You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shane Long

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 269270271272273 306>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Great pass
Didn’t know he had that in his locker

A professional player crosses ball onto another player's head Confused

A professional footballer who's never shown a great technique or passing ability in his career so far.
It was a great cross that took defender and keeper out of it. Don't agree with Sounness and Shearer's analysis of it.

It is hardly an outstanding piece of football, he looked up and chipped a ball over towards the striker, wooooooooooooooo
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Sponsored Links

Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 3:54pm
Their new manager has said that he wants the team to do loads of running - was thinking that may suit Long LOL
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Dr. Pat View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 4:00pm
I think the goal oddly demonstrated a lot of what's wrong with Shane Long's game. Gets played a good ball into decent space and doesn't have the confidence to take it on. He then floats a bit of a nothing ball towards Austin which Leno misjudges horribly.
Geremi has let Kilbane in here, cross comes out to Holland, 1:1!!
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 4:02pm
Irish fans begrudging one of our players setting up the winner against Arsenal. This place is mental LOL
Dr. Pat View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 4:06pm
Not begrudging him at all. Shane is very likeable and honest. Just my assessment of the goal and his role in it.
Geremi has let Kilbane in here, cross comes out to Holland, 1:1!!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by Dr. Pat Dr. Pat wrote:

Not begrudging him at all. Shane is very likeable and honest. Just my assessment of the goal and his role in it.

You also happen to be correct.

Edited by horsebox - 17 Dec 2018 at 4:09pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 4:11pm
“Nothing ball” LOL
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Irish fans begrudging one of our players setting up the winner against Arsenal. This place is mental LOL

LOL

Anytime an irish player gets a goal or an assist its flagged up in this forum.

Long got a good assist yesterday and its wrong to say that apparently.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

LOL

Bananas.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 5:02pm
I think this point surmises why Irish football is in a horrible point of mediocrity, we are discussing a pass for a goal. Imagine how ludicrous that would have sounded even in our recent past, back when we had a few players that actually scored goals in DA PREMIER LEAGUE, best league in the world mate
Icy Bread People View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icy Bread People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 5:23pm
Yes all you had to do is go to page 221 in teletext every saturday and it'd be lit up with green scorers. Now we're talking about a pretty sh*tty cross that happened to result in a goal. Clutching at straws, these are bad times!
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 6:00pm
He's always been a surprisingly good crosser of the ball, it shouldn't be that shocking to anyone who actually watches him regularly. Ideally you'd like to see him getting on the end of them rather than providing them though, it's Austin who will get the plaudits at the end of the day.
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 4:10pm
Played well enough for the last half an hour vs Man City, but he's not even getting into goalscoring positions let alone missing chances anymore. He'll still be a useful partner for someone like McGoldrick/Hogan/Maguire, but I don't think there's any point playing him as a lone striker anymore, he simply won't score enough.
We're decent enough..
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 4:31pm
What did he do exactly? I’m all for taking positives from irish performances when it’s merited but you seem to find positives if a player comes on in injury time. 

Shane Long is a very average player and an even worse goal scorer. 

DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 4:43pm
The one opportunity he had he headed way over the bar that was about the sum of his contribution but that’s to be expected from him when you are just playing off scraps
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 6:00pm
Won 3-4 free kicks, held up the ball well, won a few flick ons. It was a decent performance. Southampton had essentially none of the ball, what exactly would you expect him to do?  And I've never said he was a goal threat, in fact that was exactly the point of my post.... He's not a goal threat, but he still has qualities that would make him a useful foil to our other strikers.

Edited by The O'Shea - 30 Dec 2018 at 6:26pm
We're decent enough..
pateen View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pateen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 6:24pm
Agreed
Flying so high, trying to remember
How many cigarettes did I bring along?
When I get down I'll jump in a taxi cab
Driving through London town, to cry you a song
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 10:39am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Won 3-4 free kicks, held up the ball well, won a few flick ons. It was a decent performance. Southampton had essentially none of the ball, what exactly would you expect him to do?  And I've never said he was a goal threat, in fact that was exactly the point of my post.... He's not a goal threat, but he still has qualities that would make him a useful foil to our other strikers.

All true. He has qualities that are very useful. Unfortunately he lacks a lot of skills, but he can still do a valuable job.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 269270271272273 306>
  Share Topic