FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFavourite Irish memory

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 3:47am
mcAteers goal against the Dutch in Lansdowne was amazing but i have 2 say robbie's equaliser against ze Germans was my highlight..

my grandad was buried that morning and i was in the pub with my family watchin the game after the funeral..when robbie's goal went in me and my dad went absolutely crazy..then when we calmed down somebody came over to us and said..'if we took a picture of u 2 and told u that this is what ur reaction was on the day grandad was buried would u believe us?'

we sat back down..
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
Sponsored Links

FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 3:58am
I'm sure Grandad was celebrating with yiz Gaz
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Honey Monster View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 4:20am
I would have loved to have seen Ben's face when he realised that he was at a funeral Gazsh - say it was priceless! FW is right though, your granda would have been chuffed
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 4:25am
I was doing fcekin Leaving Cert history when Robbie scored. All i could hear was one of the exam attendants screaming his head off in the corridoor with his little radio.. I remember asking the exam supervisor to find out who scored..

Needless to say i did fairly sh*t in that exam altogether but it was worth it
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 5:06am
yeah it was just one of those moments that ill never forget..me and my dad embracing in the pub..screaming our heads off..the rest of the family were reletively quiet..amazing feeling when the ball hit the back of the net..we all knew then that a result against the saudies would get us through..great feeling..
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
theworm2345 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 8:10am

I think it is this guy's favorite too

League of Ireland archive with reports back to 91/92 (goalscorers for First Division) now online, plus Twitter: twitter.com/StattoLOI
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 8:58am
Greatest match i was ever at was Ireland - Holland in 2001 when McAteer scored and we held them out. Ken Doherty was in front of me and everyone was hugging and we stayed back in the stadium after the game for a little party.

I was to young for Euro 88 and Italia 90 (although I remember my family celebrating by getting out on the garage roof and everyone running around the roads celebrating).

USA 94 I was only 9 but I remember it well. Firstly McLoughlan's equaliser in the North and the run out on the streets that followed. Then at the World Cup I think beating Italy on the World stage was probably our biggest ever achievement. Again the match was followed by a crazy run out onto the streets. People going absolutely crazy.

2002 World Cup, Keane's two late goals against Germany and Spain respectively. Not sure which one I loved more. Probably Spain but we ended up losing in the end so their was disapointed whereas the Germany game we had a party in my friends and had a great night (shagged two birds)
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 8:59am
I will always remember that old man in the crowd crying with joy after Keane scored the penalty against Spain
Donal Cullen View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 9:20am
I remember drawing with Holland in Rotterdam in 1981 and getting a video of the game years ago. My brother was at the match and still refers to it as the time "when we thought we were great". One of the worst memories of that time was the game in Belgium when we lost to a late goal after having a goal  by Frankie disallowed. The award of the free kick and the subsequent scramble that led to the goal still annoys me as does Gerry Armstrong's goal for Norn Iron in 1979.
There are friendlier places to drink.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 10:12am

Thanks Donal, sorry, yiz can scrub the Lansdowne Riot as my worst memory, that game in Brussells in 1981 was scandalous and cost Eoin Hand a place in the 1982 WC in Spain.  Fckn bastard Portuguese ref, Nazare his name was, disallowed a perfectly good goal by Stapo as Donal says.  Brady swung in a free and Stapo did great to get ahead of his marker to score, then the fookin linesman cnut put his flag up for no good reason cos Stapo wasn't near offside and the ref decided to disallow it.  Fookin OUTRAGEOUS.  Then late in the game, Gerets dived outside our box, they got a free that hit the bar, bounced up and Jan Ceulemans headed home from close in despite a rake of bodies in the goalmouth and Kevin Moran nearly stopping it going in.  That was the sickest and angriest I was ever in my football life following Ireland (I was only 15 then) and as yiz see, I get completely furious now recalling it.   BASTARDS Angry

We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 10:15am
Well lads my favourite memory of the boys in Green is a lot less glamourus... Its the first time i was ever at Landsdown rd (or any stadium for that matter), June 1996, we were playing Croatia in warm up friendly (For them of course not us!) before the Euro's in England that summer. I was only 8 years old n me Dad took me.... I can remember sitting on a barracade in the South Terrace before the match looking down on the pitch... For me at that moment Lansdown was the best stadium in the world..... For the record we drew 2 all. Keith O'Neill and Niall Quinn scored i think.
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 10:24am
Think my worst Ireland moment was Macadonia scoring from a corner with 6 seconds to go. We would have qualified for Euro 2000 ahead of Yugoslavia and Croatia in first place but for that moment
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 10:28am
Yeah that's another terrible moment Andy, so near but yet so far, Keith O'Neill got dogs didn't he for not marking his man........?   Kieft's goal in Euro 88 to knock us out was poxy as well, another thread maybe........10 worst Irish moments.......
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 10:45am
Was too young to remember his goal in 88 but we would have knocked out Holland if he had not of scored wouldn't we?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 11:06am

That's right Andy, the Dutch had lost to USSR in their first game and had beaten England.  We'd beaten England and drawn with Soviets so a draw woulda put us through alright.  How fine the margins are between success and failure.........

Edited by FREEWHEELER - 28 Apr 2008 at 11:07am
brianie View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 12:54pm
Agame we should have lost but won(England, a game we should have won but drew(USSR) a game we should have drawn but lost(Holland) !!
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time
ernesto guevara View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Think my worst Ireland moment was Macadonia scoring from a corner with 6 seconds to go. We would have qualified for Euro 2000 ahead of Yugoslavia and Croatia in first place but for that moment

Davor Suker's injury time goal in the same campaign in Zagreb was a horrible kick to the gut,we had held them out and were well on the way to Qualifying and that dreded chant "Youll never beat the Irish" was in full flow then BANG, never forget it,what a sickner,ill always hate that chant now
If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 5:02pm
That above game in Zagreb was one of McCarthy's major fck ups.  We were after beating Yugoslavia the previous Wed in Lansdowne and he dropped Robbie and went 4-5-1 with Cascarino up front on his own, it was a miracle we only lost 1-0 and we were lucky to get nil.......from beating Yugoslavia to a pre-match surrender in Zagreb, dreadful Mick, absolutely rubbish.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic