You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Long

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 306>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shane Long
    Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 4:01pm

Long out of Ireland game

After picking up an ankle injury in Saturdays 2-1 defeat to S****horpe, Shane Long has been forced to withdraw from Ireland's glamour friendly with Argentina on Wednesday night.

The striker was injured whilst trying to follow up Simon Church's saved shot in the second half, and as we had used all 3 subs, he was forced to play for the final 20 minutes on the right wing doing nothing more than crossing the odd ball into the box.

He will be disappointed to miss out as the game marked the first international at the new Landsdowne Road.

Long's absence adds to a number of players not available for Wednesday nights trip to Torquay.

Edited by Propagandhi® - 10 Sep 2010 at 2:19pm
Sponsored Links

Propagandhi® View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 8:09am

Reading striker Shane Long says he is fit and ready to return to first-team action when Nottingham Forest visit the Madejski Stadium on Saturday.

The 23-year-old has been out since injuring his hip during the 2-1 opening-day defeat by S****horpe.

Long told BBC Berkshire: "I settled back into training on Tuesday, and am definitely going to be fit on Saturday.

"It was frustrating to miss a game like Portsmouth away, but it could be worse. It'll nice to be back on the pitch."

Without Long, Reading defeated Torquay in the Carling Cup and needed a late equaliser to earn a 1-1 draw with Portsmouth last time out.

"The first game we could have done a better in and we should have won but those games happen and they're going to happen throughout the season," he added.

"We responded well against Portsmouth and to come away from there with a point is no easy feat. Hopefully we can back that up with a win against Forest.

"Four points in three games would not be that bad."

Edited by Propagandhi® - 10 Sep 2010 at 2:15pm
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 2:15pm

Chicken nuggets are back on the menu for Shane Long tonight.

The striker will be hoping his pre-match treat will help him start banging in the goals for Reading after being away with the Republic of Ireland squad for the last two weeks.

Long is looking to break his duck this season against Crystal Palace tomorrow when they visit Madejski Stadium (3pm kick-off).

During the week the 23-year-old is on a strict diet, but he has always allowed himself one guilty pleasure the night before games, but was deprived his fast-food fix when away on international duty with Giovanni Trapattoni’s squad.

“I don’t get that (chicken nuggets) when I’m away, but I’ll have them tonight,” said Long who hasn’t scored since the 6-0 thrashing of Peterborough United on April 17.

“With the Italian influence it’s lots of pasta and chicken. So I’m looking forward to treating myself tonight.”

With unlikely top-scorer Matt Mills leading the way for Royals in front of goal, Reading’s strikers are desperate to get off the mark.

Gregorz Rasiak, who has now left the club for Cyprus, is the only Royals front man to score in a competitive game this season, but Long knows good things come to those who wait.

He explained: “I try not to think about it too much.

“The goals will come and once they do hopefully it will be a continuous roll. I’m just concentrating on working hard and playing well, it will come.

“Kevin Doyle scored his first goal of the season for Ireland in midweek and hopefully I can follow in his footsteps.

“We’ve been playing well and I think we’ve been unfortunate with some results.

“Winning at Leicester would have boosted the confidence, but we know Palace will be a tough game. Every game is, but if we’re at the top of our game we can beat anyone.

“It’s early in the season, but when we’re at home I think we’re always favourites. The Madejski is a hard place to come to and we need to make sure it’s a fortress again this season.”

Manager Brian McDermott could shuffle his pack following the loss of Gylfi Sigurdsson and the arrival of Ian Harte and Zurab Khizanishvili as he looks for the first Championship win at home this season.

Long has often found himself isolated in the 4-2-3-1 formation and he could find himself partnered by either Simon Church or Noel Hunt in a 4-4-2 set-up against Palace.

And he added: “I enjoy playing by myself, but at the same time playing 4-4-2 is also good.

“It’s hard for defenders when they’re marking one player because they never always sure who should be picking me up.

“That option is always there, but it’s up to the gaffer at the end of the day.

“It will be hard to fill Gylfi’s space behind the striker.

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 9:41am
Shane Long has scored from the penalty spot after being brought down by fellow Irishman Paddy McCarthy.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 6:37am

ROYALS boss Brian McDermott hailed Shane Long as an 'unsung hero' after the striker inspired his side to a 3-0 victory over Crystal Palace.

Long won two penalties, converted one and was a constant thorn in Palace's side as Reading claimed back-to-back Championship wins and extend their unbeaten run to four games.

He even gave up the chance to grab his second penalty of the day when he handed fellow Irishman Ian Harte the chance to mark his debut with a goal, an invitation gratefully accepted.

And Jimmy Kebe crowned a fine afternoon's work for McDermott's side by netting a stylish third in stoppage time.

Royals boss said: “Playing up front on your own against two guys like Palace's centre-halves is really difficult.

“But Shane is getting better and better. He's an unsung hero and people don't see what he does for the team.

“He wins his headers and holds it up. He got two penalties today and I was delighted with him, as I was the whole team.”

Edited by Propagandhi® - 12 Sep 2010 at 6:38am
Padraig88 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraig88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 9:51am

It may be a long night in zilina!

By Aidan Fitzmaurice

Monday October 11 2010

A FLICK OF the wrist shows that his thoughts have not strayed too far from home despite his new-found status as a key man for his country.

As Shane Long sits down for a conversation after yesterday's squad training session in Malahide in a poky kitchen at the squad's training base, there's a revealing aside to his character and background.

The session is the last chance to get some air into the lungs before this morning's flight to Slovakia for a game which will have a big say in whether Ireland make it to the neighbouring countries of Poland and Ukraine in 2012.

On his left arm is not one of those gaudy diamond-encrusted watches worth more than the average industrial wage so favoured by Premier League footballers, but instead one of those plastic wrist bands popular with kids, with the blue and gold colours and the words Tiobraid Arainn.

If life had taken a different turn, Long would spend this week touring the schools of his native Tipperary as part of the victorious All-Ireland winning side, as he played up to minor level with many of the current Tipp heroes. Yet instead, Long is likely to occupy the nation's focus tomorrow night if, as expected, he's selected to play alongside Robbie Keane up front for Ireland.

Long pushed himself to the fore of manager Trapattoni's thoughts with an impressive substitute display against Russia on Friday night, scoring Ireland's second goal at Lansdowne Road, yet he's anything but an overnight success, as Long first scored for Ireland more than three years ago.

But he knows that a starting role against the Slovaks would be another chapter in an amazing story for the sports people of his home county.

"It was a great year for Tipp all round, with the seniors and the U21s. The atmosphere down in Tipp now is pretty good, and I suppose me scoring the other night didn't do any harm," Long told the Evening Herald.

"That Tipp win last month meant so much to me as I know a lot of the lads there. I played with Paddy Stapleton, Joseph Locke -- who was injured -- and a lot of the minors like Darragh Egan, Dave Young, and it's great to see them do well.

"It was an unbelievable feeling to score on Friday night. My first competitive game under Trapattoni, my first Ireland goal under him. I had a lot of family there to see the goal so that was nice, just a pity we didn't get the result we needed.

"My phone just went mental with all the texts and calls, I just had to leave it aside because I couldn't answer everyone, but it was a special night for me and it was nice to get such a response.

"In a way it's easy, coming on at 3-0 down when you're chasing the game, everyone pushing forward and not worrying as much about defending. But I was delighted to get the goal and hopefully I can push on from there with Ireland now tomorrow night," added Long.

The Reading man has been given a chance to play against the Slovaks as his former Reading team-mate and close friend Kevin Doyle was ruled out through injury yesterday.

"Kevin was gutted. I spoke to him when he was going home on Sunday morning. He was slightly relieved in that the injury was not a serious one, it looks like he'll only be out for two weeks. He's devastated not to be involved for tomorrow but glad that the injury isn't worse," Long revealed.

"It's a great chance for me now, the team hasn't been picked yet but hopefully I can get a run at some stage. Kevin is a big loss for us. He's one of the top strikers in the Premier League so it's going to be hard for us, he has big boots to fill, but we have to manage. And if I get the shout I am ready to take it.

Part

"I feel like I have been playing well for my club recently. I hoped that would be enough coming into the game and thankfully I played a part.

"There is a bit of competition for that striking position, and you need that in the squad to push yourself so I have to use that competition to work harder in training and show the manager that I can play."

For a while there, Long and those close to him were wondering if Trapattoni knew that the Reading player was actually there at all. He's made almost every single Ireland squad during Trapattoni's reign but Friday was Long's first time to play in a competitive game under the Italian. Having played four times in the doomed Euro 2008 campaign under Staunton, Long was left to stew under Trapattoni, failing to even make the bench or the match-day squad in any of the games on the road to South Africa.

"It was frustrating, I have to admit, but I had to get on with it," he says. "It comes down to your club form. Towards the end of last season and at the start of this season I was starting almost every game. I was involved in the squad every time so I can't complain too much," added Long.

The Reading man is one of the survivors from Ireland's last visit to Slovakia, in 2007, and he hopes for better fortunes this week.

"I was there the last time we were in Slovakia, I was on the bench but didn't get on. We played well in that game, Doyler scored a cracking goal but we were robbed at the end when Slovakia got an equaliser. Hopefully it won't be a repeat of that and we might have to go for it out there. There's no point in playing for a 1-0 because you can get caught, as happened to us in Bratislava. We have good players in the team and in the squad so we have to go out and prove that," Long says.

"I think we need to go there and win. Three points from the Slovakia game would be massive for us. After losing on Friday we need to pick up as many points as we can and three points has to be the target as I can't see Russia throwing away too many points after this.

"It will be tough as Slovakia will be a tough place to go, and they've shown they are good away from home as well with that win in Moscow, so we won't get anything easy out there and if we can get something it will be a big step towards qualification."

- Aidan Fitzmaurice

Edited by Padraig88 - 11 Oct 2010 at 9:51am
Jokerman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jokerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 8:56pm

McDermott happy with Long effort

Reading manager Brian McDermott has backed striker Shane Long to get among the goals soon.

01 Nov 2010

Long was again impressive in the 4-3 win at home to Doncaster on Saturday without finding the net and has managed just two goals all season - both penalties.

But McDermott said: "When you play one up front you need that physicality and he gets battered from week to week.

"He's an honest lad, he keeps going and gives everything he can in that shirt.

"You can't ask for more than that."

Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 7:11am
I'm glad to see his manager is happy with his performances. But he is a striker and strikers are supposed to score goals. Don't get me wrong, I like his attitude, but sometimes he needs to learn take up better positions and to be a bit more ruthless in front of the goals.

IRC, great goalscorers like Ian Rush and Gary Lineker often contributing little in some matches, but coming up with the goals, that ultimately win games.

Until Long regularly starts finding the ol' onion sack, he won't be seen as a great or even a good striker.

Jokerman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jokerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 9:38am

McDermott sick of Long's critics

Profile by Anthony Smith

BRIAN McDermott is furious with Reading fans for jeering Shane Long – after revealing the much-maligned striker played through the pain barrier last weekend.

The Republic of Ireland international left the Madejski Stadium pitch to a chorus of boos with Royals trailing Doncaster Rovers 3-1. But McDermott’s men stormed back to win 4-3 after netting four goals for the second league game in a row.

However, Royals boss insists the criticism of Long is totally unjustified – especially given the pain he put his body through last Saturday afternoon.

Speaking exclusively to the Chronicle, McDermott said: “All I know is Shane gave his all for the shirt. If he didn’t get a decent ovation when I took him off it’s disappointing to say the least.

