Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Padraig Amond

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Long has been undroppable for Ireland for years now, very rarely does he not start in competitive matches for us despite offering absolutely zero goal threat.

Shane Long has been incredibly lucky career wise, extremely limited player techincally who heavily relied on work rate and pace to get to where he is today. He is no more than an average Championship player in truth but is on a massive contract at St Mary's so they'll find it hard to move him on.

We already know Long won't score so why persist with him? We will beat Gibraltar regardless, that is a formality why not give Collins or Amond a start?

Will probably be our top scorer in the campaign now after saying that LOL
Sponsored Links

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by mandrake mandrake wrote:

I like the idea of almond playing against Gibraltar they are a division 2 team or less... we should hammer them, but mick cant risk it... so long or Maguire will start 

Where is the risk?

Amond has scored against Spurs, City and Leicester to name but a few (Boro also) and is scoring for fun against League 2 sides which would probably be operating on a par if not higher than the likes of Gibraltar.

The winning or losing of this game won't come down to starting Amond over Long LOL

Edited by Green Devil - 07 Mar 2019 at 2:24pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Long has been undroppable for Ireland for years now, very rarely does he not start in competitive matches for us despite offering absolutely zero goal threat.

Shane Long has been incredibly lucky career wise, extremely limited player techincally who heavily relied on work rate and pace to get to where he is today. He is no more than an average Championship player in truth but is on a massive contract at St Mary's so they'll find it hard to move him on.

We already know Long won't score so why persist with him? We will beat Gibraltar regardless, that is a formality why not give Collins or Amond a start?

Aye, he'll probably score 4 goals against Gibraltar the first game and 1 for the remainder of the campaign DeadLOL
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 2:27pm
He has looked decent against good teams, I watched him against Leicester and he was excellent. Mick has called him up based on those performances to assess him. He might show nothing in training and never be heard of again.

What is encouraging is that we have a manager who is willing to look outside the usual cut-off point of the Championship. I felt Maguire and Towell deserved caps when they were in the LOI and Stevens ehen he was in League 2, as they all played in areas where we were lacking quality. We need to start looking at all options as the size our playing pool gets smaller and smaller.
We have had a long list of managers who have waited until a player plays in the Championship to get picked, which is quite lazy. This is encouraging, even if the necessity behind it isn't!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 2:28pm

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Aye, he'll probably score 4 goals against Gibraltar the first game and 1 for the remainder of the campaign DeadLOL
Long wouldn't score 4 in a season in Gibraltar.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Guppy Guppy wrote:

Amond is an out and out finisher (from playing with him/against him) and seeing his career pan out since we were kids, he is very much in the mould of Robbie Keane in that if you give him a sniff in front of goal he'll score.

One of the main reason's he hasn't reached the Championship/PL is that he lacks genuine pace (obviously you can factor in how good techincally players in the leagues mentioned are)

I would have no doubts, seeing him start against Gibraltar (Georgia might be a level up too far for him) but who knows.

We need clinical strikers against Gibraltar, not battering rams like Long.

Gibraltar is Mick’s only chance to experiment with the team and you’re suggesting we start Amond. Come on. I could score against Gibraltar. We need to start our strongest side, with Micks influence on it. To prepare for the much much harder tests that await. 

We need to find a pathway to having Coleman and Doherty in the same 11, before we worry about starting League 2 strikers who are in their 30s. I could genuinely make an argument if he was 21, like Ronan Curtis but he’s not and it’s merely a wasted argument. 

Is that not a contradiction in itself there.

Why do we need to play our strongest side against cannonfodder?

Especially when we know what the likes of Long, McGeady, Whelan etc can all do?

Gibraltar is the perfect opportunity to blood inexperienced players.

That doesn't have to Amond, but Curtis, Stevens, Browne etc
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 2:30pm
we wont be hammering gibraltar away from home. i expect a dogged display, maybe 2-0 in the end.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 4:04pm
Podge Amond Clap
Sullivinho View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sullivinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 4:15pm
A glorious new era.
Tony Cousins View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Cousins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 4:18pm

Most here couldn’t point out Newport on a map of Wales, never mind Britain.

It would be in the same place on both maps.
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by Tony Cousins Tony Cousins wrote:

LOL
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 4:30pm

LOL
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 4:31pm

LOL
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 7:32pm
LOLLOLLOLThat’s brilliant 
ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 7:37pm
I think plenty will know where Newport is after our recent Cardiff trips ! Kip.com 
gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 8:25pm
Listening to Talksport pronounce his name he sounds French......is he French? sounds exotic

Padraig Amauuuuund
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 5:39am

LOL

As mentioned, he's scored in some huge games against some of the EPL's biggest clubs, who else in the squad can say the same. From looking at the squad, he'll be one of the first cut, so what's the problem.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 4:55pm
Playing in the L2 playoff final at the moment.

Mark O'Brien captained Newport but has been sent off, wasn't having a good game.
We're decent enough..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
  Share Topic