You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ciarán Clark

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 107108109110111 114>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 1:40am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Fitz Fitz wrote:

Originally posted by Fitz Fitz wrote:

LOL James McCarthy became Roy Keane over the past few years. If Clark can miss another couple of years he will be Paul McGrath.

Could you ramp up the hyperbole any more, d’you reckon? 
I will certainly try, it is very much de rigeur here.

Well, with statements like that one above, it’s fair to say ‘you’d know’! 
Well obviously written with tongue-in-cheek, it isn't unfair to say that the longer a player goes without playing the better he becomes. That's as true of retired players as ones still available. 

There's no way Clark was ever better than Egan is currently and the views you expressed are, I believe, because the memory is better than the reality. Likewise,  I think McCarthy is going ro be a key player for the next couple years if he can remain fit, largely due to the current dearth of options, but some of those extolling his virtues on here can't have remembered seeing him play because his weaknesses were rarely discussed. 

Except I said nothing about Egan.

McCarthy has never set the world alight for us but he wasn’t helped by playing alongside Whelan for so long, as both of them at once was overkill (not a diss aimed at Whelan btw). The best games he had for us were the ones he played without GW, in my opinion. Still our strongest option in that position for sure. 
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 1:43am
Egan seems to be continuing to improve, whereas Clark has never fulfilled his early promise. 

If Stevens continues to struggle in the system could he be an alternative at left-back? There are few alternatives and I seem to remember him liking being left of a three, doesn't necessarily equate and he may be totally unsuitable. 
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 1:57am

Egan seems to be continuing to improve, whereas Clark has never fulfilled his early promise. 

If Stevens continues to struggle in the system could he be an alternative at left-back? There are few alternatives and I seem to remember him liking being left of a three, doesn't necessarily equate and he may be totally unsuitable. 
Would Clark be an option as a holding midfielder if McCarthy is injured which is always a big possibility.. He played midfield at Villa early in his career and it seems a problem area for us at the moment until hopefully Conor Coventry fulfills his great potential 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 2:06am
Since making his debut in the 09/10 season, Clark has played in 10 Premier League campaigns, with the most number of appearances coming in the 12/13 campaign when he made 29 appearances. In only 4 campaigns has he played 20 times or more. You could just about call him a regular at PL level I guess.

It's important to note that Sheffield United finished 9th in Egan's first season in the PL and were in contention for the Champions League qualification places until the last few weeks of the season.

Ciaran Clark has always played for teams that finished closer to the relegation places, save for his breakthrough season in 10/11 when Villa finished 9th (but miles away from the European places) and the 17/18 season when Newcastle finished 10th (but again, miles away from the European places).

The campaign where Villa had a proper tilt at making the Champions league qualification places came before Clark broke through.

It's also worth mentioning that Clark played a good few games in midfield for Villa before eventually settling into a defender.
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 2:13am

Would definitely like to see Clark in a 3 for us, for sure, but by all accounts it’s not something Kenny is likely to do. 
Darren View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 7:58pm
starts tonight for Newcastle. Hope he stays fit as a very good option for us imo

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 1:15pm
No Clark in Newcastle's squad today. Thought he might have an outside chance of starting.

Ah well.
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 2:05pm
Came of at half time during the week. Could be injured
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 2:25pm
It is an injury.
Bham_McDermott View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bham_McDermott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 9:07pm
Any NUFC fans know the latest on his fitness? cheers
I don't agree with THAT, in the workplace!
Slow & Blind View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slow & Blind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by Bham_McDermott Bham_McDermott wrote:

Any NUFC fans know the latest on his fitness? cheers
Came back too early last month and got injured again. Due back in the next few weeks I think. 
Whelan88 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whelan88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 12:57pm
Never rated Clark, always looks to have a mistake in him similar to John Stones at City, that sort of player has it innately and no amount of coaching will eradicate it.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 2:19pm
He's 31 too.
I would rather be blooding through Dara O'Shea.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

He's 31 too.

I still wouldn't discard him, 31 is still young for a centre back and will provide able cover if needed for our first choice pairing when required.

O'Shea is playing at full back for WBA too so maybe its a case of as he gets older he will naturally progress into a centre back at Premiership level.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
zero View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 4:12pm
he's ok, has a goal in him but isn't very commanding. i would put him on a par with kevin long who is more physical but has less footballing ability so the two end up about even.

he'd be a mainstay for a championship side but never more than a backup at premier level i feel, partially because he's quite injury prone. 
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

He's 31 too.

I still wouldn't discard him, 31 is still young for a centre back and will provide able cover if needed for our first choice pairing when required.

O'Shea is playing at full back for WBA too so maybe its a case of as he gets older he will naturally progress into a centre back at Premiership level.

o'shea has started the season playing cb in back 3 in the epl for wba
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by zero zero wrote:

He went through tough battles in Villa's perennial relegation battles under a series of crap managers. He's definitely EPL standard. Experience and skill wise, he's well ahead of what Long has shown so far. Your comments are typical and reinforce my belief that Clark is probably the most unappreciated player to pull on an Irish jersey in recent times.   
I'd say he's the exact opposite. He's been the weakest link of all the centre backs to have played a significant number of games for us over the last decade and has been somewhat less effective than the less fashionable Richard Keogh for instance and yet there are many Ireland fans who still like to imagine he is some kind of top centre back star material based on nothing he's ever actually shown or achieved in his career at club or international level bar one decent season in the championship with Newcastle. No manager at Aston Villa or elsewhere ever asked him to go out on the pitch and defend incompetently, he has to be accountable for his own deficiencies.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 6:11pm
I think it’s safe to say in all the times watching Ireland our centre halves have not been the issue.  

E
AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 107108109110111 114>
  Share Topic