You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Long

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 283284285286287 306>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 6:32pm
Now, at best, our 7th best striker? Thats nonsense Mick.....
Sponsored Links

AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by rebelbrowser rebelbrowser wrote:

Not starting for club. Obafemi wasn't included in squad and he's ahead of him in pecking order.
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 7:01pm

When was the last time Long had an impact for us?
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2019 at 10:06am
He was in v good form in run up to Euro 2016, scored against Holland and was excellent when he came on v Belarus. Was good but didnt score against Sweden but not great after that in the Euros (though won penalty v France). Has been in and out of the Irish team since, mostly with injury, but his 17 international goals to date, and the fact he is still a PL striker (albeit a sub this year) surely enough to keep him in the squad at least  - especially when you see the alternatives. The 5 strikers named in this squad have 1 goal between them I think. Shane has scored international goals against Germany, England  Holland, Russia, Denmark etc. Came on for a 10 man Southampton v Man Utd last month and lead the line superbly on his own for 30 mins. I stand by my view that it is crazy he is not in the squad.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 1:06pm
Shane Long starts for Southampton today. Obafemi is on the bench.

Has to be a good chance ofClark (if he starts today), McCarthy and Long receiving call ups in the next few days.

Am I right in saying that a 41 man provisional squad was named (but not given to the media) and that we can select anyone on it to be in the 23 man squad for the games?
Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 1:13pm
McCarthy isn’t going to announce a 23 man squad and then put other lads in ahead unless injuries of course. In this case he should have announced a 41 man squad earlier and finalised his squad after this round of games
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

McCarthy isn’t going to announce a 23 man squad and then put other lads in ahead unless injuries of course. In this case he should have announced a 41 man squad earlier and finalised his squad after this round of games

Weird that the one time that a 40 man squad might have been useful, we didn't name one.
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 2:03pm
if (big if) Shane does well, Mick will have no basis for not having him in the squad. Starting in the Premier league against Celsea and having 17 international goals surely ticks all boxes for being in the squad.
Jerryfromkerry View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerryfromkerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 2:22pm
Can't for the life of me understand why Shane Long isn't in the squad.
No man has the right to fix the boundary to the march of a nation. No man has the right to say to his country “thus far shalt thou go and no further"
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2019 at 2:29pm
That bang on the knee hasn't done him any good.Looked really up for it before that.  

Southampton's long PL stint might run out this season.Shambles at the back.

Edited by TonyNotJack - 06 Oct 2019 at 2:30pm
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 7:07pm
missed a pretty easy chance 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 7:09pm
Wasn't really easy, it was played behind him and on his weak foot, and he was only denied by a great goal line clearance. Southampton look much better overall since he's come on.
We're decent enough..
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Wasn't really easy, it was played behind him and on his weak foot, and he was only denied by a great goal line clearance. Southampton look much better overall since he's come on.

Ah, come off it. I'd have backed myself to score that and I've not played an 11 a side game in years. It was a sitter and he totally mish*t it. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Ah, come off it. I'd have backed myself to score that and I've not played an 11 a side game in years. It was a sitter and he totally mish*t it. 

Was a sitter alright, I knew O’Shea would be straight in to defend him.
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 3:09pm
aye bad misses!
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 8:14pm

He was in v good form in run up to Euro 2016, scored against Holland and was excellent when he came on v Belarus. Was good but didnt score against Sweden but not great after that in the Euros (though won penalty v France). Has been in and out of the Irish team since, mostly with injury, but his 17 international goals to date, and the fact he is still a PL striker (albeit a sub this year) surely enough to keep him in the squad at least  - especially when you see the alternatives. The 5 strikers named in this squad have 1 goal between them I think. Shane has scored international goals against Germany, England  Holland, Russia, Denmark etc. Came on for a 10 man Southampton v Man Utd last month and lead the line superbly on his own for 30 mins. I stand by my view that it is crazy he is not in the squad.

I agree with this post. 

Poor performance yesterday from the highlights I saw (in which he probably only touched the ball twice), so maybe it is just our fond memory of him. But he has proven it at the top level - most other strikers that may be ahead of him haven't. 
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 8:31pm
Shane Long should have dropped down to the championship 3 years ago. He's a confidence player and needs to be playing.

Dropping down would have provided more game time and most likely.more goals 
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 10:55pm
But less money. 3 years ago, at the age of 29, had he gone to a Championship club he would probably be looking at a 50% pay cut, and for what? A few more goals to improve his confidence?

He has managed c. 100 appearances for his club since then and has only been dropped from the Irish team since Mick came in, which has surprised most fans. Had he taken a drop to the Championship, and was playing/scoring regularly, he may still only be a sub behind McGoldrick.

I would still have him ahead of Hogan, Collins, Judge and Maguire.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 283284285286287 306>
  Share Topic