You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Padraig Amond

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 1:55pm
Amond has made his debut. He looked decent enough from what I seen. Pacos equalised in the last minute.
Sponsored Links

MrFantastico View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrFantastico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 1:55pm
made the difference when he came on around the 67th minute mark,always looking for a pass and gave the team the spark to get back into the game from 2-0 down to draw 2-2
We hate princess diana, we hate elton john too, we hate orange bastards but rovers we love you.    KOH
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 12:28pm
Anyone know how he is getting on?
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 10:45am
L.M.L.BUMP
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 11:06am
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 11:10am
Played in two more games in the league when he came on as a late sub, according to Eurosport.

Hope he gets a chance in the big game tonight against Benfica, KO 8.45 GMT.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 3:40pm
PhilliyK has been tracking his progress for Irish Abroad for me: http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/PlayerDetails?playerID=55195
Jokerman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jokerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 11:45am
Amond has been left on the bench with Pacos losing 3-1 to Rio Ave away from home. The manager has opted to bring on Simao and Pizzi despite Amond's goal midweek.

Edit: On in the 87th minute.

Edited by Jokerman - 14 Nov 2010 at 11:52am
JoeyLapira View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeyLapira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 1:44pm
Amond was playing a cup game midweek. No reason to expect him to start in the league.
Jokerman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jokerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by JoeyLapira JoeyLapira wrote:

Amond was playing a cup game midweek. No reason to expect him to start in the league.
As they continue their rapid slide down the table, I would expect him to get more opportunities. It's kind of pointless investing in a player and going months without playing him.
Jokerman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jokerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 11:54am
An unused substitute today..
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 12:18pm
As a personal friend of Podge i feel for him not getting game time after moving out there!!! Sligo lost their top goal scorer . bagged €50,000 or whatever it was , Pacos sign a striker who"s as natural a goal scorer as you"ll see around at this level and wont give him a game Thumbs%20Down  Let it be hurling , soccer or gaelic growing up the man is just an animal to score!! Esp with Pacos struggling ya think they"d f**king play him!!!!
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
PhilliyK View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Granny Grabber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilliyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 12:59pm
It looks to me from tracking his progress for Tetsujin1979 that he is 3rd choice striker, stuck behind 2 not so prolific strikers. Fancied Pacos to win today and shuda done them ffs

He has started in a cup game or 2 but dont think of the top of me head thats he started a league game yet though could be wrong.
Jokerman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jokerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by PhilliyK PhilliyK wrote:

It looks to me from tracking his progress for Tetsujin1979 that he is 3rd choice striker, stuck behind 2 not so prolific strikers. Fancied Pacos to win today and shuda done them ffs

He has started in a cup game or 2 but dont think of the top of me head thats he started a league game yet though could be wrong.
Yeah he's still waiting for his first league start which is fine after a couple of weeks but gets worrying after a few months.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 1:06pm

Correct, just the one start in a cup game so far, when he scored: http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/PlayerDetails?playerID=55195&seasonID=140

Thanks again for tracking his appearance data for me, I really appreciate it.
PhilliyK View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Granny Grabber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilliyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Correct, just the one start in a cup game so far, when he scored: http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/PlayerDetails?playerID=55195&seasonID=140

Thanks again for tracking his appearance data for me, I really appreciate it.
No probs - gives me some extra insight into the portugese & dutch leagues for all my bets lol not that i've been winning many so far this year
Jokerman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jokerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 3:53pm
An unused substitute today..
Jokerman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jokerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 7:01am

Amond's portugoal

Wild rover finding his feet after swapping Sligo for the sun of Pacos de Ferreira

Saturday December 18 2010

LIKE any home bird, Padraig Amond is giddy about returning to see his family for Christmas. This year's festive journey will be different to any of the others, however.

Twelve months ago, the Carlow lad was pondering the challenge of moving to Sligo after leaving Shamrock Rovers in search of regular first-team football.

Tomorrow evening, in his last official duty before departing for the homestead, he will be coming up against twice European champions FC Porto in a Portuguese Premier Division encounter.

