

Their manager, Darren Ferguson, is a long-time admirer of Duffy and he is due to watch the 18-year-old in action for the Toffees reserves against Arsenal tonight before making his mind up on a loan offer.

Duffy is keen to get his club career moving following his recovery from that horrific training ground injury with Ireland last season which almost cost the youngster his life after he damaged his liver in a collision with goalkeeper Adrian Walsh.

Last month Duffy made progress on the international front when he played for the Ireland U19s in their European Championship qualifiers, his first time to officially play for the Republic since his decision to 'defect' from Northern Ireland.

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 9:21am
Great stuff. Be great for him to be getting a game in the championshiop, especially if it's beside St. Ledger
Belfast Green View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Belfast Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 9:35am
The reserve game was earlier, not tonight.

Finished 3-1 to Arsenal

Predator View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Predator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 11:47am
I think it was actually 4-1 to Arsenal.

In addition to the revelation of a potential loan move to Preston, some of you might be interested to hear that Alan Stubbs included Duffy, along with José Baxter and Ross Barkley, as one to look out for next season at Everton. He noted that Duffy is beginning to return to form after the operation. Stubbs was answering questions from fans on Everton's official webchat. 

Edited by Predator - 08 Nov 2010 at 11:53am
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 11:54am
cheers , hopefully he goes to PNE and learns from the sledge
wrestler313 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrestler313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 12:40pm
would be a good move for him
Jokerman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jokerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 7:30am

Shane Duffy’s Barnsley loan move falls through

26 November 2010  Written by Ronan

Everton and Republic of Ireland youth defender Shane Duffy’s proposed emergency loan move to Barnsley has collapsed after his parent club could not agree terms with Barnsley.

Mark Robins had hoped to sign the 18 year old centre back for Championship side Barnsley, and Duffy himself had expected the move to go through before tomorrow’s games. Robins had watched Duffy in action for Everton reserves against Liverpool reserves, and was impressed enough to make an offer for the player.

Duffy’s father, Brian Duffy spoke to the Derry Journal about the breakdown of the loan move. “After David Moyes rang Shane on Wednesday morning last to say that Mark Robins wanted to take him on a month’s loan, Shane was thrilled because at this stage of his football career he has got to play more first team games at a higher level than he is with Everton Reserves,” said Duffy senior. “Unfortunately this morning [yesterday morning] Shane got word that Everton and Barnsley couldn’t agree terms and the deal had fallen through. David Moyes has turned down approaches for him from Northampton twice already, but we’ve been told that Leeds are still keen on signing him on loan, as are Southampton.”

With the loan window now closed, Duffy will have to wait until January for a loan to get first team experience. “It’s probably not that bad when we think of what he has gone through this year,”said Brian Duffy, optimistic that his son will find a team when the window reopens. “It just wasn’t meant to be but we’re confident the right club will come in for him sooner rather than later.”

Courtesy of GreenScene

Edited by Jokerman - 27 Nov 2010 at 7:30am
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2010 at 8:42am
On the bench for Everton today.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
R-Martinez View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R-Martinez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 6:12pm
Everton don't have the biggest squad. Maybe Moyes may of changed his mind and wants to keep him around.
"Lennox says he's a conqueror? No. I'm Alexander, he's no Alexander" Mike Tyson
Emerald View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emerald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2011 at 1:38pm
Duffy Joins Burnley On Loan

Everton defender Shane Duffy has joined Championship promotion hopefuls Burnley on a 28-day emergency loan deal.

Duffy, who is currently away on international duty with the Republic of Ireland Under-21s, will link up with the Clarets on his return from Portugal.

The 19-year-old centre half, who has been an unused substitute for David Moyes' side eight times this season, could make his debut against Ipswich Town at Turfmoor on April 2.

The move is Duffy's first loan move. The Irishman has made two appearances for the Everton senior side, making his debut against AEK Athens in 2009.

Edited by Emerald - 24 Mar 2011 at 1:40pm
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2011 at 1:48pm
Good loan move for him. Burnley just outside the playoffs.
The only way is up
MacMathuna View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MacMathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 4:28pm
duffy tweet ''loan move should be sorted in the morning looking forward to it''
Sinne Fianna Fáil atá fé gheall ag Éirinn.
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 12:47pm
He is gone on loan to S****horpe .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 157>
  Share Topic