Shane Duffy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 157>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2023 at 9:05am
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Hendrick will be a loan signing and they're only allowed two from other English clubs so couldn't see them wasting one on Hendrick.

What's the story with this?

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2023 at 8:53am
Duffy linked with Norwich this morning.
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 10:50pm
i think its safe to say Jazzy wont be playing premier league football after getting reading relegated.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 10:03pm
Tom Lockyer is a top central defender, definitely good enough for the PL. I have not heard the latest about his injury, but they are going to need to strengthen the squad anyway and Shane would certainly be a good man to bring in if it happens. They are going to be doing a lot of defending next season.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 8:49pm
Yeah I don't see Hendrick getting another Premier League move. Think we'll see him on loan again at another bottom half championship team.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 8:33pm
In theory they could just take over the last year of Hendrick's Newcastle contract on a lower wage with Newcastle giving him the balance as a payoff. That way they wouldn't need to waste a loan. Fulham did something similar with Duffy I think.

Having said all that I think it's unlikely we'll see Jeff in the Premier League again.

Edited by You Tell Me - 27 May 2023 at 8:34pm
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 8:30pm
Hendrick will be a loan signing and they're only allowed two from other English clubs so couldn't see them wasting one on Hendrick.

Clark could be an option but he's only featured in two games this year playing 55mins. Though he's a free agent so could get him on the cheap as a back up for the season. Luton only down the road from where he grew up too.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 8:12pm
(Pulled across from the Luke McNally thread)

Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Wonder would Luton show interest in any of the Irish free agents such as Duffy or Manning.

You know I was thinking from watching them today that Luton are the one team in the Premier League that Duffy could still play a big role at. They're very direct and they're probably going to spend most of next season on the back foot defending deep, which would suit him.

They have to spend £10m of their promotion prize money just to get their ricketty old stadium up to EPL standard for next season and most of the rest will be held back to fund their new stadium. So they're unlikely to be spending big - every agent with a player with Premier League experience who is going cheap will be on the phone to them this summer, probably including Jeff Hendrick's and Ciaran Clark's also.

Edited by You Tell Me - 27 May 2023 at 8:13pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 10:18am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

To be fair to the lad he's barely played in months. Judge him after he gets a run of games under his belt, He basically came in from the cold yesterday, he almost scored too as far as I heard?

I think he'd be best to go to a Ch club that value him, maybe a club looking for a new captain (Southampton?). A fully fit Duffy playing week in. week out is perfectly capable of doing a very good job for a Ch club for another 2 or 3 seasons. There will be plenty of interest imo.

I think it will all depend on whether Duffy values trying his hand in the PL, at another club, and going to one if such a move can be arranged. Or, if he can get a Championship club that will play him regularly, and he returns to the type of defender he has traditionally been, which is a 'no nonsense' centre back. At 31 he still has time on his side, and unlike Robbie Brady, and James McCarthy, he dont come with longstanding injury issues.

Unless there's a PL club willing to offer him a first team place, then he'd be best off stepping down a level - I personally think he'd thrive in the Championship. If he wants to extend his international career and I think he can, then he needs to be playing regularly.
Idah Dream!
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 11:39am

To be fair to the lad he's barely played in months. Judge him after he gets a run of games under his belt, He basically came in from the cold yesterday, he almost scored too as far as I heard?

I think he'd be best to go to a Ch club that value him, maybe a club looking for a new captain (Southampton?). A fully fit Duffy playing week in. week out is perfectly capable of doing a very good job for a Ch club for another 2 or 3 seasons. There will be plenty of interest imo.

I think it will all depend on whether Duffy values trying his hand in the PL, at another club, and going to one if such a move can be arranged. Or, if he can get a Championship club that will play him regularly, and he returns to the type of defender he has traditionally been, which is a 'no nonsense' centre back. At 31 he still has time on his side, and unlike Robbie Brady, and James McCarthy, he dont come with longstanding injury issues.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 11:29am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Duffy got a 15 minute run out for Fulham yesterday, by far his lengthiest league appearance this season. Leicester scored twice while he was on and he was at fault for one of those goals with an absolutely awful back-header in his own penalty area.

It will be interesting to see where he ends up next season, probably in the Championship, but he might have to settle for a mid to lower table Championship team, like a Birmingham City or a Cardiff. It's likely that any further minutes he might get for Fulham between now and the end of the season will be his last in the Premier League, if yesterday doesn't turn out to be his last appearance.

It's a shame the way things have worked out for him, he's still only 31, it feels like he's older for some reason, but there's really no market for his style of play in the Premier League anymore. His presence in opposition penalty areas should give him at least a few Championship options though.

This style of play thing is a little exaggerated imo, yes he's not exactly a modern ball playing centre half, but he managed to function perfectly well in a good passing Brighton team for a number of seasons. He's perfectly capable of playing a bit of football and imo he will do well in the Championship. Good leader too, he'll have plenty of suitors and I think he'll pick up more caps in the future.

When you look at his mistake yesterday (and it's worth a look for anyone who hasn't seen it), a few years ago he would have just headed that off the park and there would have been no issue. He tried to be clever with the back header and it ended in a Leicester goal. He just doesn't have the footballing touch to play that kind of game.

While I'm regularly surprised by the transfers players can get based on little other than "Premier League Experience" (see Jeff Hendrick to Newcastle as a prime example), I'd still be surprised if Duffy got another Premier League move this summer.

Edited by John Nice - 09 May 2023 at 11:29am
Idah Dream!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 11:03am

Duffy got a 15 minute run out for Fulham yesterday, by far his lengthiest league appearance this season. Leicester scored twice while he was on and he was at fault for one of those goals with an absolutely awful back-header in his own penalty area.

It will be interesting to see where he ends up next season, probably in the Championship, but he might have to settle for a mid to lower table Championship team, like a Birmingham City or a Cardiff. It's likely that any further minutes he might get for Fulham between now and the end of the season will be his last in the Premier League, if yesterday doesn't turn out to be his last appearance.

It's a shame the way things have worked out for him, he's still only 31, it feels like he's older for some reason, but there's really no market for his style of play in the Premier League anymore. His presence in opposition penalty areas should give him at least a few Championship options though.

This style of play thing is a little exaggerated imo, yes he's not exactly a modern ball playing centre half, but he managed to function perfectly well in a good passing Brighton team for a number of seasons. He's perfectly capable of playing a bit of football and imo he will do well in the Championship. Good leader too, he'll have plenty of suitors and I think he'll pick up more caps in the future.

When you look at his mistake yesterday (and it's worth a look for anyone who hasn't seen it), a few years ago he would have just headed that off the park and there would have been no issue. He tried to be clever with the back header and it ended in a Leicester goal. He just doesn't have the footballing touch to play that kind of game.

While I'm regularly surprised by the transfers players can get based on little other than "Premier League Experience" (see Jeff Hendrick to Newcastle as a prime example), I'd still be surprised if Duffy got another Premier League move this summer.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 10:46am
Can see him remaining at a PL club as back up. Wouldn't be surprised if Everton become interested given their financial issues. Move on a back up on good money and bring Duffy in on a free as a cheap back up. Especially if relegated.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 10:36am

Idah Dream!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 10:06am

Edited by You Tell Me - 09 May 2023 at 10:16am
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2023 at 9:36pm

He's not as poor with ball at feet as some make out

Presumably you never saw him at Celtic 🤦🏼‍♂️LOL
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2023 at 2:18pm
Calf injury apparently. Don't know when he's back, but at this point I assume he won't make the Ireland squad regardless.
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2023 at 2:08pm
Is he injured or just not making the match squad now?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 157>
  Share Topic