You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Long

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 306>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jokerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 5:21pm
People shouldn't judge Long on goals scored. He gets assists, he wins penalties, he wins free kicks, he gets kicked all over the pitch. Just like Doyle, the work he does for the team outweighs goals scored. Besides, he has already proven that he can compete at the top level with his two seasons in the Premiership and more recently, his performances in the F.A. Cup, and for his country against Russia and Slovakia. Should start alongside Doyle or Keane against Norway.
Sponsored Links

Wearside Bhoy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wearside Bhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 12:43am
Originally posted by Jokerman Jokerman wrote:

Shane Long has scored a beauty.

Cracking goal from Shane.
TJ Doyles,Sunderland probably the best Irish pub in the world.
Jokerman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jokerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 4:23am
Karacan: Get behind Long for Cardiff City showdown

By Jonny Fordham
November 09, 2010

Get off his back and get behind him.

That was the message Reading midfielder Jem Karacan had for the boo-boys and critics of team-mate Shane Long.

After recovering from an elbow to the face on Saturday, Long smashed in a 25-yard screamer for Royals as they went down 3-1 to QPR at Loftus Road.

And the talented warrior is fit enough to lead the line at Madejski Stadium against Cardiff City tomorrow (8pm kick-off).

Karacan admitted that he and the rest of the Reading dressing room were sick of the jeers that the Republic of Ireland striker had received in previous games this season.

Karacan said: “It’s annoying when we see him get that stick now and then because he does an amazing job for the team, puts in performances week-in week-out and other boys get the credit.

“He works his nuts off up top and we’re delighted for him. He is our main striker and we need all the fans behind him.

“We all know what Shane can do. He’s got a bit of stick being our main striker and not getting enough goals, but he showed what he can do against QPR – he does that every day in training.”

The 23-year-old celebrated signing a new contract with his first goal from open play this campaign on Saturday.

Ironically, Long was also the first player to score from open play against Neil Warnock’s Superhoops at Loftus Road in the Championship this season.

Edited by Jokerman - 09 Nov 2010 at 4:25am
Jokerman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jokerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 7:05am

Wednesday, 10th November, 2010

Long fears Cardiff City backlash

SHANE LONG is ready to blame ex-Royals boss Brendan Rodgers for a Cardiff City backlash at the Madejski Stadium tonight (Wednesday, 8pm ko).

Reading went down 3-1 at 10-man QPR on the weekend while the Bluebirds suffered a 1-0 defeat to Rodgers’ Swansea City in the South Wales derby.

And Long expects a dramatic response from Dave Jones’ visitors who lie second in the table.

Long, wearing the bruises of a brutal encounter at Loftus Road, said: “I don’t think Cardiff were at the races, they had a bit of an off day and they missed Jay Bothroyd up front.

“It could be one of the worst things to happen for us because they’ll be well up for this next game. They’ll want to three points they threw away on Sunday, but we’ll have something to say about that.”

Top scorer Bothroyd is certain to start after serving a one-match suspension, and Long added: “They are a different side without Bothroyd but he’s back against us. Cardiff aren’t second in the table for nothing. They’re a great side and their bench is as strong as their first team.

Big test: Shane Long knows Cardiff City will be desperate to bounce back from losing the South Wales derby. But Craig Bellamy could be among the Bluebirds players missing.

“We’ll have to be at our very best to get a result - even if takes a 92nd minute from our goalkeeper Adam Federici to beat them again.”

Long has declared himself fit despite sporting a nasty black eye from the hoops derby at Loftus Road which he claims was the result of a Rangers elbow.

Long also netted a 25-yard screamer in the defeat - his first goal from open play this season. But the 23-year-old Republic of Ireland striker has continue to split opinions and was jeered off the pitch in the recent 4-3 win against Doncaster Rovers, despite playing on with a stomach bug.

“I was sick on the pitch and at half-time against Doncaster and I also got a nice shiner at QPR,” said the battered forward, who last week signed a new deal until summer 2012.

“I think the referee was the only person who didn’t see the elbow and I’m just thankful nothing was broken and no serious damage was done.

“My sight wasn’t great for 10 minutes but the eye went down during the game and I felt okay. I’m just thankful it wasn’t a lot worse so I’ll take a few painkillers to get rid of the headaches and I’ll be fit to play. I give as good as I get on the pitch and no doubt I’ll get another knock against Cardiff.”

jb37 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jb37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 9:00am
Really needs to be consistantly scoring at championship level.  I believe he has the ability so lets hope his recent cracker v qpr is the start of a purple patch.  he showed in last years fa cup fixtures he can score against quality opposition so no reason he should be a 20 goal a season man for reading. Good to see he is firmly established in the team this term.
Jokerman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jokerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 10:49am
Longy usually scores in fits and starts. Let's hope he can go on a good goalscoring run now.
Jokerman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jokerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 12:15pm
http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,26691,16428,00.html

1:11 Shane Long's goal against QPR. Clap
The Drifter View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Drifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Jokerman Jokerman wrote:

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,26691,16428,00.html

1:11 Shane Long's goal against QPR. Clap

ehhh thats an after match with neil warnock?
My dream has always been to play for the Republic of Ireland - James McClean.
Jokerman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jokerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 12:36pm
decky_eire View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decky_eire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 1:35pm
take a bow son
I am no miracle worker....... I am just Giovanni

Jokerman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jokerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 5:07am

Hunt delighted to see 'hurler' Long getting reward

By Daniel McDonnell

Wednesday November 17 2010

STEPHEN HUNT has paid tribute to Shane Long for sticking it out when others would have grown disillusioned by travelling around the world as an unused substitute.

Long will start tonight's friendly with Norway in the absence of Robbie Keane after doing a fine job of standing in for Kevin Doyle in Slovakia last month.

The Reading striker made a goalscoring substitute appearance against Russia a couple of days earlier, and his former club-mate Hunt is delighted to see the Tipperary native reaping the rewards for his patience after a period in his career where he appeared to be stuck in neutral.

"Shane Long has turned up for the last two years every time and he hasn't had much success in terms of coming on -- he hasn't come on in all the games," said Hunt. "It's hard sometimes when you're coming here and you're not getting on. You're sitting in a hotel room and stuff like that.

"Now, he's getting more regular football with his club and so that will benefit him as well. He's getting stronger and he has to develop.

"He had a year there when he may have stood still a little bit but he's better than that so he's progressing well again and showing his potential.

"He's a Tipperary hurler, to be honest. He hasn't got the physique of a footballer, but he's strong as an ox and he's quick and powerful so he'll be a handful. Even if he is having a bad game, he will still be in their faces and cause problems."

For Hunt, this is a significant period as well. The Waterford man has spent the majority of 2010 on the sidelines with a foot injury that initially appeared harmless but ended up bringing his career with Hull to a premature close.

Wolves were still ready to splash the cash, and the 29-year-old has returned to club action in the last month, enduring his own pre-season against some of the Premier League's big guns.

Naturally, considering his enthusiasm for the game, the period on the sidelines has been frustrating, especially watching Ireland from afar.

Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni admitted that Hunt's energy and defensive awareness were missed in the reverse at the hands of the Russians. A few texts from Trapattoni and assistant boss Marco Tardelli kept his spirits high during the lengthy hiatus.

"The most important thing is that you're mentally strong," said the winger of the lay-off.

"There are bad days. You do running and the next day you might be a bit sore so you're disappointed. It was slow coming back, but I'm back now so I'm glad. In my first couple of games after I came back, I had a back problem. I needed an injection to just settle it down.

"Thankfully that's gone away in the last week or so. I had a few niggles after coming back and so it's only now that I'm beginning to feel like a bit of an athlete. I feel good, so happy days."

However, with Damien Duff and Liam Lawrence starting in the wide roles tonight, and Trapattoni indicating that Aiden McGeady and Keith Treacy will feature as substitutes, Hunt may have to wait a little longer to fully remind Ireland's fans of his ability.

- Daniel McDonnell

Irish Independent

Edited by Jokerman - 17 Nov 2010 at 5:07am
WindBag View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Makes great Pancakes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WindBag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 5:19am
big game for him tonight, would love to see him grab one
domo View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote domo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 6:09am
Spoke to him in Solvakia what a guy really down to earth i asked him what his highlight of his career so far.It was coming off the bench and banging one in at Anfield in the cup but playing for Ireland is 10 times better.Really hope he gets a goal tonight
Shake and Bake
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 1:13pm
good luck tonite lad
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 3:44pm
Love this kid. Full of beans he is . Muscled hangeland at times and that says a lot .
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Honey Monster View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honey Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 6:42pm
Surely if he can play like that at international level, he should be blowing the Championship apart and looking to move on from Reading. Hangerland is a top EPL defender and twice his size and he couldnt handle Long.
Jokerman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jokerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by Honey Monster Honey Monster wrote:

Surely if he can play like that at international level, he should be blowing the Championship apart and looking to move on from Reading. Hangerland is a top EPL defender and twice his size and he couldnt handle Long.
He's never going to score as much goals as Robbie Keane but I certainly think that he could make a similar impact to Doyle at a club like Wolves.
Jokerman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jokerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 8:30am

Long way to go

Saturday November 20 2010

FOR over two years, Giovanni Trapattoni has been searching for a striking alternative to Robbie Keane and Kevin Doyle. Now it appears as though the answer was sitting there the whole time.

