You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

John Egan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 48>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 12:53pm
Clark will surely start. With egan now out it seems highly unlikely that Kenny would axe Duffy from the centre-back pairing. Getting less optimistic by the day given the players available to us (and the form of those players)
Sponsored Links

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 12:56pm
Yep, Duffy/Clark would seem the obvious choice.
A ballsy choice would be to star Clark/O'Shea but I fear Kenny's Achilles could be his over-reliance on players who are in poor form - we shall see what midfield trio he picks which will tell us a lot about that too.

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Yep, Duffy/Clark would seem the obvious choice.
A ballsy choice would be to star Clark/O'Shea but I fear Kenny's Achilles could be his over-reliance on players who are in poor form - we shall see what midfield trio he picks which will tell us a lot about that too.

Agree on the ballsy choice. Would say that his midfield choice will be the defining choice he makes though. 

Kenny must be acutely aware that a loss to Serbia in game 1 puts us in a terrible up hill battle. 

The traditionally pragmatic choice of starting the likes of Duffy Hendrick McCarthy in a "tough away game", I feel will unfortunately definitely not lead to a win, and everything just points to a loss. 

So many regulars in poor form and certain players just not suited to the system means the idea of playing "safe" options might be anything but. 
DalyerRegular View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DalyerRegular Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 1:29pm
Recall for Keogh?
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by DalyerRegular DalyerRegular wrote:

Recall for Keogh?

Would be my inclination. It is a world cup qualifier away from home. I would be less inclined to take risks in defence. Him and Clark would be the smartest play. But I am pretty sure it will be Duffy and Clark.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 1:34pm

Recall for Keogh?

Huddersfield are in awful form ATM and Keogh would be part of the reason for that. Their defense is ramshackle stuff.

I'd have Clark, Long, O'Shea and Duffy ahead of him. Lenihan if we were in a pinch.

We need to get away from this business of calling up players of that age anyways once they've been phased out of the side [whether for on the pitch or off the pitch reasons].

Similarly, bringing Whelan back hurt us in the last campaign, and I think bringing McGeady back in this campaign would just make us even more ponderous and slow in the final third.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

Recall for Keogh?

Would be my inclination. It is a world cup qualifier away from home. I would be less inclined to take risks in defence. Him and Clark would be the smartest play. But I am pretty sure it will be Duffy and Clark.

The thing is under this new management, what's considered more of a risk?

Duffy has all the experience leadership qualities needed for a game like this, but he is incompatible with how Kenny wants to play. (leaving aside his shocking club form)

Dara O'Shea for example obviously lacks the necessary experience but has the qualities that Kenny would desire in a centre-back.

If O'Shea had Clark next to him I would have no issues as I think Clark is more than experienced.

I think the old way of reasoning under the previous 3 managers made sense when it came to choosing certain players. But we can no longer trot out the old "experience" line if they fundamentally don't suit the system.

All the experience in the world isn't going to make a difference if you struggle to hold onto the ball for more than a few of seconds without losing it or lump it up the field in a panic (usually because another "experienced" midfielder isn't helping you out looking for the ball).

There is a slight chance that we can make Duffy work, but it's only going to happen if we have a sitting midfielder who is constantly going to come looking for the ball and always be an outlet for Duffy and the other central defender.

If you isolate Duffy and leave him on his own you reap the consequences.

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 2:17pm

Surely a back four of the below is our strongest available lineup?

Coleman Long Clarke Stevens 

Midfield should see two holding players for the Serbia game.
I would hope for mccarthy and cullen but probably unlikely 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 2:28pm
I can't see Clark playing the Serbia game.
The way things stand at the moment, It will be Duffy and O'Shea with Stevens at left back.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I'd agree about Cullen. but if you're gonna be playing two holding midfielders your advance midfielder would want to be Wes hoolahan in his pomp. 

Whoever is playing the advanced role is gonna have to do an awful lot of creative work and an awful lot of pulling of the strings in midfield. I don't see that one player who has that ability to do it themselves.

I think we just have to go at 1 sitter and 2 in front...

Cullen (sitter)
Knight (box to box energy)
Hourihane (advanced) ... Maybe Browne. But remain unconvinced. Bottom line we need somebody more creative than either of those two. 

