Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Duffy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 109110111112113 157>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 11:29am
I cant help but feel that much of the criticism that comes his way is due to his status as a loan player. I think fans are more prone to getting on the back of a loan player, perhaps for subconscious reasons that the player is not committed by way of a long term, permanent contract. Fans of major clubs rarely, if ever see loan deals, as they just don't need them, nor do they want them. You'll occasionally see a loan signing come to a Liverpool or a Chelsea, but more often than not, it doesn't happen.

However, fans of smaller clubs see them all the time, and there is a mentality which militates against them. At WHU, I can think of a number of loan players who have come through the doors who have immediately got the short shrift from fans, or quickly got it. Every mistake is combed through, and every error is scrutinised at an unbelievable degree.

Sponsored Links

Jock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 11:44am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I cant help but feel that much of the criticism that comes his way is due to his status as a loan player. I think fans are more prone to getting on the back of a loan player, perhaps for subconscious reasons that the player is not committed by way of a long term, permanent contract. Fans of major clubs rarely, if ever see loan deals, as they just don't need them, nor do they want them. You'll occasionally see a loan signing come to a Liverpool or a Chelsea, but more often than not, it doesn't happen.

However, fans of smaller clubs see them all the time, and there is a mentality which militates against them. At WHU, I can think of a number of loan players who have come through the doors who have immediately got the short shrift from fans, or quickly got it. Every mistake is combed through, and every error is scrutinised at an unbelievable degree.

Celtic see a lot of loan players. It is nothing to do with this. His performances have been shocking, there is no denying this. Playing for Ireland, he never really gets exposed in behind, I was shocked at how slow he actually is. Hopefully he can turn it around, but I'm not hopeful. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by Jock Jock wrote:

Celtic see a lot of loan players. It is nothing to do with this. His performances have been shocking, there is no denying this. Playing for Ireland, he never really gets exposed in behind, I was shocked at how slow he actually is. Hopefully he can turn it around, but I'm not hopeful. 

Well, more to the point, I think Duffy would have arrived with certain expectations. He has generally been a robust and strong defender since breaking into the Irish team in 2016, and has been a PL regular for a few years now, and until the turn in the year. I still feel that loan players always come, with at least, a subconscious bias against them.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Laxalt is on loan from Milan and the fans love him already.

The criticism is down to his poor form and nothing more.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Laxalt is on loan from Milan and the fans love him already.

The criticism is down to his poor form and nothing more.

Well, like I said, its down to performance, but a loan signing, performing poorly, seems to bear the brunt of fan criticism. I think that Laxalt has looked good so far, and has adapted well. Loan signings performing well, don't suffer the same criticism.
max View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

My new name is Wax

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 12:16pm
Big difference between defending from the edge of your own box and defending from the half way line which is where he would be positioned a lot of the time at Celtic as they are generally on the front foot in the SPL. He’s ok at one and not so good at the other it would seem. 
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 1:02am
really hope he doesn't start on Sunday against some of Wales' quick attackers
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 8:16am
If Egan and O'Shea are fit they should start from now on. We can't continue to carry Duffy like this. If he can reinvent himself as a footballing defender who is comfortable with a high line then great, he will earn his place again. But he has shown nothing to suggest he can play that kind of game. 

At the moment he doesn't look like a good option for either the present or the future, although realistically a lack of squad depth in the short term will see him earn some more caps. The national team is not the place for a 28 year old to be learning the basics of modern day defending. He needs to go and learn his position and if he can't do that he has no business being in our first team. That sounds harsh but it's the reality here. 

The same few posters banging on about how he'll come good and it's just a form thing etc. are getting tiresome at this stage. Yes his form is terrible and he is a better deep lying defender than he is showing at the moment. But getting that form back won't have any bearing on the other clear deficiencies in his game.

Big test of Kenny's suitability for the job coming up here. If he can't make the call it's another sign that he might not be the right man for the Ireland job.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 8:56am
Egan and Duffy are the central pair, you need to accept it and move on.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 9:12am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Egan and Duffy are the central pair, you need to accept it and move on.

Not if Duffy continues to play so hot only!

He will play the next couple of games due to the Egan injury, if his form doesn’t pick up for the spring games he should be dropped.
triggs1993 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triggs1993 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 5:44pm
Hes lacking confidence right now. Things at Celtic aren't going well and hes taking alot of flack. But he is our best centre half and I'm sure he'll come good.
Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 8:09am
Originally posted by triggs1993 triggs1993 wrote:

Hes lacking confidence right now. Things at Celtic aren't going well and hes taking alot of flack. But he is our best centre half and I'm sure he'll come good.

He is definitely not our best centre half. There’s an argument he is if we are playing a deep defensive formation that requires , blocks,headers and tackles but he even seems to have lost his ability in that sense at the moment. 
Playing a more progressive , high line passing game I’m afraid he’s lost and a total liability 
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2020 at 1:27pm
I was going to say - Egan is playing at a much higher level currently
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 9:49pm
Congratulations to Shane - our senior golden boot winner for 2020  and also the scorer of the Irish senior goal of the year.

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Congratulations to Shane - our senior golden boot winner for 2020  and also the scorer of the Irish senior goal of the year.

Goal of the year competition, Duffys v Bulgaria and 4 caught on camera at Ireland training
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Goal of the year competition, Duffys v Bulgaria and 4 caught on camera at Ireland training

Randolph must be the worst keeper in Europe, he's the only one our lads can score against.
jimjims View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimjims Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 10:07pm
Duffy should stay on. He was exposed a couple times by a piss poor midfield. He doesn't deserve to lose his place.
Four-Four-Two View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Four-Four-Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 10:21pm
made a goal saving tackle. his distribution is a big issue though
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 109110111112113 157>
  Share Topic