You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Long

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 263264265266267 306>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 2:48pm
Left out for Southampton's crucial match with Bournemouth. Paying the price for that poor miss against Chelsea, it seems.
Sponsored Links

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Left out for Southampton's crucial match with Bournemouth. Paying the price for that poor miss against Chelsea, it seems.

I don't know if he is, but whenever something like that is posted, it turns out that he is unavailable due to injury.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 4:16pm

Won't be Long before he is back.
Wink
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 4:44pm
Came on the 59th minute, so clearly not injured.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 4:58pm

If he came on sub then he wasn't left out.

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

If he came on sub then he wasn't left out.

LOL
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 9:46pm
Did a good job for Southampton on the right wing tonight, helping them to see out the game and effectively ensure their survival.
We're decent enough..
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 9:54pm
Crucial header back into the danger zone in the lead up to the goal.

mandrake View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 10:22am
well done shane long , hopefully he can prosper in soton next year... enjoy the summer, after a goal v france
Come on Irelind
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 10:30am
I was just thinking watching the last 15 mins or so of that game last night, that Shane Long's perfect role is as the striker in a team desperately holding on to a lead. Chased and harried their defenders at every opportunity, challenged for headers, held the ball up and then the pace to just dink it into space and try and run on to it - or get fouled in the process therefore buying them a breather/breaking up the play and frustrating the opposition.

It's obviously quite a niche area but it really is his 'thing'.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 10:42am
I would genuinely love to glimpse into an alternate time line where Shane Long is a clinical finisher. Jesus Christ ... Speed, strength, deceptively great in the air, hold up play, running the channels. Cry
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

I was just thinking watching the last 15 mins or so of that game last night, that Shane Long's perfect role is as the striker in a team desperately holding on to a lead. Chased and harried their defenders at every opportunity, challenged for headers, held the ball up and then the pace to just dink it into space and try and run on to it - or get fouled in the process therefore buying them a breather/breaking up the play and frustrating the opposition.

It's obviously quite a niche area but it really is his 'thing'.

Was actually thinking the same. 
He must be a nightmare for defenders but he doesn’t really punish them with goals.

TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 3:49pm
Shane had a very effective 20 minutes last night. As was said that harrying role in defending a lead suits his game down to the ground. I will always be a huge fan even if prolific goalscoring at premier league level will never be his thing. Reading this things you would change for next season thread, on saintsweb a perhaps surprising amount of them want him gone.

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 3:54pm

Bit of an over reaction since last night on here. He did OK when he came on, nothing more IMO. Kept the ball alive for the goal but what else would anyone have done in that situation?

Many people in Ireland have this perception of him that he's some great striker, when really, his goals record at club and country is pretty pathetic.

NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Bit of an over reaction since last night on here. He did OK when he came on, nothing more IMO. Kept the ball alive for the goal but what else would anyone have done in that situation?

Many people in Ireland have this perception of him that he's some great striker, when really, his goals record at club and country is pretty pathetic.

Nobody has claimed this.

He's actually done well since Hughes has taken over at the Saints. The difference having a manager with a little bit of faith in you makes, I guess.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 10:23pm

Nobody has claimed this.

He's actually done well since Hughes has taken over at the Saints. The difference having a manager with a little bit of faith in you makes, I guess.

He very rarely gets any criticism from a lot of fans. Robbie Keane had far more critics oddly. 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 11:05pm

Nobody has claimed this.

He very rarely gets any criticism from a lot of fans. Robbie Keane had far more critics oddly. 

That is absolute nonsensw tbf, he's been regularly lambasted throughout his career. The only time I can remember people being universally ppsitive on him (an probably overhyping him) was prior to Euro 2016.
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 11:11pm
I’m not necessarily talking about football experts
I mean from the casual football followers, the bandwagoners, the Dunphy fans and the joe.ie readers of this country, they seem to think Long is some sort of class act 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 263264265266267 306>
  Share Topic