You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Duffy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 115116117118119 157>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by TheNumber6 TheNumber6 wrote:

Should be in his prime years but playing like a headless chicken. Should’ve been sent off today. Hard to feel anything but sorry for him, clearly was an emotional decision joining Celtic instead of West Ham.

My West Ham mate indicated that maybe Moyes pulled out of the deal has he prefered Dawson. 

I see some sticking the boot in on celtic fans, no surprise there. I would advise those to check out the stats which the huddle breakdown did of the celtic defence and shane duffy in particular on youtube. 

This was a guy a lot of celtic fans probably hadnt seen alot of but was made out to be the savour for a faltering defence. 

He was clearly not the type of defender which suited celtic's play style. I have alot of sympathy for him and it was looking like he was more solid with soro in the middle of the midfiled but the manager's faith in him seems to be dwindled. 

Sponsored Links

Four-Four-Two View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Four-Four-Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 8:58pm
celtic were a rabble before duffy moved and have continued as a rabble when he was dropped , he is not the issue
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 9:06pm
To be fair I don't think Celtic were paying a £2m loan fee and £40k a week for a player to "not be the issue". He was supposed to help solve the issues. Instead, as a result of his performances since he joined, the manager didn't have the confidence in him to start the game, picked a defensive midfielder instead of him and the defensive midfielder got himself sent off.

Look we all want him back playing well, but there's nothing wrong with pointing out that he isn't at the moment.

Edited by You Tell Me - 02 Jan 2021 at 9:08pm
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 9:07pm
No one is saying he is *the* issue

He’s certainly been a very poor signing though and has gone backwards at a rate of knots this season
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

To be fair I don't think Celtic were paying a £2m loan fee and £40k a week for a player to "not be the issue". He was supposed to help solve the issues. Instead, as a result of his performances since he joined, the manager didn't have the confidence in him to start the game, picked a defensive midfielder instead of him and the defensive midfielder got himself sent off.

Look we all want him back playing well, but there's nothing wrong with pointing out that he isn't at the moment.

This is the sad truth, Duffy was brought in  to solve a problem, not become part of it.

Hes got a couple of goals for Celtic but other than that he's a complete liability. He looks in terrible shape, he's slow, his reading of the game is shambolic. Bang average players get past him easily.

I disagree that he's been good for ireland under Kenny either, unless the definition of good is 'didn't make many costly mistakes'.

I hope he gets back to his best but on current form a championship team wouldn't give him the time of day.

Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 9:35pm
Harsh. Every player goes through bad spells for a multitude of different reasons. Shane Duffy and Dunk kept Brighton in the Premiership when all the pundits were predicting otherwise. He has not become a bad player overnight and he will be back.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 9:50pm
I hope you're right. The concern I would have is that, even if he gets the defensive side of his game back in to shape, there are skills required of modern top level centre backs with ball at feet that Duffy just doesn't possess.

I have been flicking between the West Brom and Stoke games this evening because O'Shea and Collins were both playing. Both were in losing teams and neither played particularly brilliantly tonight but they are both clearly comfortable with the ball at their feet in a way that Duffy has never been.
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

This is the sad truth, Duffy was brought in  to solve a problem, not become part of it.

Hes got a couple of goals for Celtic but other than that he's a complete liability. He looks in terrible shape, he's slow, his reading of the game is shambolic. Bang average players get past him easily.

I disagree that he's been good for ireland under Kenny either, unless the definition of good is 'didn't make many costly mistakes'.

I hope he gets back to his best but on current form a championship team wouldn't give him the time of day.

