Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Duffy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101102103104105 157>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

I would be shocked if Kenny dropped Duffy if i am honest . 

He shouldn't be dropped just because he's had a few bad games for Celtic, provided his for picks up hes an automatic choice.

Now if we're coming into Feb/March and it still hasn't improved I'd like to think Kenny will pick players on form especially in areas that we have genuine competition in.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Which game was he great in Dots? 

Duffy was superb in Slovakia, the only game thus far in the Kenny reign that properly mattered. Why are people trying to find problems with 1 of our most consistent performers due to a bad run of form for a sh*te Celtic team?! If he plays well for Ireland, he stays in the team. Simple as

This is it.

We've scored 1 goal in the last 5 games and guess who scored it!

Scoring goals is our biggest issue at the moment. That's where the focus should be.
Are you saying Duffy's goalscoring capability should be a factor in his retention/deselection?

For if his Wiki page is correct, he's scored 4 goals in 38 caps. And for Blackburn/Brighton, it was 13 in 185 league games, so for ROI you're basically talking about 1 goal per qualifying campaign.

If I were Kenny, I think I'd have him in or out of the team purely on the basis of his defending alone. If he nicks the odd goal, then that's nice, but hardly the answer to any problems up front.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Duffy has been excellent for us absolutely no question but we can't have a situation (like under previous managers) where a players club form is ignored just because said players has done well for Ireland.

If a player is completely out of form for a long period at club level no matter who he is, he shouldn't be guaranteed his start for Ireland imo.

Exactly
The majority of posts on the threads in this section are discussing the players club form

We are allowed to say when a player is in awful form, regardless of how he's played for Ireland in the last few years

Its going to take a lot of character from Duffy to turn around his Celtic career now I think, but he can do it.

He's getting pelters on social media from Celtic fans.
One of the funnier ones was - Shane Duffy is the biggest disappointment to come from Brighton since an unharmed Margaret Thatched in 1984
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 12:51pm

He shouldn't be dropped just because he's had a few bad games for Celtic, provided his for picks up hes an automatic choice.

Now if we're coming into Feb/March and it still hasn't improved I'd like to think Kenny will pick players on form especially in areas that we have genuine competition in.
The next game is England at Wembley i think we need Duffy in the side for that as we are going to spend a lot of the time without the ball .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 12:59pm

The next game is England at Wembley i think we need Duffy in the side for that as we are going to spend a lot of the time without the ball .

Isn't that a bit of a circular argument, though?

For if your CB's can't retain or pass the ball very well, then you're bound to spend a lot of time without it.
cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Duffy has been excellent for us absolutely no question but we can't have a situation (like under previous managers) where a players club form is ignored just because said players has done well for Ireland.

If a player is completely out of form for a long period at club level no matter who he is, he shouldn't be guaranteed his start for Ireland imo.

Exactly
The majority of posts on the threads in this section are discussing the players club form

We are allowed to say when a player is in awful form, regardless of how he's played for Ireland in the last few years

Its going to take a lot of character from Duffy to turn around his Celtic career now I think, but he can do it.

One of the funnier ones was - Shane Duffy is the biggest disappointment to come from Brighton since an unharmed Margaret Thatched in 1984

Maggie LOLLOL
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 1:09pm
I agree that Duffy has been a good defender for us, I agree that he will rightly be in the next team to face england, I agree that he can turn his current form around, I agree he should not be replaced as hes still the best option

However - I dont agree he's been excellent or good under Kenny. His form has dipped sadly.

I dont agree that playing a slightly higher defensive line under Kenny suits Duffy and plays to his strengths.

Duffy has been good for us and at the moment I dont think he has been his usual good self, this can be down to what he is being asked to do on the pitch which doesn't come natural to him.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I agree that Duffy has been a good defender for us, I agree that he will rightly be in the next team to face england, I agree that he can turn his current form around, I agree he should not be replaced as hes still the best option

However - I dont agree he's been excellent or good under Kenny. His form has dipped sadly.

I dont agree that playing a slightly higher defensive line under Kenny suits Duffy and plays to his strengths.

Duffy has been good for us and at the moment I dont think he has been his usual good self, this can be down to what he is being asked to do on the pitch which doesn't come natural to him.

Bang on LF 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 2:12pm

Absolutely. Hourihane hasn't played 1 minute in Villa's last 4 games and he'll probably walk into the Irish first 11 next month.

Incidentally, even though Kenny said he'd pick on form, like most international managers, it's a load of bollocks. Everyone has their favourites, for better or worse.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 5:53pm

Exactly

LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Exactly

LOL

LOL
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 6:36pm
Another disaster moment for Duffy, clumsily gives away a pen against Lille. Bain saves the penalty but still another nightmare moment for Duffy.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Another disaster moment for Duffy, clumsily gives away a pen against Lille. Bain saves the penalty but still another nightmare moment for Duffy.

The foul was outside the box.

Edited by Double Maxim - 29 Oct 2020 at 6:45pm
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 6:44pm
I'd say your delighted?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 6:57pm

I'd say your delighted?

He’s only speaking the truth, shall we not report on players making mistakes anymore?

Only positives from here on in lads.
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 7:39pm
Anyone actually watching the match, how is Duffy playing?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

I'd say your delighted?

He’s only speaking the truth, shall we not report on players making mistakes anymore?

Only positives from here on in lads.

If Duffy had a good game would he come on and comment?

Some posters rejoice at Ireland players under performing or playing badly.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 7:57pm
Duffy may have given away a penalty but had a decent game I thought. Foul for pen was outside box so should have been a free.
He was defending on the edge of his box most of the game as opposed to the half way line which helps him, but overall he was good. Got a few important blocks and headers in
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101102103104105 157>
  Share Topic