You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Long

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 298299300301302 306>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by amccarten313 amccarten313 wrote:

Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

Originally posted by amccarten313 amccarten313 wrote:

doesn't even make the bench today, after a decent start he has barely played recently, 4 minutes in the last month
He must be injured

dont think he is.. was on bench last game and team news on bournemouth website morning of match said no injury concerns..

Was injured and remains a doubtful for tomorrow.

I stand corrected. Hope he can return from the injury and make an impact in the playoffs
Sponsored Links

MacMathuna View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MacMathuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 9:25am
4th most premier league substitute appearances I just saw on match of the day stat. 148 appearances as sub.
Milner, crouch, defoe others I remember from list
Sinne Fianna Fáil atá fé gheall ag Éirinn.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by MacMathuna MacMathuna wrote:

4th most premier league substitute appearances I just saw on match of the day stat. 148 appearances as sub.
Milner, crouch, defoe others I remember from list

I've always maintained that that distorts his goalscoring figures.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 3:33pm
Long getting 20 minutes here 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 6:48pm
Good to see him still playing the odd EPL game, it's more than 15 years now since he made his Premier League debut - I can't imagine there have been too many Irish players who have made Premier League appearances more than 15 years apart.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Good to see him still playing the odd EPL game, it's more than 15 years now since he made his Premier League debut - I can't imagine there have been too many Irish players who have made Premier League appearances more than 15 years apart.

Yeah hes done well for an average enough player. I mean that in the sense that only Given, Dunne, O'Shea and Duff have played across more seasons in the Premier League. Roy and Robbie didnt even play that many.

Hes still very quick for pushing 35 too.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 4:08pm
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 4:10pm
Get in.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 4:13pm
"Y'all fell into the booby trap
I set the trap just to see dude react"

Jay-Z
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 11:25am
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 11:59am
If he makes an appearance for Southampton in 2022 he will have played in the Premier League in 15 different calendar years, which would be one more than Robbie Keane. 

Still looks about 25 as well.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 12:10pm

If he makes an appearance for Southampton in 2022 he will have played in the Premier League in 15 different calendar years, which would be one more than Robbie Keane. 

He looks younger now than Robbie did when he was breaking through.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

That's pretty incredible, Shane Long is a strong, very quick player that's also really good in the air and has been a fantastic outlet. But his only weakness is in front of goal where he's pretty terrible. 
That one whopper of a "but".
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

That's pretty incredible, Shane Long is a strong, very quick player that's also really good in the air and has been a fantastic outlet. But his only weakness is in front of goal where he's pretty terrible. 

Shane Long has some absolutely fantastic attributes. If the guy just had any knack in front of goal he would have been an unreal striker. And I think we would have been talking about him in the same way as we talk about Robbie Keane.

I also think that if Shane Long had the ability to score goals, he would have potentially played for a higher level champions League club. 
geansaí View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geansaí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 1:03pm
His ability and willingness to run into corners and chase things down was one of his biggest attributes and also the reason he has lasted so long.

At the same time that willingness was to the detriment of goalscoring, all the teams he played for used him primarily as a pair of legs for someone else's benefit or the teams benefit. His last season at Reading in the championship he was scoring for fun, would have been interesting to see him at a team slightly higher in the premiership to see if he could have been a goalscorer
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 2:36pm
He averaged about 1 in 3 starts until the season after he reached double figures in PL, at which point his goalscoring form drastically diminished.

It's important to note that when he signed for Southampton, Koeman took ages to start playing him regularly and he was shunted all over; LW, RW, AM, behind Pelle. He never complained and always put in a shift.

After the 15/16 season, he probably averaged <15 starts a season. He was already very much a squad player. In spite of this, he'll still come away from his spell at the club with memories of the goal against Liverpool that guaranteed them a cup final appearance and a record fastest PL goal.

He's not a great finisher but, in context, I don't think he's ever been as bad as some people determine.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 7:38pm
Nice assist to give Southampton an immediate equaliser against Swansea.

Obafemi got 90 minutes.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 7:39pm
Scores to them 3-2 up

Edited by Bandwagon - 08 Jan 2022 at 7:40pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 298299300301302 306>
  Share Topic