Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Long

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 274275276277278 306>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

He must be our second best premier league goalscorer. Duffy has a few more.

Duffy 5
Clark 3
Long 3
Doherty 3
Hendrick 2
Coleman 1
Obafemi 1
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

Great to see. For all the abuse he gets from fans, seanie maguire is hardly setting the championship a light
Maybe they are both sh*te? For all our domination against Georgia, we only scored from a free-kick and their keeper only had the save from Hourihane. 
Georgia hit the post from a similar distance to our goal and had an equally good chance. 
There was obvious improvement, but we are never going to qualify because we won’t score enough. 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 5:15pm

Great to see. For all the abuse he gets from fans, seanie maguire is hardly setting the championship a light

He could easily go another 6 months without scoring again, so would hold the praise. 

Regarding Maguire, I do worry about him going forward. Hopefully, he regains form (obviously dependent on PNE's form too.) But I do have a bad feeling about his short term future anyway.

I think he'll struggle to get close to starting in current Ireland team, and looking at some young strikers who might be arriving on the scene, I wonder will he ever really a get a decent shot. 

Unless he's BANGING the goals in, I don't see him starting many Ireland games the next 18 months. 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Maybe they are both sh*te? For all our domination against Georgia, we only scored from a free-kick and their keeper only had the save from Hourihane. 
Georgia hit the post from a similar distance to our goal and had an equally good chance. 
There was obvious improvement, but we are never going to qualify because we won’t score enough. 

I do agree here. While the performance was infinitely better than under MON, the fact is if that free kick doesnt go in, the optics are very different. 
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 5:46pm

You only need one goal to win a game. Not beating higher seeded teams was the issue and for 13 years we couldn’t beat one despite having Robbie Keane on 68 goals. Is there any point in scoring 7 goals v Gibraltar? Absolutely zero tbh
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 7:42pm

You only need one goal to win a game. Not beating higher seeded teams was the issue and for 13 years we couldn’t beat one despite having Robbie Keane on 68 goals. Is there any point in scoring 7 goals v Gibraltar? Absolutely zero tbh

I'm delighted for Long Citizen but Maguire had had injuries all through the season. He's also played out wide for Preston. Very unfair to judge him on a stop-start season for him. 

And from what I've seen in terms of finishing, he looks to be more of a natural goalscorer than most of our strikers including Long tbh. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 8:00pm

Exactly. We will struggle to get nil against better teams than Georgia.
DangerHere View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

I do agree here. While the performance was infinitely better than under MON, the fact is if that free kick doesnt go in, the optics are very different. 

While I see your point, the same could be said for ANY 1-0 win. 1994 if Houghton's shot had gone over we might not have won. 2001 if McAteer had ballooned his shot against the Dutch we might not have qualified for World Cup. The fact is the free kick did go in which gave us a level of comfort and changed the game.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 11:50am
Originally posted by DangerHere DangerHere wrote:

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

While I see your point, the same could be said for ANY 1-0 win. 1994 if Houghton's shot had gone over we might not have won. 2001 if McAteer had ballooned his shot against the Dutch we might not have qualified for World Cup. The fact is the free kick did go in which gave us a level of comfort and changed the game.
Of course, but we were never comfortable and, apart from Hendrick's inability to understand the offside rule, never looked like getting another. We deserved to be ahead, we deserved to win the game, but the problem remains that we struggle to create chances.
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 1:32pm
We created 3 or 4 very good chances in the 90 mins and were very comfortable.

At no point did it feel like we wouldn't win the match......
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Nobody is ever comfortable at 1-0. I thought their late strike was in. I also wouldn't have been confident we would score again if they had equalised just before half-time.
Their keeper made one save in the game, Randolph made two.

I am merely saying that for all the positives we can take from the game, the same problems still remain.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 2:08pm

Nobody is ever comfortable at 1-0. I thought their late strike was in. I also wouldn't have been confident we would score again if they had equalised just before half-time.

I am merely saying that for all the positives we can take from the game, the same problems still remain.
so what you're saying is, we scored with one of our two shots on target, whereas they didn't scored with either of their shots on target.

All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

so what you're saying is, we scored with one of our two shots on target, whereas they didn't scored with either of their shots on target.

We had already established that, what I am saying is that we struggle to create chances.
Gerry Geary View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Geary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 2:14pm
We need to get Hogan and Long back to the fullest. Then Obafeni and maguire and there we have McGoldrick who is yet to score but took 20 to get his first one in. them plus some youngster and we are there. France won 2 world cups with his starting main lone striker goalless
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 3:15pm
Bring back    BIG      sHERIDAN           and   that boy MASON........
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Gerry Geary Gerry Geary wrote:

We need to get Hogan and Long back to the fullest. Then Obafeni and maguire and there we have McGoldrick who is yet to score but took 20 to get his first one in. them plus some youngster and we are there. France won 2 world cups with his starting main lone striker goalless
You can't be comparing France with us surely. 
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 5:29pm
If the 4-3-3 we played against Georgia is going to be a system for us, he can do a job. He couldn’t play the McGoldrick role dropping deep passing etc, but he can do a great job executing a high press in one of the wing positions. Whatever his technical limitations, he can can batter a defence for 90 minutes and force errorsin games where we won’t expect to control the ball
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 6:07am
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Originally posted by Gerry Geary Gerry Geary wrote:

You can't be comparing France with us surely. 

With 2 of the world's best players either side of him LOL What a post.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 274275276277278 306>
  Share Topic