You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Marc Wilson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 67>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 5:37am

Stoke City have won the race for Portsmouth captain Marc Wilson after the Republic of Ireland international arrived at the club to complete formalities on deadline day.

The Potters have been battling for much of the summer with West Ham and West Brom for the signature of the 23-year-old, with all three parties having bids in the region of £3million rejected at some stage.

Stoke upped the ante with a cash-plus-players bid involving Dave Kitson and Liam Lawrence which appears to have won out.

Portsmouth had desperately tried to hold onto Wilson but with the club still blighted by financial uncertainty they have finally relented in the battle for their most prized asset.

Wilson has been at Pompey since 2004, following four years in Manchester United's youth ranks.

After several caps at Under 21 level for the Republic of Ireland, he earned his first senior call up in March.

Edited by Propagandhi® - 31 Aug 2010 at 5:38am
Sponsored Links

Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 5:52am
Strange move for Lawrence,he is good enough for EPL.
Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 11:03am
This deal has gone through officially. Is it likely he will start games with Whelan? This could only be good news for us, if they can form a good partnership.
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)
stiffler View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 12:09pm
Good move for Marc, hope he gets regular football, and hopefully break into the squad over the next 6months.
jb37 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jb37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 12:11pm
great to see him back in the premier league.  Interesting to see if he can have a really good season and break into the ireland setup
AndyMc View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyMc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by Sono Sono wrote:

Strange move for Lawrence,he is good enough for EPL.

Don't mean to sound smart but if he was that good someone would have signed him, he was going cheap and had been yapping on about Celtic so everyone knew he was available.

What is weird is that he has kept McGeady out of our team, and yet mcgeady goes for 9.5 million and Lawrence couldn't get a club.

It is a sh*t move for him, they will have no players, he won't get paid on time etc but at least he will play every week, and st ledger is doing well for us despite playing in that league too
Simon: No-one brings a bag of sh*t to a pub

Jay: Your dad does

Simon: Does he?

Jay: Yeah, your mum

Propagandhi® View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 1:49pm
Lawrence has been more effective in 8 games for Ireland than McGeady has in thrice that amount of games.
The Drifter View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Drifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by Propagandhi® Propagandhi® wrote:

Lawrence has been more effective in 8 games for Ireland than McGeady has in thrice that amount of games.

ah man, give mcgeady a chance. he's a good player, and he certainly isn't an impact player. when he's started for ireland, he's done quite a good job. he's not one for coming off the bench and playing which a lot of his games for ireland before trap have been. games he has started such as denmark in a friendly a few years back, georgia home and away he has been superb. i feel he'll make a big impact on friday in duff's absence. and he prefers playing the left wing
My dream has always been to play for the Republic of Ireland - James McClean.
davekoolhill View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davekoolhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 3:32pm
Super Wilson, this lad has gone from strenght to strenght. 
Twitter: DaveOGrady1
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2010 at 8:01am
Marc Wilson insists that it did not take long to make up his mind on a switch to Stoke City, following a conversation with manager Tony Pulis.

The former Portsmouth captain made a move to the Britannia Stadium after a period of heavy speculation, with the player being linked with moves to Fulham, West Bromwich Albion and West Ham United before the eventual transfer.

"I was impressed with what Tony had to say from the start," Wilson told The Sentinel. "He was very positive and it didn't take me long to make my mind up.

"I'd heard West Ham were interested, but I didn't speak to anyone there.

"This is a great club and I couldn't wait to come back to the Premier League because it is every player's ambition to be in the top flight.

"I had a taste of the Premier League last season and I wanted to get back there as soon as possible.

"Leaving Portsmouth was difficult because I've been there for so long, but I wish them well and my aim now is to do my best for Stoke."

Wilson also expressed happiness at joining along with experienced players Jermaine Pennant and Eidur Gudjohnsen, both of whom have experience playing at clubs that regularly compete in the Champions League.

Now the 23-year-old is looking towards impressing the gaffer enough to be handed a starting role in the upcoming game against Aston Villa on September 13, but insists that he will fight for his place in the line-up should he be omitted.

"Obviously Eidur and Jermaine are top players and it was a good feeling to be joining the club on the same day," he said.

"But there are a number of very good players here already.

"There has already been a bit of banter thrown around and it seems to be a lively dressing room.

"Hopefully I can make my debut against Aston Villa and build a good rapport with them straight away.

"But if I'm not selected, I'll bide my time until I get my chance."

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 10:16am

NEW STOKE CITY signing Marc Wilson says he has no intentions of turning his back on the Republic of Ireland and returning to his native Northern Ireland despite his omission from the squad for the start of the Euro 2012 qualifiers.

And instead, the 23-year-old is fully focused on his task of winning a place in the Stoke City midfield and establishing himself with the Republic under Giovanni Trapattoni.

Due to the international break over the past week, Wilson was able to get to know his new club Stoke, having signed for Tony Pulis' side from Portsmouth on transfer deadline day in a deal which saw Pompey get £2m, and Stoke players Liam Lawrence and Dave Kitson in exchange.

So, instead of lining out for the Republic in their Euro 2012 qualifier at home to Armenia, Co Antrim native Wilson spent Tuesday playing for Stoke in a friendly game against Crewe, where Wilson played 45 minutes and scored in a 3-1 win.

Wilson, capped once at U21 level by the Republic, admits he was disappointed not to make the Irish squad for the Armenia and Andorra matches and there were fears in some quarters that he was being punished by Giovanni Trapattoni for pulling out of the squad for the previous three Ireland games -- Wilson was injured for the May friendlies against Algeria and Paraguay and was needed by his club for the Argentina game last month.

