You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Richie Towell - Puns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 44>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Richie Towell - Puns
    Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 6:13am

Richie Towell believes tonight�s Under-21 match against Turkey [kick-off 4pm Irish time] is a chance for younger players to show what they can do at this level.

Towell is one of several players to have been promoted from the Under-19s into the higher age group, and it is this group of players who will hope to form the backbone of the Under-21 squad for the next campaign, which will begin in March 2011.

With the squad having been decimated through injury and suspension � ten players have had to withdraw from the original squad � the younger players are receiving a head start in their Under-21 careers.

Towell played the full 90 minutes against Switzerland last Friday night, occupying a midfield slot along side Conor Clifford and Conor Hourihane. The midfield trio, who are all eligible for the next Under-21 campaign, played at Under-19 level together. Indeed, Towell and Clifford were midfield partners at Crumlin United together prior being snapped-up by Celtic and Chelsea respectively.

�There are a few of us who have come up through the ranks together and we�re now in the Under-21s together,� he said. �Hopefully this is another stepping stone for us. These two games will give us a bit of experience at this level and hopefully in the next campaign we can have a really strong Under-21 team.

�It was my first game for the Under-21s and I was happy with how I played. The manager was delighted with our overall performance so I thought it went very well, aside from the result.

�I haven�t played in midfield for Ireland for a while because I played most of the last campaign at full-back so it was good to get back into centre-midfield because that is my preferred position. You�re more involved in the game in midfield � getting on the ball, getting forward, creating chances, putting in tackles and generally influencing the game more.�

Despite an impressive performance Ireland went down 1-0 to Switzerland. Temporary manager Wim Koevermans believes that Ireland should have had the game wrapped-up in the first half, when they created eight goal scoring opportunities, and Towell agrees with that assessment.

�We absolutely battered them in the first half,� he said. �We created so many chances and I think that if we had taken one or two of them they would have died down a lot. But we didn�t take the chances and as a result they grew in the second half.

�We still played well but maybe we got a little bit tired from having played so well in the first half. I think we were still the better team; they didn�t get many chances but unfortunately they took one of them. Against Turkey we�re going to have to be more clinical in front of goal.�

Having joined Celtic four years ago, Towell is now close to making the breakthrough into the first team. He has been named on the bench this season and is hoping to get a place in the starting XI soon.

�I�ve been on the bench in most of the matches this season, including the Europa League game, and I also played a pre-season friendly against Blackburn Rovers,� he said. �It�s going well for me. I just have to keep impressing Neil Lennon and hopefully he likes what he sees. Coming away with the Under-21s is another stepping stone and it shows that I can play at this level. I�m at Celtic four years so I think it�s time I started to make my breakthrough.

�I want to stay at the club and fight for my position. I�m training with the first team every day and that can only be good for me. Although I�d like to play in the first team, I am still getting reserves matches every week. I�m in the first team squad now so it�s just a matter of trying to push on and get into the team.�

Edited by nvidic - 21 Feb 2018 at 2:00pm
Sponsored Links

Jokerman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jokerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 10:39am
Towell came on for Celtic today in the 57th minute.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2010 at 1:11am
Originally posted by Jokerman Jokerman wrote:

Towell came on for Celtic today in the 57th minute.

Anyone know how the Dub played ?
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Beavis View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2010 at 7:20am

Towelie for Ireland !
<insert witty comment>
Jokerman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jokerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 12:03pm

Towell wins Celtic praise and key role

Wednesday December 01 2010

CELTIC manager Neil Lennon has predicted more first-team action for Irish youngster Richie Towell after his impressive debut for the Bhoys last weekend.

Dubliner Towell came off the bench to make his first appearance for Celtic in Saturday's 2-2 draw with Inverness Caledonian Thistle and Lennon hopes to see Towell in the side more often.

"I thought Richie did great against Inverness," Lennon said. "I thought he was one of the bright sparks of the day. He had an abundance of energy, was good at winning the ball back and passed well throughout.

"He was also involved in Paddy McCourt's goal, which was our second. He has no reason to be critical of himself because he did exactly what we asked him to do and he can feel proud of himself.

"I would like to think that he would be involved more and more as the season progresses. We have been pretty pleased with how he has done in the last year. His level of performance has been consistent.

