You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Duffy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9596979899 157>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 10:35am
Great to see Shane in the hoops and scoring was the cherry on top. Seems to have settled in and loving it so far. Max your 100% correct, it's a club he loves and understands what a special year this could be for Celtic. The rest is just noise. 
Sponsored Links

avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 10:55am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Gary Breen telling it like it is, fair play to him. Larsson was 20 years ago, it's a far poorer standard in Scotland now relative to the big European leagues.

Put your medals on the table Gaz. 
Reillers88 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reillers88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 11:13am
A fit Morelos would possibly start for a relegation level team. But a lot of what he says there is sh*te. 
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 11:30am
It's literally a league where nobody other than Celtic and Rangers have won the league since 1985, and Celtic managed to put together 9 in a row with their only opposition falling into administration, then dumped into the bottom tier and forced to rebuild. Does anybody outside of Celtic supporters think 10 in a row would be an achievement, considering those circumstances. 

A absolutely nothing achievement. And a league on the level of league 1. Duffy is off the back of two poor performances with Ireland, and has now moved to a rubbish league. Wouldnt be surprised to see his place under question sooner rather than later.

Edited by E2016 - 13 Sep 2020 at 11:31am
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 11:32am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by max max wrote:

Unpopular opinion: I think he was dead right to sign for Celtic, he clearly has connections within the club and wants to be part of a potentially historic team. When he retires, one would imagine he won't be financially stuck regardless of playing for Celtic or in the prem at this stage, would he rather look back on his career with a few medals to show for it along with a European nights or a few more relegation fights in England. 

However I understand the view of many others that it would obviously be better for him to continue playing in the premier league as it is  of a much higher standard than the SPL, and would be more beneficial for the national team. 

I agree with that. People complain that there's no romance in the game anymore and then complain when a player does something like this. Pointed to the heavens after he scored today, am sure his Da would have loved to see him play at Celtic. Would have watched games together when Duffy was a kid. 
Exactly.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 11:40am
Originally posted by avfc avfc wrote:

Gary Breen telling it like it is, fair play to him. Larsson was 20 years ago, it's a far poorer standard in Scotland now relative to the big European leagues.

I don't get that argument. If medals are so important couldn't players like Duffy just go home to Ireland or the Scandinavian league or Thailand league so they're guaranteed one or two before they retire? Actually there would probably be a minimum of three or four teams challenging for those leagues every season unless one of them gets taken over by Saudi businessmen so it would still be less of a formality than Scotland.

There's a huge asterisk beside the "10" as well considering Rangers weren't in the league for four years and spent another two rebuilding their squad for the top flight.

I'd almost go as far as to say that Stephen Kenny should've been advising him against this move. He looked sluggish enough and slow of reaction over the last two games. Playing in a farmer's league isn't going to keep him in the zone when it comes to games against teams like Slovakia, Bosnia or Wales.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 12:17pm
Celtic supporters use that argument because it is all they have. If they accept that their domestic trophies are largely meaningless, which they are given the lack of opposition, what purpose is there in continuing to support the team, or the team's continued existence even? All they have now is their history (which is more than their city rivals have to be fair).

The Celtic board have long since given up even pretending that they are trying to compete for silverware in Europe, or that there is any hope of joining some kind of Atlantic league setup, which was the big hope years ago. There is nothing left for them but to continue to win domestic trophies and pretend that it is somehow an achievement of some sort. So they continue to spout nonsense about "Paradise" and "10 in a row" like these phrases mean anything to anyone outside the Glasgow football bubble.

Breen's comments are on the money. There is genuinely only one Premier League standard striker in the whole of the Scottish game, Duffy won't be playing against him because he plays for Celtic and he'll probably be leaving soon anyway.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 2:40pm
It's every kids dream to be sitting on the bench in a relegation battle.

It's what dreams are made of.

Bottom line is - he made his decision so suck it up.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 2:44pm
Duffy in the Scottish Premiership.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 13 Sep 2020 at 2:45pm
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by avfc avfc wrote:

I don't get that argument. If medals are so important couldn't players like Duffy just go home to Ireland or the Scandinavian league or Thailand league so they're guaranteed one or two before they retire? Actually there would probably be a minimum of three or four teams challenging for those leagues every season unless one of them gets taken over by Saudi businessmen so it would still be less of a formality than Scotland.

