You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Long

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 302303304305306>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2022 at 6:03am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

In talks over a new contract at Southampton. Didn't see that one coming, you have to credit his professionalism to keep going at a high level.

I had a nagging feeling he'd be kept on again. I know he's settled in the area and that's playing a part in his decision making, but it's a shame to see him sacrifice the latter portion of his career at club level and intl level because of it. Wife is happy anyways I'd say. I can't imagine the Southampton fans are.

What's your issue with players wives having an input into the decisions they make; you seem to bring it up over and over. Do you think women should just shut up and stay out of these things?

I'll bite. If I bring it up over and over, throw up a few examples.

Ronan Curtis when he supposedly turned down a move to France because he's wife is pregnant and they've already lost two kids last season you replied:

"It's possible to balance the two leaving aside the fact that it's a brief career and your thirties are still childbearing years."

Bite so, tell us why you repeatedly talk down the (assumed) preferences of Irish footballers partners?

Because I don't; because you insist on using threads like this to try and settle grievances over stuff that was said weeks, sometimes months ago in other threads. I asked you to throw up one example and you failed miserably. Someone else brought up one example of him bringing up someone's partner in response to a post I made! 

My original comment was, "Ligue 1 interest likely to be rejected for, surprise surprise, family reasons." That doesn't mention his partner at all; it's literally quoting the source FFS.

He rejected a move to Sweden before he moved to Portsmouth and the links to France are a long-standing thing, not something that developed within the last twelve months.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 11 Jun 2022 at 6:20am
Sponsored Links

amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2022 at 7:06pm
would actually be interesting to me to see how he did if he went somewhere like reading and played regularly. feel like southampton will keep him for another year, cheap and a good pro, knows his role. can somewhat understand their fans being unhappy bc it seems like a lack of ambition but seems like they are just not going to spend big money, keeping shane long on a 1 yr deal as a squad depth player isnt really the problem, moreso its the lack of production from strikers they have spent money on (i.e. adam armstrong who was 15m pounds with 2 goals last year in 1,414 mins; long with 1 goal in 308)
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 2:13pm
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 2:28pm
Finishes his Premier League career with 344 appearances - ninth on the all time Irish appearances list in the Premier League and third top scorer after Keane and Quinn.
pateen View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pateen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 3:28pm
Retired or moving?
Flying so high, trying to remember
How many cigarettes did I bring along?
When I get down I'll jump in a taxi cab
Driving through London town, to cry you a song
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by pateen pateen wrote:

Retired or moving?

Well he allegedly turned down a 1 year extension at Southampton so you'd imagine hes keen to play to play more football than he has been there, elsewhere.

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 2:48pm
Back at Reading. 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Back at Reading. 

A new chapter for him
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 3:16pm
He wasn’t on the shelf for long.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 3:17pm
A nice way to bookend his career.

Edited by colemanY2K - 13 Jul 2022 at 3:18pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 3:34pm
O,’tis ( Reading ).
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 3:59pm
Knew he wouldn't stray far from that neck of the woods. Good move for him, will probably be involved in a coaching role there too.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 4:07pm
Does this close the book on his international career?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Stimpy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stimpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Never say never, he probably still has more pace than majority of forwards. Could still do a job from the bench 
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

If anything I would think the opposite, if hes playing regularly and scoring a few goals here and there I don't think he'll be over looked especially when players like Obafemi and Idah have been so injury prone and lads like Collins and Hogan still getting a look in for us.

Given's zimmerframe View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 6:44pm
I also take this move as a sign that he wants to play more and maybe play for us more
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 7:00pm
It's amazing in some way he hasn't retired by now for us. I'm not complaining - big fan of his. But at 35 with 88 caps, lesser men and players have managed to get the international retirement platitudes in good time for themselves. I hope his international career doesn't just peter out - for sentimental reasons and the hope that he can do a job for us. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 7:12pm
I think it’s amazing given how much heavy lifting he did before 30 on the international stage that he isn’t yet reached a century of caps and become our second top scorer by a mile. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 302303304305306>
  Share Topic