Players such as Wigan's James McCarthy have been exiled from the senior panel after pulling out of a squad as Trapattoni has made it clear that he demands complete loyalty from his players -- which prompted fears that McCarthy (born in Scotland) and Wilson (born in Northern Ireland) would come to rue their decision to declare for the Republic.

But despite the snub, former Northern Ireland underage international Wilson says he has no regrets about his decision to the Republic and he hopes that a run of form in the Premier League with Stoke can earn him his ticket to the Euro 2012 qualifiers.

"I was disappointed not to make the squad for the Andorra and Armenia matches, you're always disappointed when you're left out," Wilson told the Herald.

"But I am fully committed to the Republic and it's not even on the agenda for me to back off from playing for them, I just have to wait for my chance to come along.

"I made up my mind a long time ago to play for the Republic. I know in my heart that it was the right decision and I am sticking with it, playing for someone else has never even entered my head," added Wilson.

"It wasn't explained to me why I didn't make the last squad but that doesn't bother me too much. I just have to get my head down, work hard on getting into the Stoke team and hope that things can come from that.

"I saw the Armenian game last week and the Andorra match on Tuesday, and they were two great wins. Six points from two matches is a superb start to the group and the team are well-placed now before those big games with Russia and Slovakia next month, I just hope I can play a part."

Wilson played at U17 and U19 level for Northern Ireland but the man from Aghagallon, Co Antrim, was always eager to play for the Republic, making his debut in an U21 international against Luxembourg in 2006, in the same side as Anthony Stokes and Andy Keogh.

After some superb form in defence for Portsmouth last season -- Wilson is a natural midfielder but was pressed into action at centre half by Pompey -- he was promoted to the senior panel for the friendly against Brazil in London, where Wilson was an unused sub. He was again summoned by Trapattoni for the May friendlies at the RDS but injury forced him to pull out.

"I came over to Dublin to be assessed by the FAI staff so there was no question over the injury, it was the same injury that kept me out of the FA Cup final," said Wilson.

But the problem seems to have arisen when he missed out on the Argentina match last month so he could play in a Carling Cup tie with Stevenage.

"I didn't really have much choice in the matter, Steve Cotterill really wanted me to play in the game," said Wilson. "The club needed me as Portsmouth had a very small squad. Due to all that was going on, with few players available, we didn't even have a full bench for the game.

"Progress in the Carling Cup was good financially for the club and they needed the money so I had to miss the game. I never spoke to Trapattoni about it, I spoke to the FAI administration to let them know, so I can just hope that it's not held against me and I get another chance with Ireland."

Since then, Wilson has moved back to the Premier League thanks to that deadline day transfer to Stoke and, though it was a wrench to leave Fratton Park, where he had been captain, the move will benefit the 23-year-old.

"It was difficult for me to leave Portsmouth. I was there for eight years and had some great times there, played in Europe and reached the Cup final, and I was club captain too, but the move was a no-brainer, really. It suited everyone for me to go, especially Portsmouth as they got some money and two very good players in exchange for me. I think Pompey have done well out of the deal," he said.

"It will take me time to settle in as I had been used to Portsmouth for so long. I'm in a hotel at the moment and it's never nice to be living out of a suitcase but I'll start looking for my own place this week so I can really settle.

"I played on Tuesday against Crewe, I only played 45 minutes as we more or less used two teams, the manager just wanted to have a look at everyone as we have few new signings on board and he wanted to give them a run-out.

"I think I did well, I scored a nice goal but I don't know if I'll be in the team for the Aston Villa game on Monday. We have a few more days of training before then and the manager will want to assess the fitness of the lads who were playing in the internationals on Tuesday. But hopefully I can at least play a part against Villa.

"I played in central midfield against Crewe and that was a boost for me as that's the position I want to play in. I played a lot of my football in defence for Portsmouth over the last while, but I feel my natural position is in the middle of the park. I like to get on the ball and make things happen and hopefully I can do that at Stoke," he added.

"When Tony Pulis signed me, he said he was bringing me in as a central midfielder and that's where I want to play, but I can also do a job in defence if needed so hopefully I'll be an asset to the team."

Wilson may even enter a battle with fellow Irishman Glenn Whelan for a place in the Stoke side, as the pair are in competition for a central midfield role.

"It will be hard to get in ahead of Glenn as he's established with Stoke and with Ireland, he's been playing in the Premier League for a while now.

"I know it will be hard to get games, with Ireland and with Stoke, they both have so many great players available. I think the Irish squad will be even stronger next month if people like Damien Duff and Stephen Hunt are back, so the competition is intense.

"But if I can do well in training between now and the Villa game on Monday, get into the team and do well, I might have a chance.

"I want to do well with Stoke this season. Getting relegated with Portsmouth last season was hard to take, especially as we'd done so well in getting to the Cup final."

Belfast Green View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Belfast Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 10:53am
Wilson never played at u19 level for the pub team

He also played at u18,u19 & u21 levels for Ireland.
aidz View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aidz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 10:59am
From the odd occasion i seen him on the tele, i thought him a decent player.
hope he continues his form and makes the squad soon, though given trapps history on it, wouldnt hold out much hope for next months aquad.
You'll never beat the Irish
stiffler View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 1:15pm
Marc making his debut tonight on SS1 in midfield.

Dont think the thread title is relevant though, he is 100% committed to ireland.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by stiffler stiffler wrote:

Dont think the thread title is relevant though, he is 100% committed to ireland.

Thumbs%20Up
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 1:27pm

Disappointing to see Whelan dropped.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 2:16pm
It should be Andrews, Wilson, Fahey or Gibson in that order against Russia. Playing Green is asking for trouble. Ideally I would like to see Andrews recover and get at least 1 game for Blackburn and I'd like to see Wilson star for Stoke and give Trap some good selection problems.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 3:02pm

Wilson looks a bit lost tonight.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 67>
  Share Topic