You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Padraig Amond

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Padraig Amond
    Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 4:54pm

Padraig%20Amond%20at%20the%20press%20conference%20after%20signing%20for%20Pacos%20Ferreira

PADRAIG Amond will be a goldmine of knowledge for pub quiz aficionados one day.

You can see it now: “Who are the five Irish players to have played in the Portuguese Premier League?” (Phil Babb, Alan Mahon, Dominic Foley, Mickey Walsh and Padraig); “Who had the highest goal-scoring ratio in Sligo Rovers’ history?” and “Who was the first Carlow hurler and footballer to play against Porto, Benfica and Braga and Sporting Lisbon?”

There’ll be some head scratching at that quiz (unless it’s in Ballinabranna clubhouse).

For Padraig the move to Pacos Ferreira is the culmination of a life’s work. His parents Pat and Patty ferried him up to Dublin every weekend along with his brother John for Shamrock Rovers training sessions since he was 11.

Since then he’s had huge knocks. A cruciate knee ligament tear when he was 20, frozen out of a Rovers side under new management and the daunting trek to Sligo to restart a career.

12 months on and it’s an entirely different picture. 27 league appearances, 2085 minutes of action (thanks Pat), 17 league goals, six more in the cup and just two away from a 70-year club record what happened next was the first predictable thing in his career – the big boys came hunting his signature.

Derby manager Nigel Clough, son of the legendary Brian, was in the stands one night. Several other English clubs followed suite but when he scored two against Shamrock Rovers in front of the Pacos Ferreira representatives he was only going to one club. “It’s a lifetime in the making this move,” he said.

“To be able to share the pitch with the likes of Porto, Sporting Lisbon, Benfica and Braga who already beat Celtic and beat Sevilla last week. It’s a dream come true.

“It’s probably a bigger thing for my family because my Mam and Dad have put a lot in taking me up and down to Dublin for ten or 11 years and this is more for them than anyone else. Hopefully I can do myself justice out here and if that means I’m out here for longer than three years I’ll be happy with that.”

Making his debut last Friday night in a friendly (he can’t remember who was against), he received a huge ovation from the crowd.

“After training out here I’ve done a few press conferences so far. I think they think they’re after signing a superstar so they’ll be in for big shock when they see me on the pitch,” he laughed.

But on a serious note he realises this is another crossing point in his life. Do well and there’s more rewards to follow, fail and he’s back to Ireland.

“I’ll do the best I can do for Padraig Amond because at the end of the day it’s my career and it’s not a long one so you have to make as much money as you can. It sounds selfish but that’s the way football is. You have to work really hard when you have the chance, before you know it it’s gone.”

Living out of a hotel until the club finds a suitable apartment he is adjusting to the language and the weather. His future is in his hands and goals will open doors for him, a door to Giovanni Trapattoni’s team will be his ultimate goal.

“One of the things I looked at when I moved to Sligo was that I needed to be able to move away from home. If I couldn’t move away to Sligo I’d never manage anywhere else,” he said.

“This opportunity came at a time which didn’t suit Sligo Rovers but it was an opportunity I couldn’t turn down. I didn’t want to turn around in five years and say I wish I went to Portugal.

“It was a decision I knew in the bottom of my heart would be a good one. I’ve scored goals wherever I went and although I’d have liked to finish the season with Sligo with the cup final, a quarter-final and pushing for Europe in the league, it was not my fault the way the leagues go differently and obviously it’s going well when a Premier Portuguese club came in for me.

“There was interest from a few different places but there were people coming over every couple of weeks but when you’ve a concrete offer on the table, the only concrete offer, you have to look at it. I could have waited until the end of the season and a good few English clubs would have been in after me but realistically would I have been going to the Premiership?

“Probably not so a move to the Portuguese Premier league was too good to turn down rather than League 1 or League 2.

“There’s a lot of strikers here (seven) and I don’t see myself starting in the first game but obviously they have faith in me because they don’t buy players normally they try to sign players on loan from bigger clubs or get them for free so it was rare to spend money and it shows they want me.

“Whether that means I go straight into the first team squad who knows. I’ll give it my all and see where it takes me. This could be a massive stepping stone to Irish teams and Premier League who knows.”

With the foundation of a strong family and good friends backing him though he knows his best is all he can give. And that’s all he’s hoping to give.

“Everyone’s ambition is to be the best at what they do,” he said. “I’m never going to be a Cristiano Ronaldo and I know that but the hard work pays off. There are probably more players talented than me but dedication and being in the right place at the right time got me scoring goals and get further than others. Everyone wants to be the best.

“If this is the best I do then so be it, if I get to play for Ireland that’d be fantastic. It’s a dream but sometimes dreams come true. You just have to wait and see what happened.

“Hopefully this will be the start of things and I can keep my head down because I haven’t made it yet. I’ve to get out there and start scoring goals for myself and my family.”

Knowing his drive, he’s sure to give it his best and knowing Pat and Patty that’ll be good enough. Knowing John, Aaron, Jason and Dale though, he better score 50 this season!

