You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

John Egan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 48>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 9:57pm
Good again tonight,  Steven's and mcgoldrick were bit quieter in a game liverpool dominated 
Sponsored Links

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Probably irelands three best players so far this season in Egan, Stevens and mcgoldrick start again today.

Robinson seems to be overlooked recently for united, will hopefully get more game time this half of the season.

I really hope they all stay at Sheffield United long term, you can't put a price on playing week in week out and it benefits our national team no end.

Add in the likes of Cullen, Molumby, Knight, Connolly etc all being regulars for their clubs and certainly more to come from Idah, Parrott, Obafemi etc it's vital we have established PL regulars taking these lads under their wing and being able to guide them along during games when these players get a proper chance at international level.

Gone should be the days when we had regulars starting for Ireland that were not getting any game at club level to a point, which used to be the case at times under ex managers.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Probably irelands three best players so far this season in Egan, Stevens and mcgoldrick start again today.

Robinson seems to be overlooked recently for united, will hopefully get more game time this half of the season.

I really hope they all stay at Sheffield United long term, you can't put a price on playing week in week out and it benefits our national team no end.

Add in the likes of Cullen, Molumby, Knight, Connolly etc all being regulars for their clubs and certainly more to come from Idah, Parrott, Obafemi etc it's vital we have established PL regulars taking these lads under their wing and being able to guide them along during games when these players get a proper chance at international level.

Gone should be the days when we had regulars starting for Ireland that were not getting any game at club level to a point, which used to be the case at times under ex managers.

Spot on GD.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
footballman View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote footballman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 11:08pm
Thought he looked very dodgy for Sheffield United tonight
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by footballman footballman wrote:

Thought he looked very dodgy for Sheffield United tonight
He made a few mistakes mostly from slips but has been a standout player for SU this year
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 4:27pm
He wouldn't be the most graceful, but he's generally been very good alright
We're decent enough..
wexfordman1 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wexfordman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 3:11pm
Stupid of him to get that first yellow card for nothing and bad defending for the second
Unusual for him but cost his team
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 3:16pm
John sent off for a second yellow v Newcastle.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 3:29pm
The red card perfectly demonstrated the biggest issue with Egan, he always looks in horrendous trouble if you get him turned... It's the main reason I'd still (marginally) prefer Clark ahead of him if we're playing a flat back 4.
We're decent enough..
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 4:55pm
Looks a bit rusty last couple of games but over the season he's been very good. Probably one of the best ireland players this season.

Suggestions that he's suspect in his defending have short memories. Whether ireland play the 2 or 3 centre backs he'd be my first choice. 

Duffy is better in aerial battles but Egan is much better in possession and can carry the ball forward better than Duffy or Clark. 
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 5:55pm
Sheffield Utd as a team have come back from the break a bit sluggish and struggled now against two teams they would have expected to beat on previous league form. Bad day at the office for Egan and Stevens but they're good players and better to get the off-days out of the way now rather than October. The Ireland defence isn't having a great weekend-Randolph and Duffy on bench, don't know if Coleman is playing tonight. On the plus side young Doherty is playing as well as ever for Wolves and Clark is ahead of schedule on his recovery from injury and might play again before the end of the season.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 6:19pm

Looks a bit rusty last couple of games but over the season he's been very good. Probably one of the best ireland players this season.

Suggestions that he's suspect in his defending have short memories. Whether ireland play the 2 or 3 centre backs he'd be my first choice. 

Duffy is better in aerial battles but Egan is much better in possession and can carry the ball forward better than Duffy or Clark. 

Strongly disagree that he's that great on the ball either tbh. He's the weakest by far in the Sheffield defence at it, and he certainly never "carries the ball out of defence", that's left exclusively  to Basham and O'Connell with Egan sitting deep behind them. He's probably a little better than Duffy on the ball, but Clark is more comfortable than either of them (as you'd expect for a guy who's played a lot at left-back and in midfield).
We're decent enough..
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Strongly disagree that he's that great on the ball either tbh. He's the weakest by far in the Sheffield defence at it, and he certainly never "carries the ball out of defence", that's left exclusively  to Basham and O'Connell with Egan sitting deep behind them. He's probably a little better than Duffy on the ball, but Clark is more comfortable than either of them (as you'd expect for a guy who's played a lot at left-back and in midfield).

He’s much better than Duffy on the ball, although you’re right that he is the deepest sitting Utd cb. He’s definitely underrated as a passer of the ball. Kenny seems to like one stopper and one cultured, passing cb. I don’t think he’s quite the cultured type, but he’s more than a stopper. He’ll be first choice next to Duffy whatever happens
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 9:09pm
i wouldn't be too quick to judge him off one bad game, he's had a great couple of seasons up to now.

That said, I do think him or Clark are only keeping the jersey warm for a year or two before Dara O'Shea or Nathan Collins come in beside Duffy.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

i wouldn't be too quick to judge him off one bad game, he's had a great couple of seasons up to now.

That said, I do think him or Clark are only keeping the jersey warm for a year or two before Dara O'Shea or Nathan Collins come in beside Duffy.

I wouldn't say Duffy is guaranteed in 1-2 years time either. 
JohnSwift View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSwift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 10:28pm
If Stephen Kenny wants to play the same style of football we’ve seen from the U21s, it’s difficult to see how Duffy can fit into that system. His lack of pace means he has a tendency to drag the back four deeper than they should be. Also chooses the option of lumping the ball long when on possession.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 10:43pm
The "big man" style of centre defender will find it harder to adapt as we go on. For Duffy, not having pace will be one thing in a Kenny team. Not exactly being the most composed with the ball at his feet is another. 

Managers will always want a "big man", just more Virgil Van Dyke than Duffy. More strings to your how is a must these days.  Like the idea that a sitting midfielder had be some sort of Igor character without a creative bone in his body. 

Duffy suited the style of Ireland for the last 30 years, but assuming Kenny stays true to his beliefs, then who knows where that leaves Duffy. 

Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 11:27pm
There's not a lot of competition at the moment though there is potential with the likes of Collins, O'Shea, Masterson, Jimmy Dunne, even O'Hora at Brighton possibly. Let's not forget how highly Duffy and Dunk were rated until the new Brighton manager came in. Shane has been an important player for Ireland and will remain so, even if he has to get a move to ensure regular first team football.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 48>
  Share Topic