Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Marc Wilson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 67>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 5:27pm
Lad is muck. Third tier career awaits the boy.

Edited by Clonbhoy - 12 Aug 2010 at 5:28pm
Sponsored Links

Drummerboy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drummerboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 3:33am
Wilson has a big career in the premiership ahead of him. His qualities are obvious to anybody who knows anything about the game.
Propagandhi® View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 7:00am

West Brom manager Roberto Di Matteo has not ruled out a renewed bid for Marc Wilson but he admits that it will be difficult to force a deal when Portsmouth do not want to sell.

Pompey boss Steve Cotterill revealed last week that his club had rejected a bid from the Premier League Baggies for his captain, with skysports.com having broken the news earlier in August.

Wilson has been excellent for Portsmouth in the opening matches of this season and his versatility makes him an attractive prospect for top-flight new boys West Brom, who were hammered by Chelsea last weekend.

Di Matteo has remained coy on making another approach for Wilson but he does acknowledge that Cotterill is unlikely to sell one of his best players.

"We made an offer for Wilson and it's been rejected," the West Brom boss told the Birmingham Mail. "As he is not our player I won't comment too much on it.

"It's difficult to say what will happen because if a club doesn't want to sell we can't do much."

Drummerboy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drummerboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 7:11am
West Ham now showing interest in Wilson.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 12:25pm

Steve Cotterill has hit out at West Ham for poaching staff from Portsmouth but warned that Marc Wilson will be harder to prise away.

Avram Grant managed Pompey last season before leaving over the summer to take charge at Upton Park.

He then appointed senior coach Paul Groves and goalkeeping coach David Coles, while Cotterill says the club analyst could soon be on his way to West Ham as well.

The Portsmouth boss is unhappy with the situation but does not expect the Hammers to try and sign defender Wilson.

The highly-rated 23-year-old has been linked with a move to the Premier League club and Cotterill hopes that if Grant is interested he will conduct his business in an appropriate manner.

"Surely West Ham have done their swooping on Portsmouth, There is a manager, assistant manager and a goalkeeping coach," Cotterill told Sky Sports News.

Sympathy

"From what I hear as well they are going to be nicking our analyst, so I am sure there is nothing else that Avram wants to take from me.

"I'm sure he'll look down at us with some sympathy and not put in a bid for Marc Wilson.

"I would hope he'd come to me but he hasn't done about our analyst."

Cotterill maintains that Wilson remains an integral part of his plans at Fratton Park and will not be going anywhere.

Asked what would happen if the player hinted he wanted to leave, Cotterill replied: "It doesn't matter if he does. He is captain and I want him here."

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 8:20pm

Portsmouth are not interested in doing business with West Bromwich Albion over defender Marc Wilson.

Wilson is also being linked with West Ham United and Fulham.

The Daily Mail says of all the possible suitors, Blues manager Steve Cotterill is reluctant to deal with West Bromwich as the feeling around Portsmouth is that they haven't gone through the proper channels to register their interest.

West Bromwich will be puzzled by that, but will have realised over recent weeks that they are banging their heads against a brick wall after increasing their offers to around £2.5million.

If Wilson is to leave, Portsmouth would want proper recompense and probably players in return as they desperately try to boost their squad numbers.

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 7:20am

Albion have had a second bid for Portsmouth captain Marc Wilson rejected by the championship club.

The Baggies increased their bid from the initial £2.5m, but the new offer was also rebuffed by Pompey.

The south coast club claimed today that the Baggies had upped their bid to £3m but the Express &Star understands the figure is not that high.

The new bid was revealed today by Pompey administrator Andrew Andronikou, who refused to rule out selling the 23-year-old.

Andronikou, who claimed manager Steve Cotterill is determined to keep Wilson, said Albion’s new bid was worth £3m, although the Baggies are not yet believed to have reached that figure.

Andronikou said: “West Brom offered us £3m plus add-ons but that has been turned down.

“Steve Cotterill does not want to sell such an important player.

“At the moment, as a club he is not a player we have identified to sell.

“We will have to wait and see what happens.”

Wilson has emerged as one of Albion’s top targets as they look to recruit a new defensive midfielder to bolster their squad.

