You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Padraig Amond

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 085immersive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 3:16pm
It was a cracker of a shot.
Sponsored Links

Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 4:34pm
Midtable conference is about the lads level
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 6:01pm
Harsh, he's definitely a decent League 2 standard player, I may have said it before but he's basically a lower leagues Shane Long IMO.
We're decent enough..
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 6:19pm
Nut puns or GTFO
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 6:58pm
He has come out of his shell since he moved there
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 7:16pm
I dunno what he earns at his club but I reckon its peanuts

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 7:18pm
He was giving a right roasting by the manager at the start of the season
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 8:35pm
He was asSALTED one night in town when a man pulled out a knife and demanded his walnut.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 9:23pm
Rumor has it he was caught pecan at lads in the showers
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 9:27pm
O'Neill might get him on board for the Macademia cruch match in the WC qualifiers. That could be a tough nut to crack.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 9:33pm
When asked to do a bit more on his defensive work from frees he said "you want me in the wall are ye nuts"
nice triangles View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nice triangles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 11:30am
Could have all worked out so differently for this player....a few years a ago he had his big chance in the Portuguese top flight but gave up on it because he was home sick...Portugal is 'very far from home' ...and no one spoke English...apparently. Pity he didn't tough it out for a few more years, surely his lot would be better than playing non league football in England at this stage of his career.  
Since that in fact his old club, Pacos, have gone from strength to strength...finished 3rd in Portugal last year and have played in Europe.
One also wonders if being homesick would have been an acceptable reason to give up a job in any other profession for someone in their early 20's? ....if no one speaks English how about enroll in Portuguese classes?....
Maybe I'm being harsh but just a thought.
Bohsfan84 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bohsfan84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 11:45am
Most foreign footballers leave school with fluency in three languages. Some can speak five or six. They are obliged to learn a new language when they come to a foreign country.

Irish players are so indulged that they won't consider doing this and would rather toil in the 2nd or 3rd tier of English football as a result.

Most Irish footballers only want to spend their summer holidays abroad and that's it. Their primary concern isn't arts, culture or new surroundings; instead, it's how many pubs are there?

Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nice triangles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 12:16pm
Yeah its a pity they don't seem to want to broaden their horizons, being indulged is a fair point too - if you are good from an early age this carry on begins before they are teenagers too. 
If someone from any other walk of life (Mechanic, Accountant, IT, Carpenter etc) secured a job in Portugal and gave it up after a year or two because of the distance to Portugal and the fact that everyone spoke Portuguese!....people would think honestly think there is something wrong with them.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Bohsfan84 Bohsfan84 wrote:

Most foreign footballers leave school with fluency in three languages. Some can speak five or six. They are obliged to learn a new language when they come to a foreign country.

Irish players are so indulged that they won't consider doing this and would rather toil in the 2nd or 3rd tier of English football as a result.

Most Irish footballers only want to spend their summer holidays abroad and that's it. Their primary concern isn't arts, culture or new surroundings; instead, it's how many pubs are there?

True, they are still stuck in a 1970s and 1980s mindset. You only have to look around Europe and see the number of players moving around the Continent with ease and not a bother to them.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 1:13pm
Don't think his failure in Portugal had much to do with homesickness or an unwillingness to integrate, the main factor was that he just wasn't good enough.
We're decent enough..
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nice triangles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Don't think his failure in Portugal had much to do with homesickness or an unwillingness to integrate, the main factor was that he just wasn't good enough.
That may be some of the truth but the homesick line was one he put out himself. 
He jacked the whole thing in and left Portugal without a club. Not being good enough could be at the root of it but if that was the main reason Pacos would have just sold him on. Also he could have only improved if he stuck it out in Portugal, which he could have as the club seemed happy enough to keep him.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 2:13pm
We should think of the Portuguest league as a good opportunity for Irish players. Most teams are not particularly flush with cash, so they are willing to search for players in new markets. Young lads from LOI would definitely benefit from the technical standard.

I met a guy through work over here who was telling me that his brother-in-law (or something like that) is an English fella who played college level in the U.S. but has ended up playing in Portugal. I found him with a quick Google: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Jones_(footballer,_born_1986)

If players of that standard can build a good career in Portugal, there is no reason why more of our players shouldn't be looking at it as an option. It's a step above the North America, Scandanavian, S.E. Asian leagues that seem to be most attractive to many out of contract LOI players.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
  Share Topic