"If you'd told me that a year ago, I'd have laughed at you," chuckles Amond, who managed to make his mother happy when he relocated to a part of the world where a winter break is an established part of the calendar. "She was, like, sign quickly, sign quickly," he recalls.

Amond is settling into his new life with Pacos de Ferreira, the club who made a surprise move for the League of Ireland's then top scorer in August.

spectacular

A spectacular period of goalscoring with Sligo propelled the affable youngster onto the radar of clubs in the UK and across Europe. The sum total was the opportunity to ply his trade in one of the top leagues on the continent, a road that few Irishmen have travelled.

"I spoke to an Irish international who had the chance to go abroad and turned it down, and he still regrets it," reflects Amond, who pressed ahead with the switch to avoid the feeling of 'what if' even though it came at the price of missing EA Sports and FAI Cup glory with Sligo.

He watched those games from afar as he immersed himself in a whole new lifestyle, a completely different culture to anything he had experienced before.

It didn't help that the language school in the relatively small town of Pacos de Ferreira are only now available to provide tuition, but with an Australian team-mate and an understanding dressing-room with a reasonable command of English, that side of things has generally been okay.

Instead, the real eye-opener has been the style of play and an approach to the game that contrasts with what the 22-year-old experienced during his education in the League of Ireland.

"We have tactics meetings every second day," Amond told the Irish Independent. "A lot of these lads would have been at bigger clubs when they were younger and the coaching would have been of really high quality.

"I never really got that. Usually, training was a few ball drills and then games. In terms of tactics, you were never taught. I actually remember when Michael (O'Neill) came to Rovers, I learned a lot off him because he was a striker. Any manager I'd had before was a defender, and he gave me instruction about making runs and stuff.

"But everyone is into it here. You see the goalkeepers taking part in training games and they don't look out of place. They could probably fit anywhere into the team because they're so comfortable on the ball and rarely give it away. I've had to work on my ball retention as one small mistake here can cost a team."

From the outside, it would be easy to surmise that Amond has endured a frustrating spell. He has primarily been deployed as an impact sub, with his only start coming in the League Cup, an occasion he marked with his only goal to date from seven appearances.

However, a recent chat with coach Rui Vitoria put his mind at ease.

"They weren't expecting me to play as much as I had because there's such a massive difference here. It's a case of getting used to the way we play," he reasons.

"He told me that, at the moment, they're looking to the more experienced players, but I will get my chance later in the season. When I do, he expects me to take it and stay in the team."

For a lad who found it difficult living in Dublin when he was at Shamrock Rovers -- such was his desire to get back to Carlow whenever possible -- he is actually coping quite well being so far away.

"I probably was expecting to be a lot more homesick," he admits. "I am missing home, that's just natural. I'm a real family person. But things have been going well, sometimes we do double sessions and there's something to do every day. It's not that you are sitting around doing nothing."

Nevertheless, Amond is keen to keep in touch with events at home. He's recently joined the growing number of footballers on Twitter, offering a variety of opinions in addition to keeping up with developments on the 'old sod.'

The addictive computer game 'Football Manager' is another vice, although it has taken on a surreal twist as he locks horns on the pitch with those he knew only from virtual reality.

"When we played Benfica, it was a real 'Football Manager' moment," he laughs. "I came on for the last 10 to 15 minutes and I was playing against the likes of Pablo Aimar and Javier Saviola. They're probably players that everyone has signed in 'Football Manager.' It was a great moment, probably a bit scary in a way."

Aimar, the brilliant Argentinian playmaker, duly produced a goal that most could only dream about, waltzing past a plethora of Pacos opponents before dispatching with aplomb.

Tomorrow evening, Amond is hoping to encounter David Luiz, Porto's Brazilian-born defender who is a rumoured £20m target for Manchester City and Chelsea.

"You sort of pinch yourself, " he says. "Look, whatever happens, I'm just happy I have come out here and experienced this.

"Obviously you want to play at the highest level you can, and if this is the highest level I'll ever play at, then I've done my best.

"But if it's not, then you never know what could happen next."

Irish Independent

Edited by Jokerman - 18 Dec 2010 at 7:02am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic