You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Long

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 235236237238239 306>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 1:08pm
Jesus don't even make a joke about Dyche been the manager, imagining listening to his interviewsDead
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Jesus don't even make a joke about Dyche been the manager, imagining listening to his interviewsDead

Didn't he do the voice over for the possessed girl in The Exorcist?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Cathalthesmart View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cathalthesmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 6:07pm
All the Irish players joining nearly makes me want Burnley to replace Everton as the team I support.
Hi Lads
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 7:05pm
Makes sense for a team like Burnley that won't have massive amounts of possession and so will have to play on the counter a lot - and have the option of the long ball.  Shane's excellent in both situations.  

It would be a good move.  He needs to be getting minutes before Georgia. 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 7:29pm
He might not even be a regular starter at burnley. Vokes made a great start at chelsea and hes not a bad player actually. Then you have walters who will have to wait to get his chance. Jaysus dyche must have his eyes on martin oneills job if he got long aswell. Sure hes practically assistant manager at this stage.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 4:57am
Long is a class apart from Vokes.  

Vokes is just a simple target man.  Hold the ball up for other players and happy to bundle it in from the odd set-piece.  

Long can hold the ball up, compete in the air, and is unbeatable for pace.  Finishing could improve possibly, but he comes good in the big matches (e.g.: Poland home and away, Germany, France for us). 

Importantly, one of the most important things Long does is what isn't seen.  His pace is such that the oppo's defenders can't push up and compress the space (Barca-style, gegenpressing etc.).  So just being on the pitch Long gives his entire team more space and time on the ball to play with.  

Vokes - well you just put your biggest, ugliest defender on him and you're grand.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 7:01am
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Long is a class apart from Vokes.  

Vokes is just a simple target man.  Hold the ball up for other players and happy to bundle it in from the odd set-piece.  

Long can hold the ball up, compete in the air, and is unbeatable for pace.  Finishing could improve possibly, but he comes good in the big matches (e.g.: Poland home and away, Germany, France for us). 

Importantly, one of the most important things Long does is what isn't seen.  His pace is such that the oppo's defenders can't push up and compress the space (Barca-style, gegenpressing etc.).  So just being on the pitch Long gives his entire team more space and time on the ball to play with.  

Vokes - well you just put your biggest, ugliest defender on him and you're grand.

I wish our Shane was as good as you say he is!

Vokes is decent and on a good run at the moment. He scored 6 in the the last 6 games of the season last year. He has started where he has left off.

But Long would get game time but wouldn't be guaranteed No1 unless he delivered.

Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cathalthesmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 7:11am
Vokes is in good form and all but he really isn't in the same league as Long, that's not to say Long is amazing but when I look at Long his one major flaw is he is quite wasteful when it comes to chances.
Hi Lads
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 10:42am
Originally posted by Cathalthesmart Cathalthesmart wrote:

Vokes is in good form and all but he really isn't in the same league as Long, that's not to say Long is amazing but when I look at Long his one major flaw is he is quite wasteful when it comes to chances.
Thankfully that flaw isn't very important in a striker.
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cathalthesmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Sarcasm king, Vokes isn't much better. All Vokes has that Long doesn't is his physicality but having said that Long really punches above his weight in that department.
Hi Lads
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 12:27pm

Sarcasm king, Vokes isn't much better. All Vokes has that Long doesn't is his physicality but having said that Long really punches above his weight in that department.
Why is Vokes the sarcasm king?
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 12:39pm
LOL, a possible bus passenger
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cathalthesmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 1:09pm

Who said he was. All you (yes you pre madonna) have to do is look in the mirror to find the sarcasm king.
Hi Lads
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 1:10pm

Who said he was. All you (yes you pre madonna) have to do is look in the mirror to find the sarcasm king.
Thank you, that is very kind of you to say so.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 4:25pm
Beggars can't be choosers.  We don't have another finisher like Robbie Keane, and probably never will. Very few small nations have.  

Long's finishing isn't alway outstanding, but he does makes lots of chances for himself and wins penos, his all-round play is very good, and he steps up in the big games.  

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Beggars can't be choosers.  We don't have another finisher like Robbie Keane, and probably never will. Very few small nations have.  

Long's finishing isn't alway outstanding, but he does makes lots of chances for himself and wins penos, his all-round play is very good, and he steps up in the big games.  

I think that is only half-true, aside from his goals against Germany and Poland, what other big games has he stepped up in?
I like Long, he is a decent player who has worked hard to play above his natural level, but there is no point exaggerating claims about him either.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 5:49pm
Won peno in crunch game in Warsaw, won peno against France, denied a stonewall peno against Belgium. 

Along with Germany and Poland in Dublin, they're five of the biggest games we've played in the last year and a half.  

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 5:57pm
I wouldn't count being fouled once as ' stepping up in the big games' really. His performances were poor enough in some of those games. When I think of 'big-game' players for Ireland, I think of Jonny Walters and not Shane Long.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 235236237238239 306>
  Share Topic