Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Duffy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6465666768 157>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 8:56am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Richard Dunne > Shane Duffy
Far better.
That doesn't make Duffy a pub league player who just happens to be tall as some are trying to make out
Sponsored Links

BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 9:02am
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

He doesn't need to be Franco Baresi. He's this team's Richard Dunne.

He'll lead the defence, win headers, put in tackles, throw himself in the way of shots and score from set pieces.

He'll play better in a green shirt, than a club one, and when he retires, he will do so as an Ireland legend.

Exactly. 
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 10:00am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Far better.
That doesn't make Duffy a pub league player who just happens to be tall as some are trying to make out

Whoever said he was a pub league player? I think he's a player who will play with teams in the bottom 5 of the PL or the top end of the championship for the next few years.

There will be no massive upward swing in his career from here. He's not going to go from Brighton to Leicester for a couple of years, then move up again on to Spurs. He's built for who he plays with. Burnley would be a decent fit as I said if Brighton went down, but I think he'd also struggle to displace Burnleys starting CBs.

He simply isn't that good. He really isn't that far ahead of Clarke or Keogh for us. He's tall and very good in backs to the wall, 11 in our box defending. Wales away being a perfect example of this. Probably a 10 out of 10 performance for him. He has massive weaknesses in his game also though.

It's funny how good Irish fans think he is in general. An Irish great. Jaysus LOL
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 10:03am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Far better.

Whoever said he was a pub league player? I think he's a player who will play with teams in the bottom 5 of the PL or the top end of the championship for the next few years.

There will be no massive upward swing in his career from here. He's not going to go from Brighton to Leicester for a couple of years, then move up again on to Spurs. He's built for who he plays with. Burnley would be a decent fit as I said if Brighton went down, but I think he'd also struggle to displace Burnleys starting CBs.

He simply isn't that good. He really isn't that far ahead of Clarke or Keogh for us. He's tall and very good in backs to the wall, 11 in our box defending. Wales away being a perfect example of this. Probably a 10 out of 10 performance for him. He has massive weaknesses in his game also though.

It's funny how good Irish fans think he is in general. An Irish great. Jaysus LOL

The person yesterday who said if he was 5"10 he wouldn't be a footballer certainly alluded to that

By the same token, I don't think anyone is saying he's good enough to play for a Champions League side like Tottenham
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 10:08am
He's not good enough to play for the majority of middling PL sides either. Can you imagine Duffy playing at Wolves? 

He can't even pass the ball LOL It's genuinely bizarre that people rate him so highly.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 12:25pm
Ryan Bennett (one of the worst Premier League defenders I've ever seen) plays pretty regularly for Wolves, so yeah, I can. Willy Boly kind of disproves the assumption that you'd have to be great on the ball to play for them too, he's even more awkward than Duffy.
We're decent enough..
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 1:03pm
You have me there tbf. I agree there's the potential to play at a pretty high level in the PL while still being a harmless player.
Gerry Geary View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Geary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 4:02pm
Shane duffy is like Jon Anderson
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Gerry Geary Gerry Geary wrote:

I can’t see Duffy fronting a prog rock group for forty or fifty years.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 4:39pm

How in the name of f**k is he like Anderson?
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Gerry Geary View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Geary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 7:47pm

How in the name of f**k is he like Anderson?

same kind of defender. a no nonsense defender
. A dirty bastard Anderson... He is an icon for the magpies.
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 9:52pm
He was excellent Tonight
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 10:20pm
Duffy was good tonight. Defending his penalty box. Exactly how he likes to play. He'd never leave his own penalty box if he could get away with it.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 10:33pm

Duffy was good tonight. Defending his penalty box. Exactly how he likes to play. He'd never leave his own penalty box if he could get away with it.

*except for attacking corners and set pieces
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 10:37pm
Had a very good game. Brilliant goal line clearance at the end of the first half to keep it level. I was fairly critical of him in years gone by, but anyone who can't see that he's become a good Premier League defender is kidding themselves.
We're decent enough..
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Had a very good game. Brilliant goal line clearance at the end of the first half to keep it level. I was fairly critical of him in years gone by, but anyone who can't see that he's become a good Premier League defender is kidding themselves.

Really?! LOL

Was that when he played underage for Northern Ireland? 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 11:25pm
Not to go back over old ground... But LOL

What does 'good PL defender' mean? It's an extremely vague way to trying to heap praise on someone. Duffy is good at what he does. What he does is exceptionally limited. Which is why there wouldn't be 10 PL teams looking at him if Brighton went down. 2/3 teams who play a similar-ish style to Brighton at times (Burnley, Cardiff if they stayed up, Boro if they got promoted), would be very interested in him imo.

Edited by Hans Moleman - 23 Apr 2019 at 11:26pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 11:42pm

Not to go back over old ground... But LOL

LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6465666768 157>
  Share Topic