Have to agree with that unfortunately he’s not been good for us recently at all it seems like he can’t do the usual basics of heading, clearing and keeping shape in back line at all now just because he’s expected to pass the ball. 
I know it would defeat the purpose of what Kenny is trying to do with the team but would it be worthwhile to let Duffy almost have the license to put it long unless he’s fully sure? All the other defenders are decent enough on the ball and passing out so shouldn’t effect things too much. Having him in the team at his best not having to worry about passing it about or Clarke or O Shea on the team? 
RoyD View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 10:33pm
He just looks completely rattled any time the ball comes near him. His confidence is shattered and he needs to move on and play ball where he doesn’t have to play football with his feet. 
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by RoyD RoyD wrote:

He just looks completely rattled any time the ball comes near him. His confidence is shattered and he needs to move on and play ball where he doesn’t have to play football with his feet. 
That won’t work for us while Kenny is in charge. There’s not even any sign of improvement like you would imagine at Celtic they would be training him to play out from the back 
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 1:08am
I know its radical but I see no point in even having him in our squad while Kenny is manager. I appreciate that would be devastating for the guy but he lacks, and never will have, the skills Kenny needs his centre halves to have 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 3:53am
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Harsh. Every player goes through bad spells for a multitude of different reasons. Shane Duffy and Dunk kept Brighton in the Premiership when all the pundits were predicting otherwise. He has not become a bad player overnight and he will be back.

It’s clear the change if style doesn’t suit him.  He needs I be playing in a team which drops deep and does it’s defending on the edge of the penalty area.   Any higher and he is in trouble. The 
AKA pedantic kunt
Frabhoy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 5:06am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

How come Millwall are blamed for Parrott's stalled career but Celtic are victims of Duffy's difficulties? Duffy was always limited in skill but good defensively in the air and as a blocker. Maybe the Celtic manager/backroom have stuffed up his game. They certainly knew what they were getting. Duffy's mistake was going there. 

But it has zero impact on his role with Ireland - which should be sitting on the bench. Stephen Kenny has problems galore in midfield and attack but defensively, apart from goalkeeper, he's in a good position with lots of choice. To select an out-of-form SPFL player who's totally alien to play-out style - even when in form - would seriously undermine Kenny's already wobbly credibility. 

Because Parrott is going to Milwall for games and to develop. Injury has played its part in stopping that for him. However, the feeling would be that Milwall dont create enough opportunities for him. I havent seen enough to judge. 

Shane Duffy's role at Celtic is much different. He is a seasoned pro in his prime footballing years. His error proneness from the Rangers game in October to now has been shocking. His confidence is shot. His fitness has also been questioned. 

It will also have an impact for Ireland, because said player has been the new managers captain on the pitch for all his last games. While our real captain has been on the bench. I agree that Duffy doesnt lend to the 'play out' style but you are going against the evidence that he more than likely will play come March. Also, the spfl dig is unnecessary given many argued duffy was a premier league player who was too good for the league. Just as ones will argue Stevens or Egan will be too good for the championship, once shef utd get relegated. 
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 7:50am
'Celthick' 

Wow 🤦‍♂️
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 11:43am
For what it's worth Neil Lennon managed teams have long been associated with fitness issues, it was picked up on by Ronny Deila after Lennon left the first time how unfit a squad he inherited and similarly at Hibs, Lennon's replacement Paul Heckingbottom was apparently shocked at how unfit a squad he inherited mid season.

So that may be contributing to Duffy appearing to be in such poor shape. Unfortunately Scottish club football seems to be a lot less professional than English and continental European football when it comes to fitness and coaching. Brendan Rogers seemed to bring in a much higher level of professionalism at Celtic that has been thrown away since he left.

Edited by You Tell Me - 03 Jan 2021 at 11:44am
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 12:12pm
There is absolutely no substance to that. None.

They won the treble last year and topped the EL group too.

There have been issues around the dressing room that Lennon didn't deal with.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 12:25pm
What issues? Contracts?
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 1:07pm
You would wonder what Kenny is making of his form. He wasn't too bad for Ireland, well he was poor in possession at times but he also made some last ditch tackles, what he is probably best at (launching himself at the ball).

But with the form of O'Shea, Egan generally solid too then I think Duffy's place is at a big risk. I think he is on a tight rope and 1 bad performance for Ireland too then it could be time to go with oshea and Egan. 
Collins too coming down the track. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 115116117118119 157>
  Share Topic