Edited by Propagandhi® - 19 Sep 2010 at 2:00pm
Sponsored Links

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 4:58pm
Sounds like he has his head screwed on and great to see more and more lads testing themselves in other leagues.

Best of luck Padraig Thumbs%20Up
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by Propagandhi® Propagandhi® wrote:

.”Making his debut last Friday night in a friendly (he can’t remember who was against), he received a huge ovation from the crowd.

Wtf like?

Hope it works out for him but he has 6 strikers for competition, jaysus that'll be tough!!
Kingdom View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingdom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

.”Making his debut last Friday night in a friendly (he can’t remember who was against), he received a huge ovation from the crowd.

Wtf like?

Hope it works out for him but he has 6 strikers for competition, jaysus that'll be tough!!

To be fair to the lad, how many here would of heard of Pacos before? Chances are they were playing some non-league/regional side, so it's not that big of a surprise. Wink

Delighted for him, and it's good to see young lads making the leap into the unknown somewhat rather than praying for the meat market of League1/2. Funny thing is, I reckon a lot of our players would be more suited to playing continental football.
Guf10 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
...fond of the jar.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guf10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 6:48pm
Bit Risky Going Over There in my Opinion

Hope he does well though

Best Of luck PadraigThumbs%20Up
2 in a row, 2 in a row, 2 in a row

Propagandhi® View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 6:50pm
I hope this works out for Padraig better than it did for Ian Daly. If he flops, he risks moving off the radar. Nothing to lose I s'pose.

Edited by Propagandhi® - 08 Sep 2010 at 6:50pm
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 6:54am

Introducing Padraig Amond

Pacos de Ferreira bring promising Irish marksman to Portugal

Padraig%20AmondMany eyebrows were raised on transfer deadline day as Pacos de Ferreira completed the signing of a highly reputed Irish striker. So who is Padraig Amond?

Pacos de Ferreira’s new Irish striker is likely to be an unknown quantity to many devotees of the Portuguese game. The very fact that Padraig Amond will now be plying his trade in the Liga ZON Sagres sends one clear message however; he is not your average footballer.

At least, he’s not your average Irish footballer. Players from Ireland, and indeed Britain, have long been notorious for their insular desire to never venture from their own shores, unless for a brief holiday and a chance to confirm the rumours that, in other countries, sunshine isn’t a bicentennial occurrence. 

The now-former Sligo Rovers striker has made a bold and admirable move by setting sail in search of a fresh challenge. He now forms a triumvirate of Irish players who have set out to break the mould this summer. Ireland senior squad members Cillian Sheridan and Aiden McGeady have recently moved to CSKA Sofia and Spartak Moscow respectively. It’s an encouraging trend which one hopes will continue and develop. 

Goal machine

At present, Amond is the leading goalscorer in the Airtricity League, Ireland’s top tier football league. At roughly the half-way point in the season, the 22-year-old has notched 17 goals for Sligo, an impressive tally considering Rovers’ mid-table position. This was also Amond’s first season at the club, having left title-candidates and last year’s runners-up, Shamrock Rovers, after the 2009 season.

One of the brightest young talents in the league, Amond is a natural goalscorer who made his debut in the league aged just 18, in 2006. His reputation as a top marksman grew as he managed 11 senior goals for Shamrock Rovers, including a crucial goal against fierce rivals, Bohemians, to send his side top of the table. 

Pacos fans can expect a talented, hungry striker who has scored goals everywhere he has been and, at such a tender age, has got massive potential. Amond continues to improve each year and could soon mature into a fine player. Stepping out of his comfort zone by moving abroad also displays a commitment which I expect will manifest itself on the pitch to the delight of Os Pacenses. 

Amond has been capped four times at under-21 level for the Republic of Ireland, the first of which came in 2008.
by Dean Hayes
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 7:00am
If he wants to impress Trap he should bring his miss's along!
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
The Drifter View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Drifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 7:21am
delighted for the lad, hope it works out. great to see more players playing in other leagues in europe. btw, where is ian daly at now??
My dream has always been to play for the Republic of Ireland - James McClean.
billybob View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billybob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 7:23am
Originally posted by CPS89 CPS89 wrote:

delighted for the lad, hope it works out. great to see more players playing in other leagues in europe. btw, where is ian daly at now??

He's in Spain in Cadiz.

Hope it works out for Podge but wouldn't be surprised either to see him back at Rovers within a year or two.
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel
The Drifter View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Drifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 7:41am
oh ye that's where daly went, they're in like the equivalent of league 2, not a good move for the lad haha

Edited by CPS89 - 09 Sep 2010 at 7:41am
My dream has always been to play for the Republic of Ireland - James McClean.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 7:50am
what was the signing fee?

Hope he becomes the Portugeses bargain version of Kevin Doyle..
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 8:09am
I think he will do well!
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 10:16am
On the bench today against Maritimo.
WindBag View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Makes great Pancakes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WindBag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 5:45pm
drew 1-1, didn't play at all
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 12:22pm
Amond is on the bench again today.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 12:24pm

He must be going nuts
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
The Saint View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

He must be going nuts

nah its his bird in nuts
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic