You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Long

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 303304305306>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 7:55pm
If it's a pick between Long, Hogan and Collins, and all were playing regular league football, then I'd pick Long first all day.
One of the fittest lads around, still has pace, torments defenders.

I know he's not prolific but he's not finished yet, and if he gets a run of Championship matches for Reading, he should be in the conversation for the squad for sure.
Sponsored Links

Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

If it's a pick between Long, Hogan and Collins, and all were playing regular league football, then I'd pick Long first all day.

I know he's not prolific but he's not finished yet, and if he gets a run of Championship matches for Reading, he should be in the conversation for the squad for sure.

I'll be very surprised if we ever see Collins in an Ireland squad again, hasn't been involved since October. Like Hourihane, he wasn't good enough to begin with, now pushing 32 & dropping down to League 1 should rule him (& Hourihane) out.

As for Long, I think he's in the "there if we need him" box if there's injuries/suspensions, but we're supposed to be "building a squad that can take us to the Euros" & he'll be 37 then. I'd much rather focus on bringing through the younger players.
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

I'll be very surprised if we ever see Collins in an Ireland squad again, hasn't been involved since October. Like Hourihane, he wasn't good enough to begin with, now pushing 32 & dropping down to League 1 should rule him (& Hourihane) out.

As for Long, I think he's in the "there if we need him" box if there's injuries/suspensions, but we're supposed to be "building a squad that can take us to the Euros" & he'll be 37 then. I'd much rather focus on bringing through the younger players.

this is the key point in my opinion, would be nice if he got a farewell though i guess. wonder how many he will score this season for reading
GreenDodger93 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2022 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I think it’s amazing given how much heavy lifting he did before 30 on the international stage that he isn’t yet reached a century of caps and become our second top scorer by a mile. 
I am absolutely not amazed that he isn't our second top scorer by a mile.
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 3:31pm
scores 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 3:31pm
Scores a penalty. 
pateen View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pateen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 6:30pm
Hon Shane. Up Tipp 
Flying so high, trying to remember
How many cigarettes did I bring along?
When I get down I'll jump in a taxi cab
Driving through London town, to cry you a song
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 2:26pm
94th min goal today. Call him up SK
Given's zimmerframe View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 3:01pm
Could still do a job for us imo
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 3:56pm
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 5:54pm
Similarish to the germany goal. Would be happy to have him on the bench ready to come on if we were doing ok against france
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by Given's zimmerframe Given's zimmerframe wrote:

Similarish to the germany goal. Would be happy to have him on the bench ready to come on if we were doing ok against france

Around the 2nd minute mark ? 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Originally posted by Given's zimmerframe Given's zimmerframe wrote:

Around the 2nd minute mark ? 

Nah around the same minute Neuer was scooping the ball out of his own net in lansdowne 2015
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 2:55pm
Out injured for the rest of the season. His contract is up in the summer, I wonder if that's it for him or if he'll try to pick up a deal for another season.
Dunne23 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunne23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Out injured for the rest of the season. His contract is up in the summer, I wonder if that's it for him or if he'll try to pick up a deal for another season.

Would love him in LOI but could definitely get a contract in MLS. Watched him in couple of games this season and still looked really mobile.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2023 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by Dunne23 Dunne23 wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Would love him in LOI but could definitely get a contract in MLS. Watched him in couple of games this season and still looked really mobile.

Cant see him uprooting anywhere outside of the South East of England his young family are very settled. He been doing his badges and a small bit of coaching at Reading from what I heard, he might look to a role similar to Whelan at Bristol of player/coach.
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 6:51am
Managed to make a come back before the end of the season but looks like yesterday was his final game before hanging up the boots.

Can't fault his work ethic anytime he pulled on the green jersey.

Should be interesting to see what he ends up doing in a coaching career
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

Managed to make a come back before the end of the season but looks like yesterday was his final game before hanging up the boots.

Can't fault his work ethic anytime he pulled on the green jersey.

Should be interesting to see what he ends up doing in a coaching career

Will he relinquish his jersey now or will it be his number in perpetuity?
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 303304305306>
  Share Topic