You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Duffy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 128129130131132 157>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

It matters not a jot if he is a professional or not, for anybody that looses a loved one that they were very close to it can have a huge effect on you mentally,  and for anybody to use that against any person is the lowest of the low they would not be supporters more just low life scum, only SD will know the torment he is enduring since his fathers passing, Shane could well be his own downfall by not reaching out. 

Good Post. I'd agree with that. 
Sponsored Links

aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

It matters not a jot if he is a professional or not, for anybody that looses a loved one that they were very close to it can have a huge effect on you mentally,  and for anybody to use that against any person is the lowest of the low they would not be supporters more just low life scum, only SD will know the torment he is enduring since his fathers passing, Shane could well be his own downfall by not reaching out. 

Excellent post
tapfit2004 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapfit2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 3:01am
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Excellent post
I hope he does as well as he can for the rest of the season and either stays with celtic under a new manager and does well or gets a move to a club where he gets back to his best form. It's not his fault for the terrible season but he has been the brunt of a lot of criticism. 

He joined a celtic team that has been in decline for a while. Winning the league last year papered over a lot of cracks and they have come home to roost this season. Shane has definitely not been the sole reason that we are in the position we are. 

Edited by tapfit2004 - 12 Mar 2021 at 3:03am
Let Christy Take It.
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 9:21am
As I said mick could bring him to Cardiff 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 5:43pm
 Kinda pleased in a way that Duffy is in the squad as would be a massive blow for him.

But is there really any chance he could play? Maybe only the Qatar game... right?
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Kinda pleased in a way that Duffy is in the squad as would be a massive blow for him.

But is there really any chance he could play? Maybe only the Qatar game... right?

Sounds like he'll start in Serbia going by Kenny's presser today 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

playing him would be professionally negligent and would loose a considerable amount of faith some people have in him as manager. 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 6:08pm

Really? He did big him up, but when asked the question on his involvement, Kenny's first response was that (paraphrasing) "nobody in the squad can be considered a guaranteed starter..." 

I wouldn't say he is nailed on by any stretch.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 6:10pm
Any link to the presser?

Was looking earlier and couldn't find it.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 6:14pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 6:23pm
Thanks Clap
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 6:34pm
He’s been in dreadful form but football didn’t start this year a 100% warrants a place in the squad coming from someone who is adamant he shouldn’t start in Belgrade.

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Really? He did big him up, but when asked the question on his involvement, Kenny's first response was that (paraphrasing) "nobody in the squad can be considered a guaranteed starter..." 

I wouldn't say he is nailed on by any stretch.

Haven't seen it and only caught the quotes. He couldn't really say anyone is guaranteed a start. Exact quote below. I don't think he'd have started had Egan been fit but think he might now. Maybe he'll go for Clark and O'Shea.

"It's fair to say that nobody is an automatic starter, no one in the squad is an automatic starter. I have no problem leaving anyone out," he said.

"What I will say that Shane Duffy had had a tough year, he knows he's had a tough year at Celtic, he's been a great player, has never let Ireland down, he has played when he was injured, he played three games in six days, left everything on the line for the team."
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 7:07pm
If Egan was fit, I assume Duffy's exclusion would be for footballing reasons rather form. I don't see how that changes with Egan not available. O'Shea and Clark still seem like the better footballing and more mobile option. 

Unless Kenny has changed tac completely, and is not focusing on his defence holding a higher line in the Serbia match. Who knows, genuinely. 

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

He’s been in dreadful form but football didn’t start this year a 100% warrants a place in the squad coming from someone who is adamant he shouldn’t start in Belgrade.

Totally agree with this but If Kenny plays Duffy in light of the current form and Duffy makes a mistake leading to a goal... and dare I say it costs the game. The backlash would not only be severe but maybe even justified.

tbmcm15 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbmcm15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 4:11pm
Based on form alone, if I were Stephen Kenny, I wouldn't start Shane Duffy in Belgrade. I say this as a supporter of Duffy's, as well as Celtic. I very much wanted to see him succeed there, but he doesn't deserve the abuse he's been getting. His father dying plus the pandemic, what a tough course of a year. Duffy has been a dedicated, reliable player for Ireland. Sometimes the game can have cruel twists.
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 10:55am
The bigger actual choices he must make, however, include whether to stick with Shane Duffy, whose move to Celtic was billed as a season-long ride on an open-topped bus but has turned out to be the career equivalent of being hit by one. The tone of Kenny’s support for the 29-year-old this past week certainly suggests to the Derryman being retained.
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 10:57am
when was the last time duffy played a game? can he even be fit?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 128129130131132 157>
  Share Topic