It's the same old issue with Ireland, we're just lacking that consistent creative force in the final third. 
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I would be happy enough with that. I think Since Coleman has been playing further forward for Everton on occasion now and doing really well when I have seen him we should play him there for Ireland. Right midfield is our weakest position and I like the idea of Connolly playing higher wide left on the other side and getting him on the ball as much as possible. We are shocking playing through the middle and I think focusing most of our play out wide and getting it there fast would serve us well with the ball. Hendrick, Hourihane Brady etc are actually ok in the final third in and around the box they just don't know how to get it there Sleepy 
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

Recall for Keogh?

The thing is under this new management, what's considered more of a risk?

Duffy has all the experience leadership qualities needed for a game like this, but he is incompatible with how Kenny wants to play. (leaving aside his shocking club form)

Dara O'Shea for example obviously lacks the necessary experience but has the qualities that Kenny would desire in a centre-back.

If O'Shea had Clark next to him I would have no issues as I think Clark is more than experienced.

I think the old way of reasoning under the previous 3 managers made sense when it came to choosing certain players. But we can no longer trot out the old "experience" line if they fundamentally don't suit the system.

All the experience in the world isn't going to make a difference if you struggle to hold onto the ball for more than a few of seconds without losing it or lump it up the field in a panic (usually because another "experienced" midfielder isn't helping you out looking for the ball).

There is a slight chance that we can make Duffy work, but it's only going to happen if we have a sitting midfielder who is constantly going to come looking for the ball and always be an outlet for Duffy and the other central defender.

If you isolate Duffy and leave him on his own you reap the consequences.

I think Duffy is a big risk. His head is gone like
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 2:50pm
A bit like how Covid is gonna get worse in late March and April and then improve a lot for Summer, Ireland could be in a major doldrum in March and...er....improve after Summer?

I expect a loss in Belgrade and a win home to Lux.
Then the home match v Serbia is huge, but we could be beyond 2nd place by the time that swings around.
Could be a blessing we then have no matches until the new season.

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 2:54pm
the thing is even if you're being optimistic it's not like we've had the same exact first 11 for last 8 games and they'll eventually click next month.

next month looks like a another mishmash of players who probably haven't played with each other. 

The only thing you can possibly hope for is that Kenny puts out a team that clicks not out of design, but purely based on the players he has available. His luck may turn purely by necessity to start certain players. 
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

the thing is even if you're being optimistic it's not like we've had the same exact first 11 for last 8 games and they'll eventually click next month.

next month looks like a another mishmash of players who probably haven't played with each other. 

The only thing you can possibly hope for is that Kenny puts out a team that clicks not out of design, but purely based on the players he has available. His luck may turn purely by necessity to start certain players. 
We had as close to a full team against Slovakia with the exceptions of Connolly, Idah and Coleman who all could start in Serbia. That was the best performance under Kenny so far. The camp was then terrible hit by Covid and we had something like 13 players not involved for the Wales game 3 days later and I’m sure most would agree we absolutely deserved the draw having been the better team and were pushing for a winner until McClean got sent off. 
Serbia hadn’t even a manager a few days ago, possibly still don’t, so for all the doom and gloom there is surrounding the team neither us or Serbia are in great places. It’s international football after all the team can only click to a certain extent with the lack of time a manager has to prepare the squad before games.
 Realistically our team is at a level where there’s not a huge difference if we have 1/2 starters missing. Would Clark for Egan, Coleman for Doherty, Knight for Molumby make a huge difference? Probably not really. The nature of international football with players going back to there clubs for a few months at a time much can change.
ripbomb View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 6:02pm
[QUOTE=horsebox]I can't see Clark playing the Serbia game.
The way things stand at the moment, It will be Duffy and O'Shea with Stevens at left back.

[/QUOTE Clark should be first choice central defender... just an issue to put in with him. I would give Duffy benefit of the doubt
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by ripbomb ripbomb wrote:

[/QUOTE Clark should be first choice central defender... just an issue to put in with him. I would give Duffy benefit of the doubt

Possibly - 
But he wasn't available for Kenny's 8 games. So he's down the pecking order and we have a lot of cover in this area. 

And he's just as liable to make a game changing mistake as any of the others.

I'd more worried about our midfield and forward selection.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by ripbomb ripbomb wrote:

Possibly - 
But he wasn't available for Kenny's 8 games. So he's down the pecking order and we have a lot of cover in this area. 

And he's just as liable to make a game changing mistake as any of the others.

I'd more worried about our midfield and forward selection.

Was just gonna make this point. It's the one area of the pitch that we are relatively strong in squad wise. Egan is one of our best defenders so he's still a loss all the same. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 48>
  Share Topic