"We have a few players out at the moment and that maybe helped him get his chance at the weekend but, regardless of that, I am sure he will feature more and more as the season progresses."

Edited by Jokerman - 02 Dec 2010 at 12:03pm
Jokerman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jokerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 12:07pm

Towell intent on becoming a regular at Celtic

By Lisa Gray

Thursday December 02 2010

Irish youngster Richie Towell has told Celtic boss Neil Lennon he has plenty more to offer after finally making his competitive debut for the club at the weekend.

And the 19-year-old former Crumlin United midfielder has urged the Hoops boss to have faith in him as he bids to cement his place in the team in the weeks ahead.

Towell has been on the bench for 12 of Celtic's 15 Scottish Premier League games this season and finally made the breakthrough as a second-half substitute in Saturday's draw with Inverness.

"I hadn't played in the SPL before so I'm not sure how I will fare in the team but hopefully I can get a few more games under my belt and do well," he said.

"I'm a good passer of the ball and I feel I can bring a lot to the team if I get my chance, so hopefully the gaffer can put a bit of faith in me and I can show what I can do.

"I hope the fans take a liking to me too because I work hard for the team.

"I like to play in central midfield the most but it doesn't really matter where I play because once I'm on the pitch, I don't care."

relished

Towell, who came through Celtic's Youth Academy, was handed his bow when he replaced Jos Hooiveld with just over half an hour to go and says he relished every moment.

"It was brilliant hearing the crowd's reaction and being in the middle of it all. It's what I've always dreamed of," he said. "It's been frustrating sitting on the bench all season and that's why I was so delighted to come on.

"I just want to show that I can compete at this level and hopefully the gaffer will give me another chance because I don't like sitting on the bench -- I want to play every week.

"I thought the fans reacted well to me and I was pleased with how I did when I came on.

"I kept the ball and then I won the tackle for Paddy's (McCourt) goal, so they were all cheering for that."

Towell hopes to be involved again when Celtic travel to Aberdeen this weekend, for what is a crucial game for the Hoops as they try to keep in touch with rivals Rangers at the summit of the SPL.

"We've dropped four points in the last two games so the Aberdeen game is massive. We have to get points back on the board. It's vital we get back on track and get a victory on Saturday," Towell added.

- Lisa Gray

Irish Independent

Wearside Bhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wearside Bhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 1:57am
There an article on Ritchie Towell in this weeks Celtic Viiew.
TJ Doyles,Sunderland probably the best Irish pub in the world.
davekoolhill View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davekoolhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 5:36am
Is he good? Trap will keep clear of SPL players if possible.
Twitter: DaveOGrady1
engpad View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote engpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 3:36pm
LOI fans, how good is this fella? Speaking to people who have been watching him regularly and they're telling me he's been the standout player in the LOI this year. 

Anyone able to comment further upon him? 
Snowie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by engpad engpad wrote:

LOI fans, how good is this fella? Speaking to people who have been watching him regularly and they're telling me he's been the standout player in the LOI this year. 

Anyone able to comment further upon him? 

As a Bohs fan, I saw him a few weeks back when Dundalk came to town, the chap is absolutly class. Scored a screamer and really ran the show!

FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 4:13pm
He's an excellent player, no reason he can't still make a decent living as a full time professional.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Dunne23 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunne23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 4:39pm
Is he playing as a cm now?
Stillhuntinghenry View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

useless at posting links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stillhuntinghenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 4:44pm
I think it was his choice to come home from hibs rather than other way around. Definitely good enough for the championship. Classy player
"Not one cent" - RTID on Mark Quigley's pay-off from Shamrock
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 4:59pm
I heard he was playing AUL before he joined Dundalk.

What were his reasons for returning home to Ireland?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
deise View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 5:00pm
good player well able for english league
saintjoey View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintjoey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 6:21pm
Fell out with Fenlan I heard
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 7:00pm
Couldn't do it against Bray!

Seen him a good few times though and usually best player on the pitch by a good bit
engpad View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote engpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 9:09pm
Saw a lot more coverage on him following his two goals in Europe for Dundalk. Is it inconceivable to mention him in regards to building towards the Euros? Much word on him staying in LOI or heading abroad again?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 44>
  Share Topic