Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Duffy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 116117118119120 157>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 1:15pm
The problem we've had for years is that our international managers ignored players club form on a regular basis, be it staying too loyal to certain players who either didn't play enough for their clubs or were bang out of form to ignoring the players that were performing really well for their clubs.

I'm a firm believer in seeing managers playing form players and making it tough for those out of form to win their place back. What usually happens is they will either sink or swim, you don't want a squad knowing that 1-11 is picked before a ball is kicked no matter how players are performing for their clubs.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Sponsored Links

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by TheNumber6 TheNumber6 wrote:

What issues? Contracts?

NL said that some players believed they were bigger than the club and wanted out. None of them left and most stayed and played.

There was also people from within the squad leading info to outside too. 
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 1:33pm
The confidence is which “Duffy won’t start in March” is been said here is mystifying.

I agree btw no way Duffy should start on current form and he just blatantly isn’t suited to the style of play. I think he will though I’m not sure I see Kenny dropping him. 
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 1:41pm
Clark starting again for Newcastle today. It will be very close between him, O Shea and Duffy but on current form Duffy is certainly fourth choice. A lot of football to be played between now and then.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

The confidence is which “Duffy won’t start in March” is been said here is mystifying.

I agree btw no way Duffy should start on current form and he just blatantly isn’t suited to the style of play. I think he will though I’m not sure I see Kenny dropping him. 

I dont think so either but if he brings club form to Ireland then I think its probably a matter of time especially because he is not suited to Kenny's style of play. 
It would be a big statement if he did drop him. Like another poster said above, managers tend not to drop players based on current form. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 1:53pm
Nathan Collins surely ahead of Duffy too. Watched a bit of the game last night against Bournemouth he was fantastic again. 

I personally wouldn’t mind seeing him at Stoke for another year or two after this where he plays every week 

However comments such as “il eat my hat if Collins isn’t at a top half PL club by next September” on Twitter tells you what people thought of his performance.

Edited by kevin100 - 03 Jan 2021 at 1:56pm
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I dont think so either but if he brings club form to Ireland then I think its probably a matter of time especially because he is not suited to Kenny's style of play. 
It would be a big statement if he did drop him. Like another poster said above, managers tend not to drop players based on current form. 

I would cut him some slack on current form as football didn’t start in September it existed before then. It’s the fact he’s so not suited to Kennys style of play you’d almost feel sorry for Duffy at times is the nail in the coffin for me. 

There is no way he should be playing but I don’t see any other scenario unfortunately.

Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 2:06pm
amazing how quickly his stock has plummeted, Duffy was our best player 12 months ago. Now lads saying he shouldn’t be in the squad. He had a tough year with his dad passing suddenly, has never let Ireland down. 

Edited by Citizen - 03 Jan 2021 at 2:06pm
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 2:18pm
Others have but he should be in the squad of course he should be. Just starting at the moment we have better options to my mind.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

There is absolutely no substance to that. None.

They won the treble last year and topped the EL group too.

There have been issues around the dressing room that Lennon didn't deal with.

There are huge concerns regarding professionalism under Lennon. Trust me on this, I know what I'm talking about here, know people involved. FWIW there was also a big fallout earlier in the season with the squad effectively splitting between the Scottish players and the overseas issues regarding a particular issue. Although that has largely been resolved now.

There were similar problems at Hibs when Lennon was there. None of the above directly involved Duffy but it's a fairly toxic environment at Celtic these days.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 2:38pm

I don't think he will be dropped. I feel Kenny sees him as a vital part of the team, from a leadership and continuity point of view, and while that may not make him unimpeachable, it will give him a greater call for being in the team come March.

Its Duffy's club career that is probably the greater concern. Brighton haven't appeared to miss him, Celtic are not getting the best out of him, where next?
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 3:01pm
If Kenny starts Duffy in March and things go badly he will get slaughtered for it, and rightly so.

For a manager already under pressure it would be a ridiculous risk to take based on Duffy's current performance levels, especially in one of the few positions where we actually have some genuine competition for places.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

There is absolutely no substance to that. None.

They won the treble last year and topped the EL group too.

There have been issues around the dressing room that Lennon didn't deal with.

There are huge concerns regarding professionalism under Lennon. Trust me on this, I know what I'm talking about here, know people involved. FWIW there was also a big fallout earlier in the season with the squad effectively splitting between the Scottish players and the overseas issues regarding a particular issue. Although that has largely been resolved now.

There were similar problems at Hibs when Lennon was there. None of the above directly involved Duffy but it's a fairly toxic environment at Celtic these days.

You don't know what your talking about here, that's the problem. Your just moving the goal posts with your latest post.

I have just literally just spoke about issues in the dressing room and gave 2 examples of such.

Both of which have nothing to do with Duffy.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 5:10pm
Just flicking through some posts here, the jewel been YTM saying “trust me on this I know what I’m talking about here” LOL

Edited by daithi - 04 Jan 2021 at 10:29am
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 9:05am
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

amazing how quickly his stock has plummeted, Duffy was our best player 12 months ago. Now lads saying he shouldn’t be in the squad. He had a tough year with his dad passing suddenly, has never let Ireland down. 
His fathers passing was very sad indeed, but he passed away in May. How long more can it be used as a reason behind Shanes plummet in form? I mean long before that he was dropped by Brighton.

Have you stopped to think that maybe, just maybe he is on the decline as a player and that the criticism coming his way is in certain respects warranted?

He should definitely remain in the squad but calling into question his status as an automatic starter is certainly justified. 
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
hulkhogan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hulkhogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 1:58pm
Has to be dropped in upcoming games tbh
Whacha gonna do
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 1:59am
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

His fathers passing was very sad indeed, but he passed away in May. How long more can it be used as a reason behind Shanes plummet in form? I mean long before that he was dropped by Brighton.

Have you stopped to think that maybe, just maybe he is on the decline as a player and that the criticism coming his way is in certain respects warranted?

He should definitely remain in the squad but calling into question his status as an automatic starter is certainly justified. 

it could take him years, possibly he never gets over it. a death like that is shocking and it affects different people in different ways. its like part of his own life just crumbled down all in front of him, and its no surprise its affected his job
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 9:06am
Originally posted by mully_85 mully_85 wrote:

Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

it could take him years, possibly he never gets over it. a death like that is shocking and it affects different people in different ways. its like part of his own life just crumbled down all in front of him, and its no surprise its affected his job
I get that, but it doesn't explain why he went into decline before his father passing too? 

This is what I'm getting at. This question over his club form is going on a lot longer than the 9 months since his father passed away. This doubt over his form is going on since Graham Potter came in at Brighton in 2019 and he took Shane out of the team.
There's clearly an even deeper problem that's causing this decline. Is he carrying an injury of some sort but is too proud to hold his hands up and say its affecting him for example?

Edited by ShamtheRam - 05 Jan 2021 at 9:07am
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 116117118119120 157>
  Share Topic