You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Penalty Points

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 4:20pm
The north are now doing 'speed awareness courses' in lieu of penalty points in some instances.

4 hour course costs £85 instead of £65 fine and 3 penalty points.
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 9:54am
Can an officer in an unmarked Garda car with a speed gun give you penalty points if they don't chase you down per say?

To cut a long story short I was driving through Roscommon yesterday doing about 110km in a 100km zone and saw this unmarked car a good 30 yards in off the side of the road clocking peoples speed.

I was of the opinion that unless they follow you and then pull you in they can't give you penalty points/fine etc or am I way off?

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 9:57am
Are they able to prove you were over the limit?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Can an officer in an unmarked Garda car with a speed gun give you penalty points if they don't chase you down per say?

To cut a long story short I was driving through Roscommon yesterday doing about 110km in a 100km zone and saw this unmarked car a good 30 yards in off the side of the road clocking peoples speed.

I was of the opinion that unless they follow you and then pull you in they can't give you penalty points/fine etc or am I way off?

You’ll be fine lad! They’d have to actually stop you to give you the points nothing to worry about. You were only 10km over anyway.

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 03 Jul 2020 at 10:12am
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

but if you hit with a speed gun and not stopped then you are fine. They just give the speed and then the Garda can pull you in if he wants. Roadside cameras and vans are the ones to worry about. 
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 9:06pm
Cheers gents very much appreciated Clap

I only have 3 points on my licence thus far (not due to be removed until November 2021) but with my job I'm on the road a hell of a lot and travelling long distances every week so extremely dependant on having a car.

6 points could soon become 9 etc you know yourself!!! 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 10:01pm
So a police car parked on side of the road with a speed gun has to be a marked car for you to get penalty points?

Was certain I was done two weeks ago, doing about 65mph in a 60, police car was unmarked on the hard shoulder with a cop with a gun out the window but nothing has come in yet
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 12:17am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

So a police car parked on side of the road with a speed gun has to be a marked car for you to get penalty points?

Was certain I was done two weeks ago, doing about 65mph in a 60, police car was unmarked on the hard shoulder with a cop with a gun out the window but nothing has come in yet
Pretty sure you get 10% leeway anyway. You do in England
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 7:43am
I’d heard of that years ago but thought they’d done away with it 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 9:43pm
If two vehicles on the motorway go past a police van sitting on the hard shoulder checking speeds, at the same time does it check both their speeds or a specific lane?

Huggybeer View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huggybeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 12:19pm

If two vehicles on the motorway go past a police van sitting on the hard shoulder checking speeds, at the same time does it check both their speeds or a specific lane?

I think the vans are capable of monitoring 6 lanes at one time, so I think yes, they can capture speed of two lanes at one time
Getting old and intolerant
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 12:50pm
f**k sake

I’ll have more points than Norwich very soon 
Huggybeer View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huggybeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 1:29pm
yeah private company arnt going to miss out on potential revenue, fingers crossed
Getting old and intolerant
foggy.nelson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foggy.nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 2:05pm
Was driving on the M7 motorway Saturday and a guard was pulled in and was using what looked like half a binocular which google has just told me is a monocular. Any idea what this gadget is, I'm more curios than anything as I think I was below the speed anyway
cliffrichard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliffrichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by foggy.nelson foggy.nelson wrote:

Was driving on the M7 motorway Saturday and a guard was pulled in and was using what looked like half a binocular which google has just told me is a monocular. Any idea what this gadget is, I'm more curios than anything as I think I was below the speed anyway

Just on the way into Limerick? I saw him too. He looked about 12. 

Plenty of motorists going the opposite way flashing the warning lights so doubt he caught many. 
Touts Out!
foggy.nelson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foggy.nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by cliffrichard cliffrichard wrote:

Originally posted by foggy.nelson foggy.nelson wrote:

Just on the way into Limerick? I saw him too. He looked about 12. 

Plenty of motorists going the opposite way flashing the warning lights so doubt he caught many. 

Yip just after the Birdhill exit.
Can they even catch you if they don't pull you in??
Whatever he was using to check was tine anyway, nothing like a speed gun, more like half a binocularOuchLOL
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 3:41pm

Same happened me outside of Navan on the road to Dublin. I’d say it depends what angle you and the vehicle on the inside of you was to the camera or device. I know a fella who used to be in the speed cans and he said you literally had to be on top of the vans to to catch you. I would have been over it on that occasions was dead on.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

Same happened me outside of Navan on the road to Dublin. I’d say it depends what angle you and the vehicle on the inside of you was to the camera or device. I know a fella who used to be in the speed cans and he said you literally had to be on top of the vans to to catch you. I would have been over it on that occasions was dead on.
Yeah I've heard that you need to be within 80m of the van/gun, so if ya see it soon enough and do a safe emergency break you'll be fine.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic