You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Duffy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9495969798 157>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 6:03pm
Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s the top scoring Irish player this season 
Sponsored Links

max View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

My new name is Wax

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 6:37pm
Unpopular opinion: I think he was dead right to sign for Celtic, he clearly has connections within the club and wants to be part of a potentially historic team. When he retires, one would imagine he won't be financially stuck regardless of playing for Celtic or in the prem at this stage, would he rather look back on his career with a few medals to show for it along with a European nights or a few more relegation fights in England. 

However I understand the view of many others that it would obviously be better for him to continue playing in the premier league as it is  of a much higher standard than the SPL, and would be more beneficial for the national team. 
JohnSwift View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSwift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by max max wrote:

Unpopular opinion: I think he was dead right to sign for Celtic, he clearly has connections within the club and wants to be part of a potentially historic team. When he retires, one would imagine he won't be financially stuck regardless of playing for Celtic or in the prem at this stage, would he rather look back on his career with a few medals to show for it along with a European nights or a few more relegation fights in England. 

However I understand the view of many others that it would obviously be better for him to continue playing in the premier league as it is  of a much higher standard than the SPL, and would be more beneficial for the national team. 

That’s not an opinion I would have shared, but you’ve made a compelling case. Better to look back on a career with medals and memories for the sake of a season being part of a relegation battle.

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by JohnSwift JohnSwift wrote:

That’s not an opinion I would have shared, but you’ve made a compelling case. Better to look back on a career with medals and memories for the sake of a season being part of a relegation battle.

Play at the highest level you can or drop down a few levels to win trophies .... you can argue both sides.

Benny Rodgers went the other way 

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 8:56pm
Theres more to consider here than where we want him to play. He has to be happy playing wherever he is. No point him playing in EPL if he is not happy and content. Im sure most of us (well those that actually work or have worked) have worked somewhere or worked at a particular job where we weren’t happy and dreaded going in everyday, and those of us who have, will know the effect that can have on you mentally. He wanted to sign for Celtic and he has had a great start and going by the interviews he is happy. Thats the main thing.

Edited by Sham157 - 12 Sep 2020 at 8:57pm
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Theres more to consider here than where we want him to play. He has to be happy playing wherever he is. No point him playing in EPL if he is not happy and content. Im sure most of us (well those that actually work or have worked) have worked somewhere or worked at a particular job where we weren’t happy and dreaded going in everyday, and those of us who have, will know the effect that can have on you mentally. He wanted to sign for Celtic and he has had a great start and going by the interviews he is happy. Thats the main thing.

He's probably already been on the phone to Anthony Stokes to ask him what the best pubs and nightclubs are.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

He's probably already been on the phone to Anthony Stokes to ask him what the best pubs and nightclubs are.
He probably hasn’t though. Duffy is capable of being a professional.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

Debut goal for Duffy today
and Man of the Match

He'll probably win a lot of those this season given the standard he's now playing at. I don't think that strolling through 5-0 wins against league 2 standard teams week in week out is of much benefit to him, but it's an easy paycheck I suppose.

It looked beneficial to Glen Kamara last Sunday as he played our midfielders off the park

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

and Man of the Match

He'll probably win a lot of those this season given the standard he's now playing at. I don't think that strolling through 5-0 wins against league 2 standard teams week in week out is of much benefit to him, but it's an easy paycheck I suppose.

It looked beneficial to Glen Kamara last Sunday as he played our midfielders off the park

Arter isn't a holding midfielder, (not disciplined enough to be really good there) Molomby was making his debut and Robbie Brady isn't a centre midfielder, whilst Kamara is a tidy player lets be honest here, besting the above under the circumstances isn't really saying much is it?

Edited by Green Devil - 12 Sep 2020 at 9:44pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 9:46pm
Well I’ve read a lot of great reports on Molumby here over the last couple of years and people saying he should be on the team ahead of Glen Whelan as far back as 18 months ago probably...
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 9:52pm

Well I’ve read a lot of great reports on Molumby here over the last couple of years and people saying he should be on the team ahead of Glen Whelan as far back as 18 months ago probably...

18 months ago? Highly doubt that.

He should have been blooded 9/12 months ago alright, perhaps not straight away to replace Whelan but gradually as opposed to last week.

It was his debut against Finland, very hard to expect too much but I would interested to see how he would fair after a few more caps against the likes of Kamara.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 9:56pm
Finland have qualified for the euros and an SPFL player was their best player last Sunday against Ireland in a game many of us expected us to win
That’s my point. It hasn’t done him any harm playing against Ross Co and Livingston it seems 

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 12 Sep 2020 at 9:56pm
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 9:59pm

Shaun Williams should've been the one to replace Whelan heading into the Euro 2020 qualifiers proper. He looked the part in the games he did play towards the end of O'Neill's reign and he was, and is, a mainstay in a team that regularly challenges in the higher reaches of the Championship.

There was no need to bring Whelan back at all. Williams would have more than sufficed as a short-term option.

If anything, I'd say it would've been more beneficial bringing Daryl Murphy back to make up for the complete and utter lack of physicality and presence up front.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 10:05pm

and Man of the Match

Hard to play opposition midfielders off the pitch when you aren't even dominating possession. Kamara's a decent footballer, but trying to hold him up as some poster boy for how great the SPL "really is" is bizarre.
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 10:06pm

Finland have qualified for the euros and an SPFL player was their best player last Sunday against Ireland in a game many of us expected us to win
That’s my point. It hasn’t done him any harm playing against Ross Co and Livingston it seems 

Well looks it's just ignorance for anyone to dismiss a player blindly just because of the league they play in! I mean, we know that there will always be pockets of decent players plying their trade in 1 and 2 team leagues (tongue in cheek)

But, I would by lying if I didn't say I wasn't worried about Duffy's sharpness because he's a centre half! Lets say compared to a centre midfielder at the very highest level, there's a huge gulf between trying to keep the likes of Haaland, Dolberg, Milik etc quiet for Ireland if we face the named as opposed to the level of striker he will come up against in the SPL.

There is absolutely no question that your concentration levels have to be a lot higher in the PL, than in the SPL. 

Edited by Green Devil - 13 Sep 2020 at 12:54pm

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 1:09am

I agree with that. People complain that there's no romance in the game anymore and then complain when a player does something like this. Pointed to the heavens after he scored today, am sure his Da would have loved to see him play at Celtic. Would have watched games together when Duffy was a kid. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 6:43am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

I agree with that. People complain that there's no romance in the game anymore and then complain when a player does something like this. Pointed to the heavens after he scored today, am sure his Da would have loved to see him play at Celtic. Would have watched games together when Duffy was a kid. 

Great to see that. Playing in the SPL didn't do a certain Swede any harm. 

Celtic are a huge club. Playing in Europe every season. You have to win most games albeit against weaker teams. Having to win every game is high pressure. Arguably harder than scraping 40 points together in the Prem. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 10:27am
Gary Breen telling it like it is, fair play to him. Larsson was 20 years ago, it's a far poorer standard in Scotland now relative to the big European leagues.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9495969798 157>
  Share Topic