There's a huge asterisk beside the "10" as well considering Rangers weren't in the league for four years and spent another two rebuilding their squad for the top flight.

I'd almost go as far as to say that Stephen Kenny should've been advising him against this move. He looked sluggish enough and slow of reaction over the last two games. Playing in a farmer's league isn't going to keep him in the zone when it comes to games against teams like Slovakia, Bosnia or Wales.

It would be completely out of order if Kenny advised him not to make the move. Kenny has absolutely no right to do that and it would be completely unprofessional imo. If Duffy's performances decline for Ireland because he went to Celtic then he'll be dropped and it's up to him to get back in the Irish team whether that's facilitated because of a move to a league with a better standard or something else. That's Duffy's decision to make and if he asks Kenny for advice on it, then fair enough. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 3:12pm

Aye Gary turned down Barcelona to protect his Ireland place.
Larsson7 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larsson7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 11:23am
Very Lazy From Breeny here, I'm somewhat surprised at his little Englander view point. Can anyone point me to the catalogue of  " dreadful habits" on view from Virgil as he tranisitoned to the EPL. He was pretty much perless from day one and by the end of his debut season was named Club Captain and rewarded with an improved new 6 year contract! Breen is peddeling a false narrative, most good SPL players tend to border hop with ease and quickly operate in a business as usual fashion,  the paucity of quality SPL attackers has done nothing to dull the defensive faculties of Kieron Tierney or Andy Robertsons as they tear down the flanks for Liverpool and Arsenal, with the same fervour that they did for Celtic and Dundee Utd. In addition to Tierney, Roberstson and Van Dijk in recent memory off the top of my head the following ex SPL players quickly established themselves with minimum fuss in Englands top tier. Stuart Armstrong, Temu Pukki, John Mc Ginn, Ryan Fraser, Fraser Forster, Victor Wanyama, Ki Seun Yeung, James Mc Arthur, John Fleck, Artur Boruc, Charlie Adam, this is by no means an exhaustive list and indeed many of the above were considered bang average SPL players but all have comfortably found a part for themselves in the greatest show on earth!.  From an irish perspective Duffy may well  find that SPL strikers will more readily fit in his pocket, but the smug notion from the Premier league Paddies that he has effectively retired from serious football should be dismissed as bluster. From a purely footballing perspective the Celtic move may just do Stephen Kenny a favour, Duffy for the first time in his career now plays for a team that overwhelmingly dominates posession, he will have to readjust to receiving the ball, stepping forward into midfield and starting attacks, while minding the house playing a high line as his full backs bomb on. From what we've seen thus far these are attributes Kenny needs his best defender to fine tune to fit the blue print.     
Dots1982 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dots1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 8:38pm
scored again, a header I believe
Fozzy B View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozzy B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 8:40pm
another goal for the big man this evening. celtic 2-1 up away to st mirren.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 9:01pm
Jaysus, just play the guy up front and get it over with.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Jaysus, just play the guy up front and get it over with.

Embarrassed

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 11:12pm
I've made a few quid off duffy as anytime scorer now last few games. He is a decent price normally about 5/1. Worth a fiver each game at least

Edited by t_rAndy - 16 Sep 2020 at 11:12pm
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 5:13pm
Watched some of the Celtic highlights recently and while Duffy has nabbed a couple of goals, there are moments when he looks very uncomfortable running back towards his own goal under a counter attack (which happens quite a bit when you are playing for Celtic, I suppose). Don’t want to cover old ground, but Kenny’s high line is really not a good fit for him. 

On a related not, here’s something from Jonathan Wilson in the Guardian today:

“the most common reason penalties have been given in the Premier League this season has been forwards having their legs clipped by retreating defenders finding themselves on the wrong side having been undone by a ball played behind the line.”

If we’re playing high, that lack of pace at the back could really end up costing us. Even Bayern play Alaba at CB to cover counters. 

You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9596979899 157>
  Share Topic