By now, Shane Long would be qualified enough to publish a Christmas stocking filler describing the view from the substitutes' benches in a variety of different grounds around Europe.

When available, the Reading striker is an ever-present in the Italian's squad selections. He was an extra in the World Cup qualifying campaign, a figure in a tracksuit who watched as individuals like Caleb Folan and Leon Best were promoted into big games, while he jostled for a place in the dugout.

All of a sudden, Long is looking like a different player for Ireland this autumn. His impressive substitute appearance against Russia last month was followed by a starring role in the draw with Slovakia in Zilina and another promising outing in the otherwise disappointing defeat to Norway on Wednesday night.

The plaudits have rained in from every direction, and there's a movement forming which argues that, if Keane remains in the background at Spurs, then perhaps it is time for Long to be promoted to the starting XI.

It's hard to imagine Trapattoni contemplating that, but there's one question that remains outstanding. On this evidence, why is Long still playing in the Championship? And why is there no speculation linking him with a move to the top flight?

It might come as a surprise to those who have been wowed by the 23-year-old's recent outings for his country that, at Reading, the fans are still unsure about the merits of the ex-Cork City striker.

On one of the most popular fan forums, an irate poster started a thread named, 'Long -- Time To Go' in frustration after the 1-0 defeat to Bristol City last month. As of yesterday, there was over 1,500 messages in response and no clear consensus.

Clearly, it's a divisive argument.

The thrust of the criticism is that while he may be a hard worker, his strike rate is below par. In short, he needs too many chances to score, and is not the man to lead the Royals back to the top division.

Long has started 16 games for Brian McDermott's side this year and scored four goals. But three of those came from the penalty spot; his calm spot-kick conversion for Ireland the other night demonstrated his comfort in that department. The return from open play is seized upon by his detractors.

In truth, the last couple of years have been slightly unusual for Long. After developing an effective super-sub reputation when Steve Coppell brought Reading to the Premier League, a change of personnel thrust responsibility upon his shoulders. When Kevin Doyle set sail for Wolves, Long started the 2009/10 campaign as favourite to be the Championship's top scorer with a new boss in Brendan Rodgers.

announced

Through a combination of injury and loss of form, he didn't score a goal until January, with Rodgers already having got the bullet. Long used to lodge with the new manager McDermott -- who had championed his recruitment in the first place -- and got off the mark with a strike that helped knock Liverpool out of the FA Cup.

It was a mixed bag for the rest of the campaign, with a brace against Aston Villa proving again that he can trouble elite defenders. But the flip side was a moderate total in the league -- hence the scepticism from the Madejski Stadium patrons carrying over into this campaign.

Earlier this month -- just a few weeks after brilliantly deputising for Doyle in Zilina -- he was booed by a section of Reading fans when he was replaced during a Championship meeting with Doncaster.

"Shane is still learning," said McDermott, in his defence. "But over the years, fans do sometimes give players a tough time. Shane had a difficult period with injuries but I know once he gets a few more goals, the fans will be on his side. The fact is we need fans to help him rather than go the other way. Confidence is a major factor in football, and every player is affected by it."

In the days after the Doncaster heckles, the club announced that Long had signed a new contract until 2012. He enjoys a good standard of living in Berkshire, and is believed to earn in the region of £15,000 a week, a hangover from the Premier League stint. Having become a father in the past year, his situation has changed off the pitch. Now, Irish fans are starting to see a growing maturity when he crosses the white line.

As it happens, there were parallels between his Irish outing during week and his previous club appearance for Reading in Saturday's 3-3 draw with Norwich. He was a bustling presence in that game and was on the mark with a penalty before missing a gilt-edged chance to claim three points.

Long was superb against Norway, yet his composure in front of goal let him down with Ireland on top in the second half. Considering he made the chances through his own endeavour, the profligacy was forgiven.

The ideal scenario is that the morale boost from his Irish displays propels the ex-Tipperary minor hurler to the next level. Certainly, there's no doubting his ability to make it there, but it won't happen until he finds the consistency to match the potential.

Irish Independent

Edited by Jokerman - 20 Nov 2010 at 8:31am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 306>
  Share Topic