You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Long

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 297298299300301 306>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 1:46pm
Well this is certainly a bit of good news and that in itself sums up why Kenny has one hell of a rebuilding job ahead 
It would damage this forums' reputation
Sponsored Links

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 1:57pm
Imagine how good Shane Long would be (have been) if he could stick the ball in the net.. Strong in the air, bags of pace, great physicality, works his socks off. 

In a parallel universe he's sitting on 40+ international goals and is a striker known around Europe. Sticking the ball in the back of the net is easier said than done. Cry
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Imagine how good Shane Long would be (have been) if he could stick the ball in the net.. Strong in the air, bags of pace, great physicality, works his socks off. 

In a parallel universe he's sitting on 40+ international goals and is a striker known around Europe. Sticking the ball in the back of the net is easier said than done. Cry

It is actually unbelievable that he has not joined the Irish Century Club for senior caps, and become second top goalscorer behind Robbie. At 29 he had it all set up for that.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Always maintained it there was actually wierd links to Liverpool at one stage (bluster probably) but he was a £12m signing a few years ago I suspect the equivalent of 25-30m nowadays. If he could have found 15 goals a season even with his other assets he would have signed for a top 6 club or even an Everton that challenged for the Top 4/6 on occasion a few years ago. 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 5:18pm
His contemporaries Jon Walters and Kevin Doyle managed 94 career league goals and 98 career league goals respectively.

Long did it in 150 odd less starts than Walters and 70 odd less starts than Doyle as well while spending the vast majority of his career in the PL.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 12:01pm
Shane Long on the bench again, he's got a couple of goals I thought hed be good for a starting place, not sure what his performances were like though.

Bournemouth might see him as a good sub option.

Travers and kilkenny on the bench too. Completely pointless recalling Travers from loan and kilkenny needs a loan too
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 12:46pm
Long is in the twilight of his career so not a disastrous spot to be in. 

As for Travers just infuriating they called him back and Kilkenny likewise. The club has handled the development of both poorly.
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 4:43pm
disappointing Shane isn't starting. Saw highlights of his last two games and good to see him getting in situ to get tap ins in both. Also clearly still fast. Also still clearly a poor finisher, but seems best option we have at the moment

Edited by rebelbrowser - 27 Feb 2021 at 4:48pm
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 5:16pm
I appreciate that on occasion loan moves don't work out, but I can't for the life of me understand why Long has dropped down a league to sit on another bench...
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I appreciate that on occasion loan moves don't work out, but I can't for the life of me understand why Long has dropped down a league to sit on another bench...

Because Bournemouth is very close to Southampton and he's settled in the area.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

This cannot be argued with.
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 5:12pm
doesn't even make the bench today, after a decent start he has barely played recently, 4 minutes in the last month
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by amccarten313 amccarten313 wrote:

doesn't even make the bench today, after a decent start he has barely played recently, 4 minutes in the last month
He must be injured
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 2:35am
Originally posted by aviva8 aviva8 wrote:

He must be injured

dont think he is.. was on bench last game and team news on bournemouth website morning of match said no injury concerns..
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 8:17am
He's done lads, beyond occasional cameos off the bench for club and country. 

Although, as his record of five competitive international goals in 14 years shows, he was never as good as he was made out to be anyway.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 10:58am

He must be injured

dont think he is.. was on bench last game and team news on bournemouth website morning of match said no injury concerns..
Maybe he was injured and they weren't too concerned?
TigerRoll View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TigerRoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Maybe a move to Portsmouth for next season.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 7:28pm

He must be injured

Was injured and remains a doubtful for tomorrow.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/19239402.long-face-late-fitness-test-ahead-norwich-battle/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 297298299300301 306>
  Share Topic