You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Duffy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 100101102103104 157>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by Dots1982 Dots1982 wrote:

Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

I'm reading a lot of comments saying he needs to be dropped for Ireland one of his replacements been O'Shea who has played one game. As has been mentioned by others, the less you play for Ireland the better you become. 

Coleman was written off with the clamour for Doherty to play, now he has finally gotten a run of games Coleman is back in flavour. 

does his form change depending on what teams shirt he has on?

If he becomes a liability for Celtic, which is happening, then there should definitely be a discussion whether he remains an automatic starter for Ireland

its not a phenomenon unique to us, Pickford has never put a foot wrong for England, yet is a liability for his club, and the questions are being asked

Duffy plays well for ireland. Nothing else matters much until that stops happening. No point looking for problems when we have loads of problems we don’t need to look for.

😂 So true!

Edited by 50%lesssugar&salt - 25 Oct 2020 at 11:05pm
Sponsored Links

King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by Dots1982 Dots1982 wrote:

Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

I'm reading a lot of comments saying he needs to be dropped for Ireland one of his replacements been O'Shea who has played one game. As has been mentioned by others, the less you play for Ireland the better you become. 

Coleman was written off with the clamour for Doherty to play, now he has finally gotten a run of games Coleman is back in flavour. 

does his form change depending on what teams shirt he has on?

If he becomes a liability for Celtic, which is happening, then there should definitely be a discussion whether he remains an automatic starter for Ireland

its not a phenomenon unique to us, Pickford has never put a foot wrong for England, yet is a liability for his club, and the questions are being asked

Duffy plays well for ireland. Nothing else matters much until that stops happening. No point looking for problems when we have loads of problems we don’t need to look for.
Have to agree with you there.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 11:26pm
He's 8 games into his Celtic career. He's on a bit of a bad run of form. This may surprise sowm of you on here, but that happens with every player from time to time. I've no doubt he'll come through soon enough. (Something similar is happening with Harry Maguire at United, for example).

Celtic are awful right now and their problems go deeper than Duffy. Something isn't right there
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 10:32am
Just looked back at the newspaper player ratings from the past 2 games and Duffy is about middle of the pack for both games. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 11:08am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Just looked back at the newspaper player ratings from the past 2 games and Duffy is about middle of the pack for both games. 
He has made a couple of really basic individual errors, particularly the one yesterday, but I think he is being held to a high account because he is the highest paid player at the club and the media reaction to his signing. There was a lot of condescending attitudes towards Celtic by many in the media, saying he was too good for us, etc. When said player then looks awful and is making dreadful errors, especially ones like yesterday that could be misconstrued as the player himself exhibiting that arrogance, then he is always going to be the whipping boy.

I am giving all the players the benefit of the doubt as the whole thing is so disjointed, and unfit,  that they are either all entirely to blame as a collective or the management team is and I lean towards the latter.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 11:14am
I was actually referring to the last 2 Ireland games PM where people said he was man of the match - Didn't quite remember him being that good myself hence I had a look. Haven't seen the Celtic games so can't comment on those. 
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 11:28am

I was actually referring to the last 2 Ireland games PM where people said he was man of the match - Didn't quite remember him being that good myself hence I had a look. Haven't seen the Celtic games so can't comment on those. 

Who said he was MOTM for any game? He was our best player over the 3 games in my opinion.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 11:35am

Ah right, apologies so! The above still stands! He has been terrible, but so has everyone else for Celtic!
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 11:37am
I kinda don't think he was that great,

in the Finland game for example Pukki had a one on one with Randolph which for me was down to Duffy's poor positioning. Thankfully Randolph was top of his game. (0.17 seconds on video)

For the Jersey goal for Finland Taylor was played though by Pukki and the attempt to read it and track the runner was shocking by Duffy and his attempt to get back was extremely poor (1.33 into the video)

Taylor gets pretty much a free shot on target and Duffy's defending was hopeless (2.38 in the video)

He also missed a glorious opportunity to score and missed a sitter of a header, but I'd give him a pass on that as hes not a forward player. (3.25 in the video)

So for me he was poor 

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 11:44am

I said he was MOTM in his first 2 Celtic games, not Ireland games.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I kinda don't think he was that great,

in the Finland game for example Pukki had a one on one with Randolph which for me was down to Duffy's poor positioning. Thankfully Randolph was top of his game. (0.17 seconds on video)

For the Jersey goal for Finland Taylor was played though by Pukki and the attempt to read it and track the runner was shocking by Duffy and his attempt to get back was extremely poor (1.33 into the video)

Taylor gets pretty much a free shot on target and Duffy's defending was hopeless (2.38 in the video)

He also missed a glorious opportunity to score and missed a sitter of a header, but I'd give him a pass on that as hes not a forward player. (3.25 in the video)

So for me he was poor 

The Finland game in the summer where everyone was rusty is what you are analyzing. We’ve played 3 matches since.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 11:56am
Which game was he great in Dots? 
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 12:09pm

Duffy was superb in Slovakia, the only game thus far in the Kenny reign that properly mattered. Why are people trying to find problems with 1 of our most consistent performers due to a bad run of form for a sh*te Celtic team?! If he plays well for Ireland, he stays in the team. Simple as
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 12:23pm

Ask someone who said he was great in any recent match.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Duffy was superb in Slovakia, the only game thus far in the Kenny reign that properly mattered. Why are people trying to find problems with 1 of our most consistent performers due to a bad run of form for a sh*te Celtic team?! If he plays well for Ireland, he stays in the team. Simple as

This is it.

We've scored 1 goal in the last 5 games and guess who scored it!

Scoring goals is our biggest issue at the moment. That's where the focus should be.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 12:32pm
I just don’t know how any looks at Ireland’s results or performance being below par and says 1- Shane Duffy is anything close to the main problem and 2- it can be fixed by picking someone else.

It’s just nonsense.

Duffy’s place may come under threat next year but for now move on to putting a target on someone else’s back or better still get behind the players and be patient.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 12:43pm
Duffy has been excellent for us absolutely no question but we can't have a situation (like under previous managers) where a players club form is ignored just because said players has done well for Ireland.

If a player is completely out of form for a long period at club level no matter who he is, he shouldn't be guaranteed his start for Ireland imo.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 12:43pm
I would be shocked if Kenny dropped Duffy if i am honest . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 100101102103104 157>
  Share Topic