Ireland4ever View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ireland4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 11:10am
Thought since they are in administration that they had to sell.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 12:10pm
Portsmouth have rejected an offer in excess of €3.6 million from West Bromwich Albion for Irish midfielder Marc Wilson.

Portsmouth’s administrator Andrew Andronikou confirmed that the initial bid of €3.6million plus add-ons has been rejected by Portsmouth but has not ruled out the possibility of the Portsmouth captain leaving Fratton Park before the transfer window closes at the end of the month.

He said: “Steve Cotterill does not want to sell such an important player. At the moment, as a club he is not a player we have identified to sell. We will have to wait and see what happens."

It is the second time this summer that the midlands club managed by Roberto Di Matteo have tried to sign the Irish player, who can play in midfield or as a defender.

Born in Armagh, Wilson played for Northern Ireland at Under-15 and Under-17 level before opting to switch allegiances to the Republic of Ireland.

An eligibility dispute between the IFA and the FAI surrounding Wilson, Darron Gibson and Daniel Kearns was resolved at the Court of Arbitration for Sport in favour of the FAI in July of this year.

Wilson (23) has been capped at Under-21 level for the Republic of Ireland and was an unused substitute in Giovanni Trappatoni’s senior squad for the friendly against Brazil at the Emirates Stadium in March. He has not been included in Ireland’s squad for the first two games in the European Championship qualifiers against Armenia and Andorra next month.

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 7:27am
ALBION will decide this week whether to make a third bid for Portsmouth’s Marc Wilson.

That’s according to first-team coach Michael Appleton, who revealed that the Baggies remained keen on the utility man.

“We’ve put in a second bid, they’ve not accepted it and that’s where we are,” said Appleton.

“I don’t know whether there will be a third bid.

“He’s a good player, they have their price, we have our price.

“We’re aware of the targets we need and one or two new faces would lift people again. But it’s one thing wanting them, another thing getting them.”

Appleton praised Sam Mantom, who set-up the opener at Leyton Orient.

“Sam was outstanding in his first game for the club,” he added. “He’s a good footballer and one of the lads we knew would mature later. He’s got that ability to set up goals and that’s why we put him on set-plays.

“When he’s got players around him like Simon Cox and Steven Reid then he can link up play.”

Edited by Propagandhi® - 25 Aug 2010 at 7:27am
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 7:29am
The closer the closing of the transfer window gets the more likely it 'seems', when perhaps the less it should be, that Marc Wilson will be moving on...

Bids of £2m and £3m from West Brom have been turned down; with it 'said' an increased offer of £3.5m plus add-ons and a player will be the next offer, if it is not already on the table?

Fulham have 'emerged' as a potential suitor and sent former Pompey defender Kit Symons to Fratton last night to watch him - he is a scout with them now apparently - with Newcastle and Stoke also 'loitering with intent.'

The most likely move 'appears' as though it will be to Stoke, who seem to have become a 'link-up' club with us.

It is 'said' they are offering something like £3.5m plus at least one player. Dave Kitson's name has been 'reported' more than once, although for me I cannot see this happening as he would not agree personal terms I do not think for starters...

It has been said over and over that he is not for sale, we do not want to sale him and it has even been suggested we 'do not need' to sell him - clearly we need to sell players. For the first time Steve Cotterill, talking to The News today, has all but admitted that he is off.

Clearly we have to do what is best for the club, and we do need to raise finances but, and again for me - maybe unfairly, with it 'almost certain' that Balram Chainrai will be taking over, would it not send out a good statement of intent by looking to prevent this move?

Actually taking over after the transfer window closes of course reduces the call for 'money to be spent', not that it should, but it does allow for players to go and this will, in some peoples minds I am sure, simple add to the thoughts that stripping away what can be stripped away to get back the money that has been put in is the intention...

As I say working to retain a player like Wilson, who would be beneficial to the club, would lay down a marker of intent, right?

I continue to hope that Wilson will be here come the start of September although it is looking increasingly unlikely, despite his appearance last night in the shootout win over Palace, that he will be here come Saturday, let alone beyond this...

Read more: http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=210708#ixzz0xcVpomEl
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 11:06am

Steve Cotterill has admitted he is powerless to prevent captain Marc Wilson leaving Portsmouth.

