Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

John Egan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839 48>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 11:39pm
Long shot but if we had a couple of more withdrawals there may be a call up for Rochdale's Eoghan O'Connell
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Sponsored Links

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Long shot but if we had a couple of more withdrawals there may be a call up for Rochdale's Eoghan O'Connell

He's barely ever fit. You wouldn't be able to build a defense around him.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 11:57pm

Your right that is a long shot. Very very long
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 12:02am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Ah not really, if Duffy Clarke Long Lenihan Dunne O'Shea Doherty Keogh were to join Egan Masterson and Collins getting crocked he's up. 

Edited by Scissors Kick - 16 Feb 2021 at 12:03am
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 12:04am
Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Ah not really, if Duffy Clarke Long Lenihan Dunne O'Shea Doherty Keogh were to join Egan Masterson and Collins getting crocked he's up. 

Is duffy behind them all now???? Some fall LOL
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 1:32am
The way we have 3 CBs gone down the swanny in one weekend who bloody knows.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 8:47am
Look we have players who can slot into the centre backs , now if we lost one of our strikers we would be in trouble Embarrassed
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Englishborn View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Britishborn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Englishborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 10:25am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by Englishborn Englishborn wrote:

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

Richard Keogh is in decent form too. Might not be bad to have him around? 

I'd still have Duffy, Clark, Long and O'Shea ahead of him. Lenihan's a good age as well and has marshaled Blackburn to within touching distance of the playoff positions again.
Thats not true. Hes been atrocious in alot of games.  As  a Blackburn fan, the defence has been all over the place.  The defending against Preston last Friday was laughable.  Blackburn are nowhere near the playoffs as they go on a bad run time and time again 

He had one relatively brief bad run. He's also had about three or four different partners at CB due to a litany of injuries. He was linked with Sheffield United when they got promoted so he's clearly well regarded at that level.

True hes had two teenage centrebacks alongside him but Blackburn defence is a bombscare 
johnvonp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnvonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 10:41am
How about Doherty at CB? He looked very assured when he played there for us recently.

Regardless, i'm confident that Kevin Long can do a job if called upon

It's Duffy I'd be worried about

Edited by johnvonp - 16 Feb 2021 at 10:43am
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 11:26am
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

It's a bit of a dilemma now for Kenny I suppose alright. It was easier to drop Duffy if you were bringing in someone alongside Egan and Egan alongside Clark as a pairing seemed to make sense. Now he has to either change both his previous first choice centre backs for Serbia or else stick with a woefully out of form Duffy who doesn't suit his system anyway.

Kenny is certainly not getting any breaks since he got the senior job. But I do think he needs to be judged more on performances than qualification in this group. We will almost certainly finish third, it's how we do it that matters in terms of Kenny getting to stay on for a shot at the Euros next time.

It’s clear now Duffy is going to start and Kenny is going to have to adapt his system with him in it especially first day out.

Kenny doesn't ever really adapt his system though, he expects his players to adapt to it. I don't think we'll see any sense of pragmatism to take account of Duffy, if he is indeed selected. Duffy will be expected to do things he is unable to do competently and his strengths will be nullified by Kenny's style of play.

Which is why I think he should take the chance and play Clark and O'Shea. Both very comfortable on the ball and o'shea is going to have to be thrown in at some stage, might as well bite the bullet and do it now if Egan is out.

He'll be criticised less if he plays O'Shea and we lose than if we play Duffy and we lose. He can at least hang an o'shea selection on development of the team.
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 4:07pm
Just what is Kenny's 'system'? I find myself still at a loss.

And are we really so good that we can afford to choose a 'system' before finding the players to play within it?

I'm not sure even Hand and Charlton had that luxury when we had the best group of players available to us of all time...
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Just what is Kenny's 'system'? I find myself still at a loss.

And are we really so good that we can afford to choose a 'system' before finding the players to play within it?

I'm not sure even Hand and Charlton had that luxury when we had the best group of players available to us of all time...

System is the wrong word. Ethos would be closer. A system is something that develops over time as an amalgamation of the players and ethos you have. 

Saying you want to have a possession based team is not a system. It's a broad stroke of a description. i.e. we want to inflict our game on the opposition. We want to be proactive to opportunity rather than reactive to mistakes in the opposition. We want to be in control of our own destiny... and when done well...

Playing a direct/long game for better or worse is playing the percentages. There's a throw of the dice about it...but equally, when done well... (Which Charlton did. He knew exactly how to play direct football and how to press)

Even after Kenny's first match you knew his ethos, but he'll have to be given at least these qualifiers to establish his system.

By the time his last qualifying match finishes everyone will know whether we're on the right track or whether Kenny has to go. 
DublinScouse1916 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DublinScouse1916 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 11:30am
Out for 8 weeks
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 11:31am
Dislocated toe apparently 8 weeks out
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 11:49am
That's that for March so.
CH pairings selected from Duffy, Clark, O'Shea, Long.  That it?

Stimpy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stimpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

That's that for March so.
CH pairings selected from Duffy, Clark, O'Shea, Long.  That it?

Lenihan too 
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 12:31pm
Jimmy Dunne but he isint playing much atm
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

Dislocated toe apparently 8 weeks out

Kinda pleased that it's just a dislocated toe rather that anything ligament related to be honest.

He'll make a full recovery from the toe at least.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839 48>
  Share Topic