You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Duffy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 96979899100 157>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 2:08pm
Really poor today for Celtic.
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 2:30pm
Bar a few headed goals he’s been poor since he arrived 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 5:20pm
Duffy is a great defender if you play a low defensive line. He was very much suited to the way ireland played under mccarthy and O'Neil but when playing a high line and a passing game hes a fish out of water.

I feel the Egan is first choice central defender and it shouldn't take much for oshea (who seems to be getting better by the game) of Nathan Collins to take Duffys place.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Duffy is a great defender if you play a low defensive line. He was very much suited to the way ireland played under mccarthy and O'Neil but when playing a high line and a passing game hes a fish out of water.

I feel the Egan is first choice central defender and it shouldn't take much for oshea (who seems to be getting better by the game) of Nathan Collins to take Duffys place.

Football cliche No: 463 but Duffy for me is the first name on the Ireland team sheet. He's adapted a lot better than I thought to Kenny's system. I don't wan to be too harsh on Egan but he seems to get caught out a lor of the times I've watched him for both club and country. He gets turned too easily and exposed  in a way that Duffy wouldn't. Duffy would be better at that in standing off a dangerous player who can turn you inside out. Egan needs to improve on that part of his game.  
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 5:55pm
He just doesn't suit the style of football we are trying to play. Again under no pressure today he sent a 30 yard cross field pass 10 yards into the stand. Did something similar for Ireland during the first international break. That side of his game is so far off what is required that it's almost comical. Didn't cover himself in glory for the two goals either.

That said O'Shea is probably still a year or so away from taking his spot and in the short term we need him to get on the end of free kicks as we are not creating much else. Beyond that you'd expect Egan, O'Shea and Collins to be ahead of him within a couple of seasons.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Football cliche No: 463 but Duffy for me is the first name on the Ireland team sheet. He's adapted a lot better than I thought to Kenny's system. I don't wan to be too harsh on Egan but he seems to get caught out a lor of the times I've watched him for both club and country. He gets turned too easily and exposed  in a way that Duffy wouldn't. Duffy would be better at that in standing off a dangerous player who can turn you inside out. Egan needs to improve on that part of his game.  

Totally disagree with that analysis of Egan, if anything I see it as Duffy doesn't do Egan any favours. Duffy gets flat footed with the through ball and turns like a bus, he hasn't got the pace to recover when playing a high line.

When he has possession of the ball his passing is poor and it isn't natural for him to carry the ball forward. 

All in all Duffy is old school, there's not a better player with his heading ability but overall defending is good and not much better.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 6:45pm

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Totally disagree with that analysis of Egan, if anything I see it as Duffy doesn't do Egan any favours. Duffy gets flat footed with the through ball and turns like a bus, he hasn't got the pace to recover when playing a high line.

When he has possession of the ball his passing is poor and it isn't natural for him to carry the ball forward. 

All in all Duffy is old school, there's not a better player with his heading ability but overall defending is good and not much better.

Honestly, you must have never seen Egan play when it's clearly one of his weaknesses. He allows himself to get drawn out and turned but I'm sure he'll improve on that as he gets older. 

Yes, Duffy doesn't have the pace to recover if he was caught out on a high line which is why he tries to mitigate that risk by not being pulled out of defence to the extant that Egan has done. Egan has that rashness. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 8:03pm
I've seen Egan play many times actually and id agree he can be rash but he reads the game better than Duffy and is a good recovery defender.

Like I said, Duffy is good when the defence plays on the edge of the penalty area with no ambitions to get further forward than that which suited us when we played long ball under mon and mccarthy.

However under Kenny or Potter for that matter he was required to do more, whereas Egan can do more, Duffy just can't. I suspect that he should do well for Celtic as the opposition will be a low standard but in the premier league and under the new possession based tactics with ireland he's going to struggle.
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 12:46am
it was an eyeopener how Rangers did not press Duffy when he had the ball as they knew he'd just punt it back to them
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 7:34am
Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

it was an eyeopener how Rangers did not press Duffy when he had the ball as they knew he'd just punt it back to them

To be fair that is easily fixed. Pass it to your midfielders or full backs. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 9:37pm
Woeful tonight for the second Milan goal
Embarrassing 
cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 9:43pm
Mc Gregor ran in to him??? 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 9:46pm
He was all over the place before that 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 9:48pm
And again....

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 9:50pm
Shocking for the third as well. His form is terrible and he doesn't suit our system anyway. It would be no harm at all to use the next round of games to try other options alongside Egan. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 9:51pm
He’s been very sluggish this season going back to the NL game in Bulgaria
Even in the games he scored in early on for Celtic he had some very shaky moments at the back 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 9:51pm
Didn't see the other goal he was supposed to be at fault for but he was very poor for the third there. No awareness at all. 
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 9:57pm
I think it hard to blame him really for first two but his form for celtic hasn't been great, which is a worry.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 96979899100 157>
  Share Topic