West Brom have had a £3million bid turned down and Fulham are interested while Stoke are thought to be lining up a player-plus-cash deal in a bid to tempt cash-strapped Pompey to part with one of their prized assets.

The deal for the Irish defender is set to be worth around £3.5m, with the likes of striker Dave Kitson, midfielder Michael Tonge or young defender Ryan Shotton potentially heading to Fratton Park.

And although Cotterill has told administrator Andrew Andronikou he would like to keep the 23-year-old, he is aware the decision could be out of their hands.

The Pompey manager therefore admits that last night's penalty shoot-out win over Crystal Palace in the Carling Cup could be Wilson's last game for the club.

"If there is something happening I'd rather not say anything," Cotterill told The News.

"Maybe I've spoken to the administrator about it and he didn't need to speak to me.

Difficult position

"I have to say I really don't want him to go anywhere, but if I get to the situation where the club needs money, I don't know what I can do about that. I might have that meeting.

"What's the chances of Marc being around for the weekend? It depends on what I get. There are a couple of clubs who are interested in Marc.

"There are good players at Stoke, but there are good players all around the Premier League.

"It's difficult but what do you do if someone comes in and gives you money and/or players?

"Marc Wilson is a quality player, but maybe this football club is not in a position to say no."

Stability

There could be even more player movement at Fratton Park as the transfer deadline approaches and Cotterill admits Pompey's off-field issues are making it increasingly difficult for his side to produce the goods on the field.

"There are a lot of things which go on at this club that I don't know about," he added.

"Sometimes I find out later and that bugs me a bit.

"But there is so much going on. Until we get stability above my head it will be difficult for my players to have focus."

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 6:25pm

Stoke are signing Portsmouth captain Marc Wilson for £3million plus striker Dave Kitson. 

Manager Steve Cotterill revealed on Wednesday that Wilson could be sold by the time he prepares his side for the visit of Cardiff City in the Championship this weekend.

Marc%20Wilson%20
Dave%20Kitson%20

Switch: Wilson is set for Stoke, while Kitson will join the Championship strugglers

Pompey have already turned down two bids of £2.5m and £3m from West Bromwich Albion for the midfielder having previously insisted their captain was not for sale

But Stoke manager Tony Pulis looks certain to pip West Brom to the 23-year-old midfielder after talks were held on Wednesday.

Pulis will off-load Kitson, plus possibly one further player, three seasons after paying £5.5m to Reading for the hit-man.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1306177/Stoke-beat-West-Brom-sign-Marc-Wilson-offering-3m-Dave-Kitson.html?ito=feeds-newsxml#ixzz0xfAnK4Da
The Drifter View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Drifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 6:30pm
superb news for wilson. glad to see him back in the premiership. 
My dream has always been to play for the Republic of Ireland - James McClean.
Belfast Green View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Belfast Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2010 at 5:47am
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Propagandhi® Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2010 at 6:06am

Sky Sports News understands Portsmouth are in talks with Liam Lawrence as part of a deal which would see Marc Wilson join Stoke City.

Stoke have emerged as favourites to sign Wilson after West Bromwich Albion recently saw a £3million offer rejected.

Pompey boss Steve Cotterill has admitted he would be powerless to prevent Wilson leaving Fratton Park if the club receive the right offer.

And it appears Stoke are prepared to offer players in exchange for Wilson, with Lawrence and Dave Kitson discussing moves to Portsmouth.

Republic of Ireland international Lawrence has not been involved in the Potters' opening three games of the season and his future at the Britannia Stadium is uncertain.

The midfielder was keen on a move to Celtic earlier in the summer, but then vowed to stay at Stoke after the deal failed to materialise.

However, it is understood that the former Sunderland player is in talks regarding the possibility of dropping down to the Championship with Pompey.

Lawrence's Stoke team-mate Kitson, who has not featured for Tony Pulis' side so far this season, is also discussing a move to the South Coast.

I think Portsmouth would be a terrible move for Lawro. It's surprising that more teams aren't coming in for him.
Justice No. 1 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justice No. 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2010 at 7:17am
How can anyone who spells there name Marc be taken seriously?
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2010 at 8:39am
mad how football works, Wilson being bought, not in the world cup squad and probably won't be until November. Lawerence a starter for us and being shipped off as part of the deal to get Wilson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 67>
  Share Topic