Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sunderland Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13181319132013211322 1451>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 9:38pm
Sweet Baby Jesus and the orphans!
Sponsored Links

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 9:44pm
I felt the same way when I read people thought they were filming it for good exposure!

If the virus doesn't make me wear a facemask so I can't be seen, another series of this might

Edited by coyne - 02 Apr 2020 at 9:44pm
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Not a fan of the new exec director so far 
Methven is not well liked by staff  at SAFC and some of his comments about Sunderland fans is a disgrace

Right arsehole alright 
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 12:36am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Methven is not well liked by staff  at SAFC and some of his comments about Sunderland fans is a disgrace

Right arsehole alright 

Hes a tough business man but has a nasty ego about him 

Sunderland people seem strong minded tough people and I doubt would put up with that kind of sh*t 

Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 6:19am

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Right arsehole alright 

Hes a tough business man but has a nasty ego about him 

Sunderland people seem strong minded tough people and I doubt would put up with that kind of sh*t 

Spot on Methven  came over as a charmer initially very engaging with the fans in pubs etc but it was a charm offensive then his real self emerged. Typical feckin Tory.

Edited by Double Maxim - 03 Apr 2020 at 6:20am
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 8:01am
Sunderlands biggest problem is that they still operate under the illusion that they are a massive club. Even more baffling is they keep finding these gowls who are somehow convinced that they are running a massive club. Its a reality check is whats missing in this show.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 8:15am
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Sunderlands biggest problem is that they still operate under the illusion that they are a massive club. Even more baffling is they keep finding these gowls who are somehow convinced that they are running a massive club. Its a reality check is whats missing in this show.
Sunderland are in division one for a reason they deserve to be because of their failure on the pitch. Any new owners are bound to see it becoming a big club with the facilities and fanbase it has to achieve their ambitions.
Patman Scoop View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patman Scoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 10:27am
great watch again but had those new owners never played football manager ? Confused

Maja's replacement should have been lined up in November , or better still , you can leave on a free in the summer and score us the goals to promotion in the meantime , thanks...€1.5m was a joke.

Also what was your man at after the playoff final ??? "tell me we'll be good again ...please I need something"  you're a grown man mate FFS LOL

Your man Charlie was some prick .....the second he referred to them as "season cards" he was done LOL
Why no wine??!
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

But you have to factor in that Sunderland are a massive club for the level that they're currently operating at, even if the club were in the Championship the same would still apply.

Everything about the club from infrastructure, to the size of the fan-base, to the recent playing squad wage budget (17/18 season) etc screams "Premiership Football Club" so all of this has to be taken into account, ignoring it would be just plain silly. 

You also seem to be unaware that our current owner was the previous owner of Eastleigh FC, now could you imagine the jump in terms of size from owning a non league club to a club which had spent the vast majority of the last 20 years playing in the Premier League?

I will admit that the owners regular comments about the clubs potential were certainly over the top and wide of the mark, when in truth even if the club did fulfil it's potential it would be nothing more than a top 10/15 Premier League side and that's it. 

"If" the club can get promoted back to the Championship within the next season or two, I would be confident that there will be no problem finding an owner who will help the club take that next step to get back upto the Premiership. 

I do feel the club needs to have an identity i.e. in terms of the style of play right through the underage set up and into the first team, we have never had one and its the main reason why for years our recruitment in the transfer market was very much a shambles and the turnover of players every summer was frightening. 

I think Sunderland could learn a lot from Wolves, Bournemouth, Burnley etc and stick to that template long term even when results aren't going well. 

Edited by Green Devil - 03 Apr 2020 at 4:06pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 4:00pm
Learn from Wolves? As in find someone who’s mates with Jorge Mendes and have him hoy all of his clients to your club?

It’s a good idea but rather tricky to pull off when it’s been done once already LOL
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 4:03pm
They have got a lot of curious neutral support with the netflix series, same can be siad for Salford City with there tv series . I knw of a few who supported them when Roy Keane was in charge of the team. Id love to see him and Melthven together at the club 

Not looking great for them this season either

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 4:10pm
Salford may have some neutral support elsewhere, but in League Two they certainly aren’t liked.

Sunderland have huge potential. They are a big club that has been continually mismanaged. That local passion holds them back though, there aren’t many teams that have that pressure, especially in the lower leagues. Leeds had it too in League One, and I don’t think there is half as much local pride or importance in the local team in Leeds as there is in Sunderland. 

Edited by pre Madonna - 03 Apr 2020 at 4:11pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Learn from Wolves? As in find someone who’s mates with Jorge Mendes and have him hoy all of his clients to your club?

