Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Richie Towell - Puns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 44>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Stillhuntinghenry Stillhuntinghenry wrote:

Towell didn't fail to make the grade in Scotland iirc he played most of the season with hibs then decided to come home

Ps hoban was nevr at the level of Horgan and towell

Couldn't get anywhere near the Celtic team, started off appearing regularly at Hibs but became a bit-part player when Fenlon took over. He certainly didn't set the world alight in a very average SPL. He does seemed to have developed his playing style a lot since those days admittedly, he was a right-back/orthodox midfielder then, whereas now he's very much an attack-minded player.
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 12:53pm
Towell is not moving for the sake of it - he turned Blackpool down and won't do trials. If a move worth taking comes along he will take it. If not he will stay.

As for what he can add to the Irish setup, we are so light in the position calling him up to train seems a no brainer.
johnvonp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnvonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 1:11pm
I wonder why it didn't work out for him at Cardiff
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Towell is not moving for the sake of it - he turned Blackpool down and won't do trials. If a move worth taking comes along he will take it. If not he will stay.

As for what he can add to the Irish setup, we are so light in the position calling him up to train seems a no brainer.

That's why he did a trial at Cardiff last year I suppose? If he's now decided to refuse trials that's an utterly pigheaded and counterproductive attitude. He isn't Zlatan, if he wants a move to a Championship team he's going to have to prove to them he's worth their time, and part of that process will often be training with them beforehand to see if he can handle the higher quality of player around him.
We're decent enough..
engpad View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote engpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

That's why he did a trial at Cardiff last year I suppose? If he's now decided to refuse trials that's an utterly pigheaded and counterproductive attitude. He isn't Zlatan, if he wants a move to a Championship team he's going to have to prove to them he's worth their time, and part of that process will often be training with them beforehand to see if he can handle the higher quality of player around him.

As Richie has said himself, he's played plenty of matches this year so if clubs want to see him play they've had plenty of chances. 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 1:31pm
wonder what sort of money is he on now at dundalk? whatever it is if he stays it will have to go up if he is to stay. 1500-2000 on the table maybe??
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Not pig headed at all. Has played enough for any prospective club to see what he has to offer. He is possibly the leagues top player. If he went on trial then there are many downsides, including if the manager didn't fancy him it'd give other clubs a negative vibe, also the club would hold all the cards from a negotiation stand point.
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 2:12pm
This may surprise you, but being the top player in the LOI isn't going to be enough to impress most managers. Trials are a normal and sensible part of making your way up the footballing ladder, to categorically reject the idea of going on trial not only sends out a bad message about your attitude, it damages your career prospects too. He might think he's making some sort of stand, but the only person's chances that he's hurting are his own. The last team I saw to be linked with Towell's services were the mighty Bristol Rovers. If he wants to do better than that, I'd humbly suggest that making himself available to go on trials might actually benefit him in the long run.
We're decent enough..
erimus View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erimus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 2:16pm
pretty sure he said he will do trials for champ/epl teams and not for league 1/2 teams
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016
Stimpy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stimpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 2:40pm
Would be a shame to see Towell dry out in the LOI
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 4:00pm
Just reading his interview today in the indo.
It seems he's more than happy to stay with Dundalk.
"We're going to enjoy tonight and another couple of days and then we'll probably - hopefully-sort something out"

Regarding the long LOI off season -
"It's a very frustrating time for any League of Ireland player but it's something I'm going to have to get used to if I'm going to stay"

"A lot of people think the lifestyle over there (UK) is better than what it is, and its a bit of a myth. You can go over there and be unhappy and it's not what it's made out to be."

I wouldn't be surprised if there a 2k+ deal with a healthy goal bonus on the table. Fyffes are already heavily subsidising his wages so an extra few hundred a week from them plus Dundalk will have made close to a million euro from Europe over the past 2 seasons.
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 10:02pm
Has been the standout player in the league for me over the past few years. I'd be surprised if he didn't end up having a decent career at championship level in England and going on to play for the national team eventually, but at the moment I'm not sure if I'd have him in the squad. 

Probably deserves an opportunity to be in the squad for a friendly but it will be a massive step up from LoI to international football, would probably need to see him playing at a higher level more regularly before he's seriously worthy of a place in the squad.
Dev View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 10:47pm
He is more worthy of a squad place than paul green.
saintjoey View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintjoey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 10:53pm
Towell has turned down clubs in England only last year, he's not gonna go for the sake of it! As a pats fan I hope he gets a move that's right for him this winter and stops terrorising the rest of us
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 11:32pm
I think he should stay where he is

Edited by Shoco - 09 Nov 2015 at 11:32pm

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2015 at 8:56pm
On off the ball now
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2015 at 8:59pm
I thought they banned Towelling off the ball after that Delap incident
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 3:52pm
Listened to him on off the ball there and I can totally get why he is content at Dundalk and not willing to go on trials to clubs at the lower end of the English league.
He's in the process of buying a gaf and his missus is pregnant so it wouldn't be so appealing going over on trial to lower level clubs like he is some young lad starting out. If something decent is put in front of him then I am sure he will look at it but otherwise it seems he's rolling ahead with plans to remain at Dundalk.

Also I think he should definitely be named in the larger Irish squad. there probably should always be a token player from the league included in the squad but I think Towell has done enough to join up with the squad on merit and at least train with them.

Edited by t_rAndy - 11 Nov 2015 at 3:54pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 44>
  Share Topic