“I’m telling you, Shane did well, he won all his headers and put his body on the line. What fans don’t know is that he was ill before the game and ill at half time.

Laid low: Shane Long shook off a bout of sickness to play in Reading's 4-3 win against Doncaster Rovers last weekend. However, the striker was jeered when he was taken off.

“He was throwing up everywhere and obviously wasn’t feeling great but he still went out there and gave everything for the shirt. People don’t see that side of Shane so it’s time they knew.”

Long has netted twice this season, both times from the penalty spot and has been used mostly as a lone striker.

Now McDermott is appealing to supporters to get right behind him like they did with Jimmy Kebe.

“Shane is 23 and still learning but the last thing I’m going to do is defend him,” said McDermott. “I have great players at this club who give me everything they have.

“But over the years fans do sometimes give players a tough time. Jimmy Kebe is a prime example. He had a difficult time but now the fans love him.

“Shane had a difficult period with injuries but I know once he gets a few more goals the fans will be right on his side.

“The fact is we need fans to help him rather than go the other way. Confidence is a major factor in football and every player is affected by it. When fans have a go it doesn’t really help.”

Long has since recovered from a stomach bug and is likely to keep his place in McDermott’s starting line-up for Saturday’s mouthwatering trip to Neil Warnock’s Queens Park Rangers.

More than 2,500 Royals fans are heading to Loftus Road and McDermott added: “Everyone is entitled to their opinion and fans pay their money. All I will say is I only use players who give everything for the shirt.

“I heard someone call a radio station after Saturday’s game to say they were disappointed with our performance, even though we won 4-3.

“The fact is you can’t play well every game but we kept going and showed tremendous spirit to come back and win it. How anyone could be disappointed is beyond me.”

Meanwhile, Royals geared up for the weekend by inviting former X Factor star Danyl Johnson to a training session at Hogwood Park on Tuesday. “He used to be a goalkeeper and he’s a good lad,” stated striker Noel Hunt.

“He’s also a big Reading fan and a few of us exchange messages on Twitter.”

seaniemac View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seaniemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 9:53am
1. Go to Google
2. type in 'shane long'
3. click on News
4. click on the news articles
5. ctrl C, ctrl V
6. when no-one replies to articles, repeat steps 1-5
SleepySleepy
Sleepy
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 10:00am
Personally I like these updates as it saves me from trawling through the web looking for them.
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Count Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 10:02am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Personally I like these updates as it saves me from trawling through the web looking for them.

me to Thumbs%20Up
Ireland4ever View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ireland4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 10:07am
How about a player info/injury/transfer thread that all these can be put into, i like the updates but it does stunt any debate when there's a big report whacked in.
Jokerman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jokerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 6:10pm

Reading striker Shane Long has put pen to paper on a new deal to keep him at the club until the summer of 2012.

The Republic of Ireland international has been at the Madejski Stadium since 2005 but his contract had been set to expire at the end of this season.

He has now committed his future to the Royals for a further 12 months and manager Brian McDermott is thrilled with the agreement.

McDermott also paid tribute to the contribution made by the 23-year-old during his time at the club and will be hoping his best is yet to come.

"I'm delighted Shane has committed to the club by signing a new contract with us," said McDermott.

"He was one of four strikers who helped us make history in 2005/06, playing a valuable part in the squad that earned promotion with 106 points, and he also scored crucial goals at the very highest level during our two seasons in the Premier League."

dublin-hammer View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dublin-hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 11:31am
just scored an screamer! top corner rocket!
I'm not a fascist, I'm a priest. Fascists dress in black and go around telling people what to do, whereas...priests... More drink!
Jokerman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jokerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 11:32am
Shane Long has scored a beauty.
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 5:09pm
Answered his critics today. Lad is progressing all the time. .
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
awlawd View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote awlawd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 5:15pm
what a hit!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 306>
  Share Topic