It’s a good idea but rather tricky to pull off when it’s been done once already LOL

I do feel the club needs to have an identity i.e. in terms of the style of play right through the underage set up and into the first team, we have never had one and its the main reason why for years our recruitment in the transfer market was very much a shambles and the turnover of players every summer was frightening. 

I think Sunderland could learn a lot from Wolves, Bournemouth, Burnley etc and stick to that template long term even when results aren't going well. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My post is more to do with seeing the club develop a club philosophy, finding an identity and sticking to it.

Every team in our academy working with the same 2/3 formations that the first team are using, any new manager coming in would need to try and stick to that template as much as possible to allow a smoother transition for academy players to step upto the first team and at least in the transfer market you will be only looking for a certain type of player who will fit the system and so forth.

Sunderland's problem was that they would go from a manager who wanted to play out from the back, to a manager who favoured a more direct approach, to a manager who didn't have a set way of playing etc which led to a sickening turnover of players every summer.

Swansea went from Martinez, to Sousa, to Rodgers to Laudrup so in a nutshell what does that mean?

It meant that even if the previous manager left, the new manager coming in was cut from the same cloth and their styles were similar so everything was centred around that (the clubs philosophy)

It's a bit like Burnley, imagine Sean Dyche left in the morning and they put Pep Guardiola in charge as opposed to Tony Pulis. Burnley would have to start allover again under Guardiola, whereas someone like Pulis would be able to work off the same template Dyche was and wouldn't be changing much due to their similar style.

Edited by Green Devil - 03 Apr 2020 at 4:23pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 4:53pm
Methven seems confident of new owners coming in soon but there isn't any indication who they are at this stage. Another new dawn or more disappointment?

Edited by Double Maxim - 03 Apr 2020 at 4:55pm
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

"If" the club can get promoted back to the Championship within the next season or two, I would be confident that there will be no problem finding an owner who will help the club take that next step to get back upto the Premiership. 

Brentford have a Danish Co-Director of Football, Rasmus Ankerson, who had something interesting to say about this recently (can't find the interview). He's also Chairman of FC Mitjelland, who he and Bees owner Matthew Benham took to their first ever Danish title recently, so he's got a good CV.

Anyhow, he talks about how hard it is for clubs like Brentford - and by extension Sunderland - to compete in the Championship. In fact he reckons that Brentford would actually find it easier in the PL, as follows.

In the EPL, the bulk of the money comes from TV, and for the domestic rights at least, this is reasonably evenly distributed between top and bottom club.

Whereas in the Championship, the whole economics are skewed by the fact that half the clubs have parachute payments which far exceed the income of those other clubs which don't. Which is why even well-supported clubs like Leeds, Derby or Sheff.Wed, whose matchday income is much bigger than that of eg Swansea or Fulham, have spent years without getting promoted.

And now that the EFL are finally clamping down more effectively on FFP (stadium sale-and-leasebacks excepted), even when a club has wealthy owners, they're not able to just throw money at signing new players.

Therefore if you don't have parachute money (and ideally something left over from your time in the PL), then the only hope of getting promoted comes from exceptional ownership/management eg Sheff U under Wilder, Leeds and Bielsa, or Norwich and Farke etc.

And "exceptional ownership/management" aren't words you normally associate with Sunderland... LOL
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 10:05pm
@Terri, 

Yeah I watched a documentary on Brentford a couple of years ago and it offered an amazing insight into how they run their club.

Most aspects are based primarily on statistics, especially in player recruitment which is unbelievable for a small club to have basically mastered and it puts many big clubs to shame tbh. 

To have the foresight to make a bold decision to put all your trust into statistics was not just groundbreaking but also shows when you truly believe in something that with risk comes reward. 

For sure, parachute payments are big business but as you've mentioned promotion can be done without them also and a well ran club who are patient can achieve great things (which is the way I want Sunderland to go)

Again, being in League 1 and learning (hopefully) from the mistakes of yesteryear can give Sunderland a new lease of life and a chance to build a solid platform for years to come, something the club couldn't do in the PL.

I'm actually fairly optimistic for the future.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 6:43am
@Tonyjaa I thought you might like this craic Sunderland player Chris Maguire was doing a Sunderland fans Q&A session and Chris was asked would he rather play for Rangers or Newcastle? After a long pause Maguire lifted his Celtic treble treble mug and responded saying neither. Cool

Edited by Double Maxim - 04 Apr 2020 at 6:44am
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 8:43am
I like this Methven chap, five minutes into the first episode and he has a crack at Rangers.Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13181319132013211322 1451>
  Share Topic